C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnetic Selective Ride Control Shocks Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 05:28 PM
AZGASSER
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 211 Posts

Default Magnetic Selective Ride Control Shocks Replaced

Just had the lovely experience of replacing these shocks. The parts alone for 4 shocks was over $4200. I know, I know that I probably could have found them a little cheaper online, but my mechanic gives a 2 year/18K mile warranty on all parts and labor he does. My 03 AE had 85K miles on the original shocks and this was after several years of autocrossing and my car being used as a daily driver. I might have been able to do a non-MSRC shock but no one in Tucson does the programming to have the shocks deleted from the PCM. I am just posting this for all who are about to or are considering replacing the shocks and experience the sticker shock (no PUN intended). Oh, BTW, the rear shocks have different part numbers and the fronts have the same. Not sure why this is, but just an FYI.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:33 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 75 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by AZGASSER
Just had the lovely experience of replacing these shocks. The parts alone for 4 shocks was over $4200. I know, I know that I probably could have found them a little cheaper online, but my mechanic gives a 2 year/18K mile warranty on all parts and labor he does. My 03 AE had 85K miles on the original shocks and this was after several years of autocrossing and my car being used as a daily driver. I might have been able to do a non-MSRC shock but no one in Tucson does the programming to have the shocks deleted from the PCM. I am just posting this for all who are about to or are considering replacing the shocks and experience the sticker shock (no PUN intended). Oh, BTW, the rear shocks have different part numbers and the fronts have the same. Not sure why this is, but just an FYI.
You are the first person I've seen pony up for the replacements. Really blows my mind......you could buy a forged motor for that price.

Enjoy the shocks.

Last edited by lucky131969; 03-31-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:27 AM
dchango
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AZGASSER
Well, you are one of the few on this forum that has replaced their f55s with f55s. I just replaced the Bilsteins that were on the car when I purchased it, with the f55s. I also have a 50th AE vert and wanted it back to the original suspension, and I’m glad I did. I like the ride much better than the Bilsteins. That was also one of the questions I had, what’s the difference? But no one had an answer.

My old post.

“As stated in a previous post I purchased a used set of F55’s, and getting ready to install (just trying to find the time). So, I was inspecting the shocks and none of them are leaking any fluid out of the shaft seals. The shocks are fairly clean just a little dust under the boot, so I’m assuming the previous owner didn’t just clean them up for the sale. The right rear shock is easier to compress then the left, it still has a significant rebound just is a bit easier to compress (almost half the force). I was wondering if this really makes a difference as the change in fluid viscosity does the dampening? Next, on the parts sheet it list 2 different part numbers for the rear shocks, 88952526 for the right and 88952525 for the left. The shocks that I have are also labeled L Corvette AJT and R Corvette AJU, but both shocks look identical, other than that. Is there some internal differences in the shocks, is that why the RR compresses easier then the LR? I also noticed on eBay there are some new F55 rear shocks, and they are list as fitting either the right or left. Can they be used on either side? So, what gives? Again any help would be appreciated.”

Well, I asked the question to the seller on eBay.

I am aware of your listing and it states placement L&R Rear, but GM lists a separate right and left shock for the rear of the 2003 and 2004 Corvette with the F55, on the front there is only one and can be used on either side. From the GM parts book, the part number is 88952526 for the right and 88952525 for the left, even my rear shocks are labeled R Corvette AJU, and L Corvette AJT. Thanks for your help.

Damon

Shaun’s reply.

Damon, The GM part numbers and codes are an assembly number, which includes the wire with connector. The only difference between left and right is the side they run the wire down and where they retain the wire to the shock (2 locations L&R). We have sold more than 20 pairs of the same number and never an issue. If you look at both your shocks, you will see there is a delphi part number stamped into the shocks that are the same left to right. If there was a need for a shock with a different dampening or mounting, the other suspension codes would also have. Base, Z51 and ZO6 all use same left to right.

Shaun

So, the long and short of it I purchased one, put it on, and it works great. Left or right I don’t think it matters.

Damon
The following users liked this post:
bmarcinczyk14 (06-11-2021)
Old 04-01-2011, 10:34 PM
AZGASSER
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 211 Posts

The cost was a shocker for sure but, one of my shocks was leaking already and the car felt like a skateboard on a gravel road. Yea, I could have had someone mess with the BCM (sorry for my ignorance) not he PCM, but that kinda defeats the purpose for the selective ride control. It is nice to cruise to Cali with the softer ride, and stiffen things up for the track. There are alot of shock options out there and as many opinions as to which are better for ride smoothness and handling. At the end of the day, the ride is still sweet and the car is fun.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:41 PM
dchango
Heel & Toe

Old 04-02-2011, 08:53 AM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Selective Ride is a nice reliable feature. It is a shame it costs so much to replace. I would have had a hard time deciding but I guess it depends how much you use the different settings and it sounds like you use them frequently so you made the right decision for you. Glad you had a good experience.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:29 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by craig04c5
Selective Ride is a nice reliable feature. It is a shame it costs so much to replace. I would have had a hard time deciding but I guess it depends how much you use the different settings and it sounds like you use them frequently so you made the right decision for you. Glad you had a good experience.
I agree, sort of. When I ordered my car, for some crazy reason, I opted for the F-45 set-up...probably because I didn't think of the "down the road cost" if and when they'll need replacement.

