C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK..fog lights, interior lights and tail lights don't work..??

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 01:07 PM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default OK..fog lights, interior lights and tail lights don't work..??

I went out this morning, it was raining so I decided to turn the fog lights on and drive to work.

Nothing.

If I turn the switch up to the "headlight" position, then the headlights turn on but no tail lights, fog lights or interior lights.

I have no control over the brightness of the gauges or anything via the illumination **** either.

The fog light L.E.D. doesn't light up either on the little switch panel where the hatch release is.

I cleaned out the contacts on the multi-function switch about a year ago.

Is there any chance I just blew a fuse? Should I clean those contacts again or just replace the whole multi-function switch?

No codes.

Thank you for any ideas/suggestions,

Donnie
Old 03-02-2011, 01:17 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Corvette
I went out this morning, it was raining so I decided to turn the fog lights on and drive to work.

Nothing.

If I turn the switch up to the "headlight" position, then the headlights turn on but no tail lights, fog lights or interior lights.

I have no control over the brightness of the gauges or anything via the illumination **** either.

The fog light L.E.D. doesn't light up either on the little switch panel where the hatch release is.

I cleaned out the contacts on the multi-function switch about a year ago.

Is there any chance I just blew a fuse? Should I clean those contacts again or just replace the whole multi-function switch?

No codes.

Thank you for any ideas/suggestions,

Donnie
In the passenger footwell, minifuse 32, is for the fogs. All the switch does, is provide a 12 volt input, to the BCM. The BCM turns on the fogs, and the LED on the panel. Also check minifuse #6. The BCM also controls the Park lamp relay, which has an output to the interior lights circuit. Probably a good idea, to check for moisture by the BCM.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:27 PM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lucky131969
In the passenger footwell, minifuse 32, is for the fogs. All the switch does, is provide a 12 volt input, to the BCM. The BCM turns on the fogs, and the LED on the panel. Also check minifuse #6. The BCM also controls the Park lamp relay, which has an output to the interior lights circuit. Probably a good idea, to check for moisture by the BCM.
Thanks Lucky. I'll check it all out on my next smoke break..

"shouldn't" be any moisture as I clean those drains pretty often and cut the end off of the AC box drain but I'll still check just to be safe.

After reading through my personal corvette forum archive..I'm pretty sure I've just got to pull that multi-function switch again and add some tension to those contacts inside OR just replace the whole thing.

Thank you again for the help man..hey the 'bcm turns on the fogs and the led on the panel'...does this mean that if the LED is NOT on, the multi function switch is NOT the problem and it's more than likely the BCM/fuse?

Donnie
Old 03-02-2011, 01:59 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Corvette
Thanks Lucky. I'll check it all out on my next smoke break..

"shouldn't" be any moisture as I clean those drains pretty often and cut the end off of the AC box drain but I'll still check just to be safe.

After reading through my personal corvette forum archive..I'm pretty sure I've just got to pull that multi-function switch again and add some tension to those contacts inside OR just replace the whole thing.

Thank you again for the help man..hey the 'bcm turns on the fogs and the led on the panel'...does this mean that if the LED is NOT on, the multi function switch is NOT the problem and it's more than likely the BCM/fuse?

Donnie
The MFS does have to be in "park" or "on", to activate the BCM, and in turn, the fog lamps. Given the nature of the issue, and since it just rained, i just wanted you to be aware of a possible common denominator, and to look at the BCM immediately, in the event it did get wet.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:10 PM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lucky131969
The MFS does have to be in "park" or "on", to activate the BCM, and in turn, the fog lamps. Given the nature of the issue, and since it just rained, i just wanted you to be aware of a possible common denominator, and to look at the BCM immediately, in the event it did get wet.
Okie dokie. Thank you again for responding so quickly.

Take care,

Donnie
Old 03-03-2011, 10:39 PM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Well, got it all fixed today..same issue as before, the contacts lost tension.

I still checked both fuses and the BCM area for any moisture just to be on the safe side. Fuses were good and BCM dry as a whistle.

Pulled the MFS, opened it up and "bent" the little contacts again.

I'm going to go ahead and buy another one just to have it ready cause I'm sure this will happen again. (2nd time in the last 2 years)

Added some puddle lights and blue leds today also, clayed the whole car then followed with a polish/wax. Then it rained. LOL

Take care and thanks again for the help Lucky,

Donnie
Old 08-20-2012, 08:18 PM
sinolav
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you looked at this thread? http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...tion-long.html

My son and I are having similar problems with his C4.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:57 PM
dniceplyr
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Console lights and fog lights don't work

My console lights will not come on when I turn my headlights on. Also my fog lights don't work either. The console lights come on when I open my door, also the fog lights come on when I select the high beam. Does anyone have advice? The dealership said there confused. But, they said that procedures tells them to replace the instrument panel dimmer module for $500 labor included. He also said he doesn't know if this is the problem and it's non-refundable. The only other option he said would be to replace the cluster for $700.

Get notified of new replies

To OK..fog lights, interior lights and tail lights don't work..??

Quick Reply: OK..fog lights, interior lights and tail lights don't work..??