C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you use stock TPMS sensors on aftermarket wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 12:55 PM
Marinevette1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you use stock TPMS sensors on aftermarket wheels

I want to buy some CCW wheels and to keep the cost down I wanted to reuse my perfectly good Tire Sensors from my stock wheels. Are they compatable?
Old 04-14-2011, 01:06 PM
C5at57
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sure, I did the same thing. Just make sure the tire tech puts the sensors back in the same possition as the came from. In other words, return the LF back to the LF possition. That way, you don't have to re-train them. Enjoy the new wheels.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Marinevette1
Advanced

That's excellent news. That should save me 200 dollars easily. Thank you.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:16 PM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, depending on how old your sensors are that 200 bucks might be money well spent. I'd hate to have to go through the whole thing again if they should go bad in the not so distant future.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Marinevette1
Advanced

When you're right you're right. The car only has a little over 60k on it right now with no issues. Do they have a tendancy to fail? If one fails do you have to replace them all?
Old 04-14-2011, 01:50 PM
paviesVette
Advanced

Originally Posted by Marinevette1
When you're right you're right. The car only has a little over 60k on it right now with no issues. Do they have a tendancy to fail? If one fails do you have to replace them all?
I just purchased new CCW wheels about a month ago. FYI, depending on what year car you have the TPMS sensors have a different cost. However recently some aftermarket sensor's were put on the market that replace the existing stock ones for much cheaper. I have a 2000 vert, and my stock sensor's are 120 a piece to replace, however the replacements are about 64 each. I would suggest getting new replacements, since the batteries are only good for about 10 years.

I could have used my old sensors and rebuilt them with new batteries, but I would have had to break the beads down on the old tires. Either paying a shop or doing it myself and risk damaging my old rims. Purchase new batteries. Do this for all 4 sensors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjrT7WBG6U8

Hope I didn't break anything. Get the beads broken down on my new rims, have old sensors mounted in place of the existing stems. Hope they didn't damage my new tires in the process. And then hope that everything synced up properly in the new tires.

For 180 bucks additional, I got brand new sensors mounted and balanced as part of my rim/tire install that will be good to go for another 10 years of driving. Well worth it in my opinion.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:33 PM
03YelloZ
Instructor

Default Not using sensors

I know this thread is old but I have a set of rear ZR1 production rims that I was going to throw on when I go to the track I have tires too but I was going to mount them this week. Can I get away without buying new TPMS sensors? I am assuming the alarm will go off for a "flat tire" every time I get into the car or can I simply clear the message and continue driving?

I don't mind buying new sensors but this problem just dawned on me.

Plus, If I do buy a second set of rear sensors, will the car notice the difference between the new ones and old ones? And just swap when I want?
Old 02-01-2016, 01:39 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The RFA and BCM will only recognize the latest's (FOUR) sensors programmed into the system.

Reprogramming will be necessary each time you change out the complete set of wheels.

It IS NOT DIFFICULT but, needs to be done.

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 02-01-2016 at 01:55 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Can you use stock TPMS sensors on aftermarket wheels

Quick Reply: Can you use stock TPMS sensors on aftermarket wheels