As far as noticing a difference in the ride between the 3 settings? Hardly..... I should have specified the Z-51.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:01 PM
chrismullins99
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I agree, sort of. When I ordered my car, for some crazy reason, I opted for the F-45 set-up...probably because I didn't think of the "down the road cost" if and when they'll need replacement.

As far as noticing a difference in the ride between the 3 settings? Hardly..... I should have specified the Z-51.
yes but thats with the f45 setup, the f55 he has is a noticeably different ride from what i've noticed. My f45 is not noticeable either.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:06 AM
texascorvetteUK
5th Gear

Default I Need front shocks

Guys
I have to get shocks for the front of my C5, cannot get them easily in the UK, Need the name of a good dealer who can give me a price, I will ship them over also need to know if anyone has had any sent to them by airfreight not sure if they can be carried on aircraft.
for info car has done 80000 miles and sadly hit a few speed bumps and uneven UK roads.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:08 AM
texascorvetteUK
5th Gear

Default Magnetic Selective Ride

Sorry guys forgot to mention that its 2003 with Magmnetic selective ride
Old 05-04-2011, 11:00 PM
dchango
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by texascorvetteUK
Guys
I have to get shocks for the front of my C5, cannot get them easily in the UK, Need the name of a good dealer who can give me a price, I will ship them over also need to know if anyone has had any sent to them by airfreight not sure if they can be carried on aircraft.
for info car has done 80000 miles and sadly hit a few speed bumps and uneven UK roads.
Try Shawn on ebay here is the link. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT $400 USD it the cheepest I've seen and quick shipping. Not to sure of the shipping to the UK but dosen't hurt to ask.

Damon
Old 05-05-2011, 03:55 AM
texascorvetteUK
5th Gear

Default Magnetic selective ride

Hi Damon
Thanks for the info, have sent them a mail, hopefully they have two available.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:57 AM
50thCorvette
3rd Gear

Default Questions about replacement

Hi Guys,
Don't mean to hijack your thread, but this is my first post so please forgive me if my etiquette is subpar.

I am the first owner of a 50th anniversary 2003 Corvette. She has 67,000 miles on her and apart from being driven a bit too much she is always garaged and well maintained.

I'm starting to think about replacing the shocks.
About 6 months ago I had Chevy take a look. They quoted me $5000 to replace all four and said that they are leaking fluid that will eventually damage the brakes...

I had a good look at the shocks 3 days ago while having my tires replaced and did not see any liquid whatsoever.
  1. What is the usual "life" of the stock Magnetic Selective suspension?
  2. How do I decide how bumpy to allow the ride to feel before giving in and paying the big bucks to replace the shocks?
  3. What are your thoughts on aftermarket vs. stock replacement?
Old 01-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Dave Pegler
1st Gear

Hello to All,
Brand new to this forum. Own a 2003 for the last 2 years in the Kingdom of Bahrain. Just had a good friend bring me four Bilsteins from the US, carried them in his luggage. Ride is smooth very pleased. Probelm = 80mph max speed! See earlier in the thread "remove the f55RPO from the BCM". Too many TLAs! Looking for some help. The local GM dealers good, but their a long way from the mothership. I really want to know precicely what needs to be done before I go beg. Can anyone help, what exactly needs to be done to get the car over 80? (went through a mobile camera this morning.....blessing in disguise)
cheers pegs
Old 03-16-2012, 04:57 PM
kocujeff
6th Gear

Hey, if no one has replied to you, go to shockwarehouse.com

You can get all of the shocks for about half of what anyone else will sell them for. I bought them all for my car here in Canada and they come with a lifetime warranty.

Jeff
Old 08-16-2015, 07:45 PM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kocujeff
Hey, if no one has replied to you, go to shockwarehouse.com

You can get all of the shocks for about half of what anyone else will sell them for. I bought them all for my car here in Canada and they come with a lifetime warranty.

Jeff
I have F45 shocks that still work but they squeak like crazy. The top bushing on all 4 are squeaking. Has anyone had this issue and is so did you resolve it with out the dreaded $5000 repair.?
Old 02-26-2016, 07:17 PM
65ELCMO
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
If you were an active member of either of the two major Vette clubs in Tucson you would know that there is an individual who is a member of both clubs that has a Tech II and does work out of his 6 car home garage that could program out the F55 RPO from the BCM not the PCM, for a small fee........ No it is not me..... Enjoy those new F55 shocks...........
How about a clue who this is. Removing my f55 shocks

Get notified of new replies

To Magnetic Selective Ride Control Shocks Replaced

Old 02-26-2016, 07:43 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

If you want to take a trip to Oregon I can do it.

Last edited by Smoken1; 02-26-2016 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:44 PM
ehillard0
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jimcork1
I have F45 shocks that still work but they squeak like crazy. The top bushing on all 4 are squeaking. Has anyone had this issue and is so did you resolve it with out the dreaded $5000 repair.?
I replaced the F45 shocks on my '97 with the Z06 replacement shocks. I ended up removing the magnetic sensor from the shock, wrapping it in some electrical tape, and simply plugged the wire harness from the sensor back into the car.

The following 2 users liked this post by ehillard0:
CFight (10-03-2021), jimcork1 (02-29-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 07:26 PM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have disassembled one of my shocks as in your photo. Have you had any issues?

Quick Reply: Magnetic Selective Ride Control Shocks Replaced