C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xtreme Motorsports pumps up the "shop" car.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 03:38 PM
0Jan@XMS
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xtreme Motorsports pumps up the "shop" car.

So, we brought our "shop" car in for a quick intake swap. For those of you that are not familiar with her, she is a '98 black drop top that currently runs a Black Wing intake, long tube headers, Corsa Pace exhaust and of course our Xtreme Motorsports custom dyno tune. It currently makes 326 whp and 332 tq.

We decided to upgrade the intake from the stock LS1 unit to an LS2 piece. There has been a lot of chatter about the power differences gained between the LS6 intake vs upgrading to the LS2 intake so we decided to try the 2 and see where that puts us. There is a bunch of data on the LS6 upgrade but not so much on the 2 so we are going to do a little bit of our own data gathering to see whats what. If the gains aren't what we are looking for we'll drop a 6 intake on it and re run the numbers. As a side note, because this upgrade takes the intake opening from 78mm to 90mm we are also swapping the stock throttle body and MAF sensor to the larger LS2 set up. Re-assembly should be done shortly and dyno results soon thereafter. We'll keep ya posted!!

Old 05-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Renegade00
Racer

So?
Old 05-06-2011, 11:52 PM
VETTEGUY1977
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed
Old 05-09-2011, 06:11 PM
0RodZ@XMS
Former Vendor

Sorry for the delay folks. Seeing as how this is the "shop" car it had to wait until some customer projects were wrapped up before we could continue. Anyway, After we got the car back together and strapped it down, we made some pulls. Much to our surprise the results were nearly identical to the numbers we got before the swap.
[IMG][/IMG]

So, we were left trying to figuring out how increasing the MAF, T-body and intake from 78mm to 90mm had essentially zero effect on power. Then it dawned on us that since the last dyno session (the graph at the begining of this thread) we replaced the stock 6 speed tranny for a Z06 unit, changed the gearing in the rearend and added larger rotors to the back as well. Well, in the spirit of keeping things apples to apples, and more importantly, relaying accurate information to the members of this forum, we decided to remove the larger intake parts and put the originals back on so we could re-run it on the dyno and see where the car would have dynoed post tranny, gears and heavier brakes. Low and behold,
[IMG][/IMG]

Where does this leave us you ask?? Well, based on what we have seen first hand, the gains from doing an LS2 intake swap are right on par with the gains you see from doing the LS6 swap. This is good news because as most of you are well aware, the LS6 intake is becoming more and more difficult to get, no to mention it will set you back more than the LS2 intake. Food for thought.......

As a side note, another highly debated subject is the validity behind porting the intake manifold. Since we were already in there we dicided to test that theory as well. We found a total gain of 1 horsepower after we ported the intake. Below is an overlay of all of these runs.
[IMG][/IMG]

I am certain we will get our share of responses, both positive and negative, but please keep in mind that we do not have a hidden agenda here. All we were after was some data to support, (or discredit, however you choose to look at it), some of the claims you read about on the forums. At the end of the day we all want the same thing, the best bang for the buck!
Old 05-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Renegade00
Racer

Very interesting. Now throw a supercharger on the shop car so we can see the differences !
Old 05-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Nice!

I have been wondering about this. When I saw the first 2 dynos, I thought, "****, I wonder how much my LS2 intake hols me back". LOL
Old 05-12-2011, 11:55 AM
0RodZ@XMS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Renegade00
Very interesting. Now throw a supercharger on the shop car so we can see the differences !
Welllllll, maybe one of these days.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:57 AM
0RodZ@XMS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Corvette-Chris
Nice!

I have been wondering about this. When I saw the first 2 dynos, I thought, "****, I wonder how much my LS2 intake hols me back". LOL
Well now you know! Actually, this is something quite a few peoplw have been wondering about and asking about so we figured it was the perfect opportunity to do a little testing. I'm glad it was of some value to you.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:41 PM
0Steve@AandACorvette
Former Vendor

Location: Oxnard SoCal www.aacorvette.com www.superchargersuperstore.com
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Renegade00

Originally Posted by RodZ@XMS
Welllllll, maybe one of these days.

Get notified of new replies

To Xtreme Motorsports pumps up the "shop" car.

Quick Reply: Xtreme Motorsports pumps up the "shop" car.