C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeal Coming from front torque tube / Clutch area

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 01:53 PM
myc5toy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeal Coming from front torque tube / Clutch area

I recently have developed a squeal coming from the rear engine / torque tube / clutch area. The noise sounds so much like a belt or pulley that I replaced the idler and tensioner (it was time anyways(. That did not fix the problem so I removed all belts, started it up briefly, and still could reproduce the sound. I have torn down from torque tube back and replaced my tranny, rear diff on my coupe so I am pretty mechanical but do not know too much about the manual 6-speed set-up and your help is greatly appreciated...

Here is what I know...

- Does not occur until drive train warms up a little (4+ miles it starts)
- Sound is detectable at about 1400 rpm to 1700 and is more pronounced if I do a short flip of the throttle.
- Sound is heard in Neutral
- Sound is heard with both clutch engaged and disengaged
- Sound is definitely louder and more pronounced the more strain is put on the drivetrain.. example would be putting into 3rd instead of 2nd and letting the car strain a little at low RPMs
- Above 2000 rpm's, the sound stops.
- Cannot "feel" any change at all when squealing. I am very attuned to the car and can usually "feel" the smallest vibration or anything out of the ordinary. Nothing except a horrible squealing.

Any info or suggestions or ways to proceed would be very helpful! I am hoping its not a main bearing on the engine
Old 04-05-2011, 04:54 PM
0Mike Yeager@Eastcoast Performance
Former Vendor

Mike Yeager@Eastcoast Performance's Avatar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by myc5toy
I recently have developed a squeal coming from the rear engine / torque tube / clutch area. The noise sounds so much like a belt or pulley that I replaced the idler and tensioner (it was time anyways(. That did not fix the problem so I removed all belts, started it up briefly, and still could reproduce the sound. I have torn down from torque tube back and replaced my tranny, rear diff on my coupe so I am pretty mechanical but do not know too much about the manual 6-speed set-up and your help is greatly appreciated...

Here is what I know...

- Sound is detectable at about 1400 rpm to 1700 and is more pronounced if I do a short flip of the throttle.
- Sound is definitely louder and more pronounced the more strain is put on the drivetrain.. example would be putting into 3rd instead of 2nd and letting the car strain a little at low RPMs
- Cannot "feel" any change at all when squealing. I am very attuned to the car and can usually "feel" the smallest vibration or anything out of the ordinary. Nothing except a horrible squealing.

Any info or suggestions or ways to proceed would be very helpful! I am hoping its not a main bearing on the engine
Hi, call me and I will be glad to help in anyway I can...thanks
Old 04-05-2011, 05:39 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by myc5toy

Here is what I know...

Based on what you're saying, my first thought was/is pilot bearing. My second thought is possibly a front torque tube/driveshaft bearing. Check the throwout bearing while you're there too.

Give Mike a call. He's right there close to you and is very Corvette savvy. He drives one himself. He definitely should be able to help you out.

HTH
Old 04-05-2011, 05:45 PM
myc5toy
Pro

Just got off the phone with Mike. His suspicions were along the same lines as you. Going to try to get mike to listen to it this weekend and tear into it next week... Wasn't really looking for one, but YAHOO!! Another project. LOL

I'll document this one!
Old 11-19-2011, 05:30 PM
badazzsi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

So what was the cause
Old 07-20-2012, 01:47 AM
Anti-Venom SS
Intermediate

NECROBUMP!!!! Any update on this? I searched and searched and finally found this thread... My problems exactly!!!

I figured it couldn't be the pilot bearing since the sound is made with the clutch out and in.

Usually my squeal is around 1500-1900 RPM but after a few hard pulls on the highway, the squeal is from 1500-2500.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:47 AM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Old 08-08-2016, 07:42 AM
Smoke-N-Shot
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Was there ever any resolution to this needed fix as I would like to know... Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Squeal Coming from front torque tube / Clutch area

Quick Reply: Squeal Coming from front torque tube / Clutch area