C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPS twin-disc clutch owners?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 12:56 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Default RPS twin-disc clutch owners?

I bought my '03 Z06 from an owner who had installed (what he called) an RPS street twin-disc clutch. It makes the usual noises that most twin-discs make---rattles, hums, etc. I am used to those. However, when engaging the clutch from a stop, I am hearing what sounds like a bad steering pump noise---a whiney noise. It happens right at the point of engagement, and pretty much disappears when in gear. Is this normal for a twin-disc, or is my throw-out bearing going bad? Supposedly, the car has a new slave cylinder.

I appreciate any advice from the more experienced folks here!
Old 06-16-2011, 01:28 PM
ssmith512
Melting Slicks

Received 849 Likes on 443 Posts

Mine makes a high pitched chirping noise right at engagement.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:37 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

The earlier model street twins were a mixture of surface materials. Some friction surfaces were carbon, and some were organic material. Mine was installed late last year, and all of the friction faces were carbon, and mine doesn't do that, although there is a kind of "rushing" noise when in neutral, and the clutch pedal out. When I put mine in, there was a big difference in engagement. The point of engagement was higher off the floor, and is very abrupt. OTOH, it grips like a motha, and doesn't do that stupid pedal stuck to the floor crap, so......
Old 06-16-2011, 02:39 PM
zeevette
Race Director

I just remembered something I read; I would treat it as a rumor; RPS recalled some of the earlier street twins for some reason or another, and redesigned them to be all carbon faced.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:45 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Yeah, the owner had the "floored pedal" issue, so he installed a new slave cylinder and the RPS kit. I appreciate the input. Unless someone tells me differently, I will just assume the "power steering whine" is just part of twin-disc hell. :p
Old 06-16-2011, 07:57 PM
jrmotorsports55
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the problems were with the street twin organic.

I have the street lite carbon twin, no problems. A little noisier at idle out of gear, but man it grips.

Jason
Old 06-16-2011, 08:11 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmotorsports55
I believe the problems were with the street twin organic.

I have the street lite carbon twin, no problems. A little noisier at idle out of gear, but man it grips.

Jason
I ran a RAM Dual Street and it was a great clutch but rattled like an old Rambler on a dirt road. I switched to a Spec 3+ but the drivability was not as good and it wouldn't shift at high speed/load. I put in an RPS Twin Lite recently and it's a GREAT clutch. Same small noise in neutral but not the rattle on the RAM. Superb drivabiliy also.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:52 PM
CTD
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

RPS Street Lite Twin here as well.

zee & I exchanged PM's about noises we are trying not to hear with the clutch

The only one I notice is in neutral clutch in clutch out, not a sound otherwise. You need to listen.

I'm getting the tune sorted & find the clutch very nice to modulate.

Hi RPM shifts...so far...excellent....out of gate grab...so far ...excellent
Old 08-13-2012, 04:31 PM
BLWNGTO
Racer

Bringing this back from the dead...I have this same issue with my 2008 C6 and its driving me nuts.

I have the RPS Twin disc carbon clutch and RPS billet flywheel.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:03 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Yeah, it's probably illegal or something.... I just got mine back on the road, and it feels like it did. No chattering, or vibration; just a little noise when in neutral, with the clutch out. Abrupt as hell,too. Just rememered something; although I'm using a stock slave cylinder, I use a Tick master, and a Centerforce TO bearing.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:26 PM
Quick 06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I must be the exception...My RPS twin disk street is great. It feels like the stock 03Z clutch and allows smooth shifts via my MGW shifter.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:48 AM
BLWNGTO
Racer

Yea it's weird it grabs great and I just bled it and changed the fluid to make sure there wasn't air in the line but the noise of when it engages is like nails on a chalkboard, just like the OP describes. If you ride it a bit when your on an incline it just gets worseeeeee. It can't be normal. Especially if it cost an arm and a leg like the RPS.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Choose1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am having the same issue with my Mcleod RXT Twin. If I slip it in traffic, it wines like crazy and will not stop until I return to neutral and release the clutch.

Please share any info found on this problem as I am not driving my car in fear of breaking something expensive....!
Old 09-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Choose1
Instructor

Default Video

Here is a video I took, definitely not the best but will hopefully give an example of the noise I have. My camera falls over at 52 sec, sorry.

http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/m...psdc2ba926.mp4

Last edited by Choose1; 09-19-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:49 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

My RPS CC Street Twin Lite is still working great. Smooth like butta on engagement. Makes it very easy to drive in the stinking Northern VA traffic. I put in a tick master when I had the Spec 3+ trying to make that work. I wish it wasn't still in there with the RPS. I think it would drive even better.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:00 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

That's a pretty annoying noise. Mine is a beotch to drive until you get used to it but pretty quiet. I've never heard that noise before.

How many miles are on it?

Nice sounding cam and exhaust BTW.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:27 PM
Choose1
Instructor

Yeah, it scares me to drive it!!!

500 miles--Stroker 408
500 miles--Custom Comp Cam by Arun
Less than 300 miles on the clutch set-up
C6 Z06 Full Exhaust (Manifolds Back, Gutted Cats, No mufflers-due to rear mount turbos)

Get notified of new replies

To RPS twin-disc clutch owners?

Old 09-19-2012, 09:31 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

I wonder if it might get better as it breaks in?? I wouldn't count on it but it's certainly possible.

Who installed it? Have you talked to them, or called McLeod?
Old 09-19-2012, 10:28 PM
Choose1
Instructor

I installed it, and understand that may raise concern for install to be the problem but I have installed many clutches, C5 and others.

I'd like to think it will get better with time but I'm not sure I want to drive it this way.

As far as calling Mcleod, I keep saying I will but keep finding reasons not to. I have been away for a while and unable to diagnose the problem but now that I am home I will run a few more tests and maybe a better video to post/share with Mcleod.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:47 PM
Neil B
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
Yeah, it's probably illegal or something.... I just got mine back on the road, and it feels like it did. No chattering, or vibration; just a little noise when in neutral, with the clutch out. Abrupt as hell,too. Just rememered something; although I'm using a stock slave cylinder, I use a Tick master, and a Centerforce TO bearing.
Mine is the same. Just minor noise in neutral with the clutch out. But my setup is very abrupt (on/off) with a stock C5 slave and a Tick master. You've got to constantly be on your toes not to stall it at stop lights.

Quick Reply: RPS twin-disc clutch owners?