C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Marine 2 cycle oil --> ethanol gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 11:25 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Marine 2 cycle oil --> ethanol gas

Anyone ever heard of or tried adding 2 cycle marine oil to ethanol gas (E10) to reduce it's corrosive properties and lubricate the fuel system? This is at 1 oz per 5 gallons of gas.

I spoke with a guy today who swears by this stuff (better mpg and smoother idle) and I wanted to get CF'ers opinions and thoughts.

There is a long thread on it here:
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...highlight=TCW3
Old 03-11-2011, 11:33 PM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by jedblanks
Anyone ever heard of or tried adding 2 cycle marine oil to ethanol gas (E10) to reduce it's corrosive properties and lubricate the fuel system? This is at 1 oz per 5 gallons of gas.

I spoke with a guy today who swears by this stuff (better mpg and smoother idle) and I wanted to get CF'ers opinions and thoughts.

There is a long thread on it here:
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...highlight=TCW3

This is absurd, but I get the feeling you are going to try it anyways.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:40 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

That was actually my initial reaction as well. I'd like to hear more opinions. I spent a good while reading the 40+ page thread at ls1.com. Some real believers in this stuff over there.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:29 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

When I had an outboard,in the '70's at the end of the season I used all the pre-mix oil in my car. Even then the mechanics talked about 2 stroke oil cleaning and lubricating...
Old 03-12-2011, 07:36 AM
Priorities
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dump some in my diesel from time to time, they say it lubricates the lift pump and valves; no issues. Interesting.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:43 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Quite a few posts on bobistheoilguy.com about tcw3
Here is one
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1573591
Old 03-12-2011, 08:24 AM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

Hey whats up Jed
Old 03-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Jewjenk
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just use Marvel Mystery Oil.........................
Old 03-12-2011, 11:15 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Marvel has phosphorus in it. Bad for cats.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

This sounds like BS to me. The gas/oil ratio mentioned is 640:1.......hardly enough to make any kind of difference.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:33 PM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Snake oil.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:14 AM
sliderhd
Advanced

I tend to agree with the snake oil analogy plus these cars have two tanks. Seems it would be hard to get a homogenous mixture of fuel/oil. Especially if you add it in after you filled like the ls1 forum advises. Maybe others will chime in.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:24 AM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 511 Likes on 311 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default The Folks at 'Sta-biL'. . .

Originally Posted by rebelheart
Snake oil.
I was in Home-Depot the other day. And a very prominent display from the company that makes 'Sta-bIL' gas treatment. It's called " Ethanol Relief ". So my belief that Corn belongs on the dinner table and not in chemical compounds mixed in with Gasoline. The more alcohol in fuel, the more rust, corrosion, rotted out injectors, fuel gauges, fuel pumps and on and on. If you look at the fuel system in a "Flex-Fuel" vehicle, you'll find everything that was galvanized metal, has to be stainless steel. Some of the rubber and plastics as well need to be of a different compounds. You'd be better off re-inventing the wheel.

Venezuela has almost all their gasoline as E85. But they have a gazillion acres of sugur cane and it can be harvested pretty easily. But the any amount of ethanol in fuel isn't good. it knocks the MPG way down as well.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:10 PM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by killain
I was in Home-Depot the other day. And a very prominent display from the company that makes 'Sta-bIL' gas treatment. It's called " Ethanol Relief ". So my belief that Corn belongs on the dinner table and not in chemical compounds mixed in with Gasoline. The more alcohol in fuel, the more rust, corrosion, rotted out injectors, fuel gauges, fuel pumps and on and on. If you look at the fuel system in a "Flex-Fuel" vehicle, you'll find everything that was galvanized metal, has to be stainless steel. Some of the rubber and plastics as well need to be of a different compounds. You'd be better off re-inventing the wheel.

Venezuela has almost all their gasoline as E85. But they have a gazillion acres of sugur cane and it can be harvested pretty easily. But the any amount of ethanol in fuel isn't good. it knocks the MPG way down as well.
Sounds like the folks at STABIL are capitalizing on ignorant consumers like yourself. The corrosive effect of ethanol blended fuels has been by overblown, there is little if any increased fuel system corrosion for the E10 & E15 blends, the E85 blend is a different story since it's mostly ethanol, flex fuel vehicles are designed taking this into consideration. The E85 blend does yield lower gas milage, it's supposed to. The stochiometric air fuel ratio for gasoline is around 14.7:1, for Ethanol it's 9:1. It's a smaller molecule with less energy so it requires a greater mass of fuel to generate the same amount of power, on the positive side it's Octane rating is much higher. Have you looked at what fuel INDY and ALMS cars are running lately?
Ethanol can be made from several sugar bearing organic compounds, not just corn. In FL, ethanol is manufactured from the tailings of sugar and orange juice processing, these tailings would have normally been used as animal feed or fertilizer not food. The country you are thinking of is Brazil, not Venezuela.
With a little bit of reading and research you could learned all of these facts yourself and avoided passing on stupid and irrelavant nonsense.

