C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the difference: TPS Motorsports vs RSD Snap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 02:19 PM
sobregonso
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the difference: TPS Motorsports vs RSD Snap?

I believe that I have near exhausted the search on shifters for the C5, lol, and I do believe I've decided based on my style of driving. Based on everyone's reviews here I think I'll like the TPS Motorsports 427 short shifter OR the RSD Snap Shifter. From what I've gathered from this forum and each of their websites they seem like the same thing, just w/ their own names on them. They are both modified C6 Z06 shifters. What am I missing? Those of you who have tried either, both, or own, please let me know what you think. I am a research nut before I buy lol, and I drive myself crazy sometimes. But I did decide, one of these two, please help.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:20 PM
sobregonso
Advanced

I own a 2001 Z06, 21k miles. Thank you in advance for your help!
Old 12-14-2012, 02:46 PM
BryanV
Racer

Ive got the RSD. I like it but will be switching *****. I have a 3" long delrin **** and in second gear it puts the **** at a weird angle. I will be getting a 2" Ball.

Love the shifter though!
Old 12-14-2012, 05:00 PM
sobregonso
Advanced

That's great that you like the shifter so much. Good to know about the 2" ball, thanks.

Do you know of the differences in the two shifters that I mentioned? Thanks for the reply
Old 12-14-2012, 05:19 PM
tigtorch
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know about the other one you mentioned but I replaced my Hurst with the RSD (2001 vert). I really like the RSD shifter in terms of it's ease of shifting, short throws and quieter operation (my shifter box bushings were shot, it vibrated loudly during acceleration, and the RSD comes with a new shifter box, solved the noise problem instantly).

For my tastes though, the RSD was slanted too far back. I have not heard this from anyone else (Maybe the Z06 shifter location is different from my vert?). I am 6'2" and have long arms. Anyway, I sliced into the shaft, straightened it almost straight, TIG welded it back, and it is pretty near perfect now.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:32 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I too have the RSD, it's a fine shifter & a great improvement over the stock C5 one.

It has the shaft threaded , same as the C5 shifter.

Unlike the previous poster, I like the angled shaft of the C/6 RSD shifter.

Sorry I cannot compare this RSD shifter to the other Vendor's styled shifter, that you mentioned
Old 12-14-2012, 09:26 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 809 Likes on 533 Posts

i've had the RSD in for right at 2 years now & it's fantastic. very solid feel. i'm actually still using the stock C5 **** & boot, and it all works great. a little more shift effort (as to be expected with any short shifter) but nothing egregious - i don't really even notice anymore. it ain't notchy, but you definitely can feel which gear is which.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:38 AM
sobregonso
Advanced

I appreciate the replies, thanks

Get notified of new replies

To What's the difference: TPS Motorsports vs RSD Snap?

Quick Reply: What's the difference: TPS Motorsports vs RSD Snap?