C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-23-2015, 03:42 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels
Print Wikipost

C6 Z06 brake upgrade question on a C5 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Arttysvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I am now doing this mod to my car and I like to see what your car looks like? with the new wheels and brakes. I was thinking of getting the C6 Z06 factory wheels, that should clear the caliper issues..
right?
Old 08-30-2017, 12:38 AM
SCALLOPED91
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by av8rdavid

The ace slicks wheels clear the calipers with no spacers needed from the test fit I did. They have a 58mm offset and I believe 11" in the rear is as much as you can get away with before having to mini tub the rear end.
I still have to have the tires mounted and balanced but during the test fit, the rear is TIGHT...There is barely ANY clearance with the rear caliper (Maybe 1-2mm) and the width of the rear wheels might not clear the rear stock tub...
We'll see in the days to follow.
How do you like your c6 z06 brakes on the c5? I am fixing to purchase the front and rear set for my c5 and was wondering if you would still recommend them? They look amazing.I have c5 z06 brakes on my base 99 c5- as we all know, that doesn't mean squat- so, I am looking for an affordable upgrade to my braking. The car is blown now with an A&A supercharger and I would like some better street brakes.
Old 03-18-2024, 05:16 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Has anyone done this mod to an early c5? I have a 98 and am having clearance issues.
Old 03-18-2024, 06:37 PM
Tron Z
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

AFAIK, C6 Z06 brakes will not clear any of the OE C5 Corvette 17" front wheels. 18" front wheels are mandatory. As far as offset is concerned, this was answered in one of the first responses above. Every wheel is different due to the curvature of the spokes. However, OE 18" rear wheels, mounted on the front of the car, do typically clear most 6-pot calipers. Installing 18" wheels on all four corners is a common mod, especially for track cars.

Both AP Racing and Wilwood offer 4-pot calipers that will clear the OE 17" Speedline (Z06) wheels, I personally don't know if other model OE 17" wheels will clear these 4-pot calipers.

Note that the Speedline wheels are wider than those used on non-Z06 cars, therefore they likely have a different offset. That said, I've never bothered to check this.
Old 03-19-2024, 05:11 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tron Z
AFAIK, C6 Z06 brakes will not clear any of the OE C5 Corvette 17" front wheels. 18" front wheels are mandatory. As far as offset is concerned, this was answered in one of the first responses above. Every wheel is different due to the curvature of the spokes. However, OE 18" rear wheels, mounted on the front of the car, do typically clear most 6-pot calipers. Installing 18" wheels on all four corners is a common mod, especially for track cars.

Both AP Racing and Wilwood offer 4-pot calipers that will clear the OE 17" Speedline (Z06) wheels, I personally don't know if other model OE 17" wheels will clear these 4-pot calipers.

Note that the Speedline wheels are wider than those used on non-Z06 cars, therefore they likely have a different offset. That said, I've never bothered to check this.

Im runing 18 x 12s all the way around. They were originally used on an 08 c6z.
Old 03-19-2024, 07:09 PM
Tron Z
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Red5
Im runing 18 x 12s all the way around. They were originally used on an 08 c6z.
Are they genuine OE C6 Z06 wheels? It seems to me that a couple of guys have reported that C6 wheels would not clear a big brake kit on a C5, which kinda surprised me, but there is more to a wheel than just the diameter and width.

There are three key wheel elements: diameter, width and offset. But, due to differences in spoke design, different style wheels may require different offsets for proper clearance. Apart from the 18" diameter, C6 wheels are totally different from C5 wheels. You likely have an issue due to the different offset of the much larger C6 wheels. Some folks would resort to spacers, but I am personally not a fan.

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 brake upgrade question on a C5 Z06