C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions reguarding lifter and valve hold-up methods during cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 08:02 AM
Sea Five
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ~Joshua
The claw type tool and it's issues were mentioned in another thread a while back. I posted that I had two sets of springs from different batches fail (year between batches) after a few thousand miles. One of the engines was destroyed. Since then I've used the same springs on other swaps using the cheap eBay lever tool instead and none have had issues.

I'll never use that claw tool again! If you did, you should honestly look to buy another set of springs and install them with a different tool.
the tool DID make it difficult to install, but i made it work.. ive used it once before on my LT1 hot cam swap and never had a problem on that car.

what model springs were failing on you?
Old 03-06-2011, 08:31 AM
vsocks1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Sea Five
the tool DID make it difficult to install, but i made it work.. ive used it once before on my LT1 hot cam swap and never had a problem on that car.

what model springs were failing on you?
Oh no....you will have to watch this carefully as that tool has reported to do some damage.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Sea Five
Racer

on dual .675 valvesprings with a .595/.598 cam?!?!?!!

i want more info, whos broken them and at what rpm with what setup, what power levels?
Old 03-06-2011, 08:05 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

on dual .675 valvesprings with a .595/.598 cam?!?!?!!

i want more info, whos broken them and at what rpm with what setup, what power levels?
The same tool did 2 sets of Comp 918s that a year apart that both broke. And years previous I used the same type tool on some LT4 springs and one of the outer doubles broke.

That tool makes scratches in the surface treatment. Gorilla strength getting heavy duals compressed I'm sure gouged the heck out of 'em under a microscope.

If it were me, I wouldn't trust those springs now because of the tool. Your results may vary.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:08 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

.675 springs on a .595 cam is wayy too much spring anyway.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Sea Five
Racer

oh, the comp 918's? the springs that had thousands of batches recalled because they were breaking reguardless of installation? i remember those springs, comp recalled everyones sets and replaced them free of charge. everyone was upgrading to the 921's at the time. and the 918 is a single spring if i recall correctly.

and i am aware of the overkill springs. TSP upgraded me due to not having the .600 springs in stock.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:54 AM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

oh, the comp 918's? the springs that had thousands of batches recalled because they were breaking reguardless of installation? i remember those springs, comp recalled everyones sets and replaced them free of charge. everyone was upgrading to the 921's at the time. and the 918 is a single spring if i recall correctly.

and i am aware of the overkill springs. TSP upgraded me due to not having the .600 springs in stock.
Like I said....Comp 918s bought a year apart.... along with the LT4 springs that broke.... along with other people here (who have been giving you advice) that warn against what that tool which is KNOWN to cause failures.

But hey, we're all saying this stuff for nothing...... carry on.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Sea Five
Racer

you're mistaking me. I appreciate all the advice and knowledge from you guys. thats why im looking deeper into it rather than turn the other cheek.

is there any threads about this tool causing harm? did this ever happen to anyone using the PRC .675 dual springs on a smaller camshaft?

i understand the possibilities. i also understand folks using a 620+ lift cam put a ton of stress on valve springs.

those that broke them, what cam was being run with what springs? what rpm was the engine spun to? any power adders, or larger than stock applications?

importantly, what was the oil temperature at the time of failure? was tyhe engine warmed properly or just started from a colder state, and drag raced or dyno'ed?

all these AND possibly that tool can contribute to failed valve springs. lets narrow it down
Old 03-07-2011, 12:09 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 77 Likes on 73 Posts

you're mistaking me. I appreciate all the advice and knowledge from you guys. thats why im looking deeper into it rather than turn the other cheek.

is there any threads about this tool causing harm? did this ever happen to anyone using the PRC .675 dual springs on a smaller camshaft?

i understand the possibilities. i also understand folks using a 620+ lift cam put a ton of stress on valve springs.

those that broke them, what cam was being run with what springs? what rpm was the engine spun to? any power adders, or larger than stock applications?

importantly, what was the oil temperature at the time of failure? was tyhe engine warmed properly or just started from a colder state, and drag raced or dyno'ed?

all these AND possibly that tool can contribute to failed valve springs. lets narrow it down
Don't get distracted by these naysayers. Bolt the engine together......and give er hell
Old 03-07-2011, 06:07 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

As stated in my first post, you are scratching the most important surface of the spring with that tool. Not sure if you did actually scratch the material or if you did how much but rather felt I should tell you that if you did your spring life is now reduced. The other items you list are minor contributors compared to damage of the pre-stressed outer surface of the material. I would highly recommend a very detailed and close inspection or replacement. The last thing you want is a failed valve spring. Believe me, I know how frustrating it can be doing this twice, but if a spring lets go you will wish you had and I couldn't not tell you of the risk involved. In the end its your call.

Quick Reply: Questions reguarding lifter and valve hold-up methods during cam swap