C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major electrical probs/reduced power/barely starting/gages not working/

Old 06-14-2011, 12:27 PM
ghost.223
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major electrical probs/reduced power/barely starting/gages not working/

My 02 is my daily driver and this morning it took several tries to start it. Weird but i went and drove to work with no problem. After getting there i tried to restart to make sure it was okay.

First turned key (not to start) to check volts- no dash electric at all in any gages and the CEL and other lights had a slight flicker, but hood and interior lights just fine. Turned key all the way to start and it does have power because it turned over no problem but again was not starting. After a few tries it starts up with reduced engine power and check engine light. Let run for a few then shut down and retried. started up with CEL again but no reduced power so drove home no problem except noticed that volts are lower than normal. Low 13's

After home shut down but turned key to check for power again. had power so checked codes. Althought it said reduced power even though the car was off.

1518H
1278H
and that was it

disconted battery cables and cleaned/retightened. checked for power in dash again by turning key. No power. Tried to start, turns over no problem but will not start.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:37 PM
ghost.223
Racer

Just tried to start again and i hope this makes it easier to understand.

Turned over fine again but wont start.

When key in non cranking position the a/c and radio lights are working as normal. So is the seat belt light and the CEL as well. However not one of the gages or the DIC has any power to it
Old 06-14-2011, 02:39 PM
garllo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possible BCM (body control module)
Old 06-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

WELL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, You either have a serial data buss issue, a wet BCM issue OR a IGNITION SWITCH issue.

The WET BCM is easy to check. Open the foot well panel, and look for moisture. Feel under the carpet and see if the insulation is damp or wet. Check the carpet under the seat by feeling from the back of the carpet behind the seat.

OPEN BOTH DOORS! Shake the accordion tube between the door and door frame on both doors and see if the symptoms change.

Heres a post for you to check a few things:

-C5 ignition Switch repair - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ch-repair.html

Clear ALL the DTCs and see how things work!

Report the results

Bill
Old 06-14-2011, 03:32 PM
ghost.223
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
WELL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, You either have a serial data buss issue, a wet BCM issue OR a IGNITION SWITCH issue.

The WET BCM is easy to check. Open the foot well panel, and look for moisture. Feel under the carpet and see if the insulation is damp or wet. Check the carpet under the seat by feeling from the back of the carpet behind the seat.

OPEN BOTH DOORS! Shake the accordion tube between the door and door frame on both doors and see if the symptoms change.

Heres a post for you to check a few things:

-C5 ignition Switch repair - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ch-repair.html

Clear ALL the DTCs and see how things work!

Report the results

Bill

Always nice to see ya Bill

One step ahead of you and rebuilt the ignition switch yet again. 4 times in 5 months One was my fault for putting grease on it though Never because of a problem even close to as bad as this, just TC issues. I am unable to check if this worked at the moment but will know by tonight. Dont have much hope because it was very clean this time.

No luck on the wet BCM either, dry as can be

Will also check the accordian doors when i take for test drive tonight.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:41 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

If you find the issue in the door harness,, heres the issue! BAD FEMALE PIN/s

I will let YOU figure out what pin/s is are bad!

BC
Old 06-14-2011, 11:02 PM
ghost.223
Racer

With all the times i have rebuilt my ignition i would think it would be all good by now but i guess not. Took a couple drives tonight and all seems well.

I think from now on anything that goes wrong should be instantly fixed by an ignition rebuild. Flat tire, no problem just rebuild the ignition

I really should just go buy a new one
Old 06-14-2011, 11:19 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ghost.223
I really should just go buy a new one
Crazy is right. Just replace the damn thing...
Old 06-15-2011, 12:39 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Well,,,, You stated this "no dash electric at all in any gages and the CEL and other lights had a slight flicker, but hood and interior lights just fine. Turned key all the way to start and it does have power because it turned over no problem but again was not starting. After a few tries it starts up with reduced engine power and check engine light. "

That tells me its a POWER issue. Most likely an ignition powered circuit. REMEMBER,, there are F I V E switches that need to be serviced. In the IGNITION SWITCH POST,, there are some troubleshooting steps... Like read the power on the IGNITION SUPPLIED fuses when you have a IPC or no start issue.

The quality job you do rebuilding your switch is controlled by YOU.

I know that this procedure works because it has helped NUMEROUS Forum Members. If your switch is defective, troubleshooting with a meter will help pin point the exact cause of the issue.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:37 PM
ghost.223
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Well,,,, You stated this "no dash electric at all in any gages and the CEL and other lights had a slight flicker, but hood and interior lights just fine. Turned key all the way to start and it does have power because it turned over no problem but again was not starting. After a few tries it starts up with reduced engine power and check engine light. "

That tells me its a POWER issue. Most likely an ignition powered circuit. REMEMBER,, there are F I V E switches that need to be serviced. In the IGNITION SWITCH POST,, there are some troubleshooting steps... Like read the power on the IGNITION SUPPLIED fuses when you have a IPC or no start issue.

The quality job you do rebuilding your switch is controlled by YOU.

I know that this procedure works because it has helped NUMEROUS Forum Members. If your switch is defective, troubleshooting with a meter will help pin point the exact cause of the issue.

No Im pretty sure its just my skills and not the switch itself. I did do a much better job this time than i have before. Think i might of still had some of that grease i misused from a few months ago on the conectors so i used plenty of alchohol dipped Q-tips to make sure it was all clean now.

Get notified of new replies

To Major electrical probs/reduced power/barely starting/gages not working/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Major electrical probs/reduced power/barely starting/gages not working/