Last edited by ipuig; 03-13-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:22 PM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Not the first I've heard of this. This is something Rx8 owners do to keep the Apex and side seals healthy in the renesis (rotory engine). That engine actually has an oil injection pump that injects motor oil into the combustion chamber for that purpose, but many supplement it with 2 cycle oil. An Rx8 was my "inbetween vettes" car
Old 03-13-2011, 12:45 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Anyone who owns a diesel will tell you how well it works. The new ulsd is destroying engines. Oil added in very small amounts enhances the substandard lube in in the low quality fuel. I still would avoid substandard fuel as long as you can. Sadly Low Sulfur Diesel is no longer sold. Thank you nature nazies. Remember 2 stroke oil is intended to be the only lube in those engines at its recommended ratios. This is not the case with your car engine. The recommended ratios would plug sensors and create smoke.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:08 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by ipuig
Sounds like the folks at STABIL are capitalizing on ignorant consumers like yourself. The corrosive effect of ethanol blended fuels has been by overblown, there is little in any increased fuel system corrosion for the E10 & E15 blends, the E85 blend is a different story since it's mostly ethanol, flex fuel vehicles are designed taking this into consideration. The E85 blend does yield lower gas milage, it's supposed to. The stochiometric air fuel ratio for gasoline is around 14.7:1, for Ethanol it's 9:1. It's a smaller molecule with less energy so it requires a greater mass of fuel to generate the same amount of power, on the positive side it's Octane rating is much higher. Have you looked at what fuel INDY and ALMS cars are running lately?
Ethanol can be made from several sugar bearing organic compounds, not just corn. In FL, ethanol is manufactured from the tailings of sugar and orange juice processing, these tailings would have normally been used as animal feed or fertilizer not food. The country you are thinking of is Brazil, not Venezuela.
With a little bit of reading and research you could learned all of these facts yourself and avoided passing on stupid and irrelavant nonsense.

What a nice fellow you are. Sharing information without making judgement is one of the better qualities of public forums.

Get notified of new replies

To Marine 2 cycle oil --> ethanol gas

Old 03-13-2011, 04:55 PM
kp1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I read the entire thread on LS1.com as it was developing. No one involved in the hypothesis or testing had any interest in selling anything, not even snake oil.

As stated, what they were looking for was a product that would replace the lubricating qualities once in a gallon of gas but no longer present.

I've tried it in my cars and small engines and there isn't any smoking and no sensors failed and nothing blew up. The sun has even continued to rise each morning.

Without a doubt it helped one of my older fuel injected cars with a rough idle get around to smoothing out w/o doing anything other than adding the TCW3 1oz/5 gal gas. That might not be what some of the elitists on this forum want to hear, but I could care less.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:05 PM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

We've had e10 around here since I was a little kid and maybe before (I'm 34 now). I've never had a fuel related problem with any of my cars. All my friends that are into cars etc. don't even think twice bout using e10. I use it all the time in my vette and S4 as it's usully the higher octane fuel (92-93) I'd rather not have to use it as it's lower energy content and need to burn slightly richer for power, but it works.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:22 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kp1
I read the entire thread on LS1.com as it was developing. No one involved in the hypothesis or testing had any interest in selling anything, not even snake oil.

As stated, what they were looking for was a product that would replace the lubricating qualities once in a gallon of gas but no longer present.

I've tried it in my cars and small engines and there isn't any smoking and no sensors failed and nothing blew up. The sun has even continued to rise each morning.

Without a doubt it helped one of my older fuel injected cars with a rough idle get around to smoothing out w/o doing anything other than adding the TCW3 1oz/5 gal gas. That might not be what some of the elitists on this forum want to hear, but I could care less.
For a second there I thought I was all alone and was about to get flamed out of here. I'm not trying to promote anything other than healthy discussion. I understand the corn farmers reason for wanting corn in our fuel, and I understand the reason most people see anything that replaces foreign oil as a good thing. But I know for a fact that my C5 was not designed to run ANY ethanol in the fuel, so it concerns me.

And for those that said anything mixed at 640:1 ration can't make a difference, consider that fuel stabilizer is mixed at a similar slightly higher ratio. The method discussed costs about 12 cents an ounce. Much more economical than ~$1 an ounce for fuel stabilizers.

The lubricating properties are a plus, but the displacement of moisture that ethanol attracts is what I was after.

Some of the worst things about ethanol are, while it does absorb moisture / hydrates that tend to be corrosive because wherever moisture sits, there is a thin layer of oxygen at the contact point of the hydrate and metal surface. This oxygen causes oxidation and rust to form. Ethanol itself also is destructive to a lot of the older types of rubber components, such as O-rings and gaskets that were not specifically designed to be alcohol resistant.

Last edited by jedblanks; 03-13-2011 at 11:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Marine 2 cycle oil --> ethanol gas