C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced clutch fluid with DOT-4, now squeaks and a little softer pedal

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 09:51 PM
midnight02
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced clutch fluid with DOT-4, now squeaks and a little softer pedal

As the title says, I replaced the clutch fluid in my 2000 with Super Blue DOT-4 that I got from a friend who switched to Motol in his track car for the higher boiling point. He had a few brand new quarts left so he gave them to me. I used the turkey baster method to remove the old fluid, poured in new fluid and then pumped the pedal 20 times. We have done this same procedure many times at work without a problem. The first pump was fine but the second pump it started to squeak. I sucked out the fluid and poured in new fluid 3 times, so a total of 60 pumps. I looked it up on the forum and apparently the squeak will go away but I am concerned with the softer pedal than I remember when I brought it out of storage. It has been on jack stands for the last 2 months while I cleaned it, painted the calipers and got new wheels/tires so I had my brother lay under it and he heard the squeak coming from the area where the slave cylinder is.

I e-mailed my friend and asked if when he switched his 04 Z06 to the Super Blue from stock fluid if his pedal squeaked and he thought I was joking and said absolutely not. He suggested the pivot point could be squeaking and to lube that, but as I said before I had my brother lay under the car and tell me where the sound came from.

So am I correct to assume that by what I have read that the squeak will go away with use and continued flushing of the system?

Also the brake fluid was out in the garage for part of the winter, could that hurt the fluid in any way?

I only have 9,500 miles on the 2000 and the fluid looked pretty dark (possibly original) so that is why I wanted to change it since I know the clutch dust can hurt the slave cylinder and cause premature wear.

Thanks for any input and help.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:22 AM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

You could try changing it back to the GM Dot4 clutch fluid. It is just brake fluid with an additive to stop the squeaking. It does give a firmer pedal (although I don't know why).

I use it every now and then but it's expensive and hard to find. I order it online from a hot rod shop and it's still about 11.00 a pint. Next time I switch back to the normal stuff (Prestone, STP, Valvoline). Wearever really feels wierd so I don't use it any more.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:33 AM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

I've had good luck with Prestone Dot 4 fluid....never a problem with squeak.

\db2
carolina
Old 06-15-2011, 12:57 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

what i find interesting is that I cannot use the super blue in FL solely because of the color.
everywhere you look online to buy it there is that disclaimer.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

The squeek will go away as soon as you start the car and drive it fro the first time. It is normal that it does that when you change it and pump the pedal without starting the car. I use Dot 4 and I have no problems.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:19 PM
midnight02
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybermind
The squeek will go away as soon as you start the car and drive it fro the first time. It is normal that it does that when you change it and pump the pedal without starting the car. I use Dot 4 and I have no problems.
Thanks Cyber

Get notified of new replies

To Replaced clutch fluid with DOT-4, now squeaks and a little softer pedal

Quick Reply: Replaced clutch fluid with DOT-4, now squeaks and a little softer pedal