C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I don't think a C6 shifter helps at all

Old 06-26-2011, 03:01 PM
Steve454
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow sounds like I'm one of the few that actually likes the firmness and notchiness of the old B&M Ripper. It was my first mod back in '99 and I love it. Now I just need to figure out how to get the new C6 shift **** I bought on it
Old 07-16-2011, 03:08 PM
DougBoost
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm fine with the stock C5 shifter but really hate the ****. Tried a Hurst in a buddy's C5 and hated it, so am not anxious to spend serious $$ on an aftermarket shifter. I'm surprised the aftermarket hasn't come up with a C6 lookalike **** for the stock C5 shifter.

Pardon me if this has been covered before, but besides the **** (and I assume shaft diameter), what else changed on the C6 shifter? Was it just a few minor finesses or more major redesign? And is the C6 Z06 shifter different still?
Old 07-16-2011, 05:40 PM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve454
Wow sounds like I'm one of the few that actually likes the firmness and notchiness of the old B&M Ripper. It was my first mod back in '99 and I love it. Now I just need to figure out how to get the new C6 shift **** I bought on it
your not alone. I have the good ole B&M in mine as well. MY GOD was it NOTCHY when it was new (2+years ago) but now is all nice and broken in and i love it.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (02-15-2022)
Old 07-16-2011, 07:44 PM
DougBoost
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, found a post on this that even covers C6 ***** for C5 shifters (several pages in). But after reading this I'll probably just get the whole thing to get the curved and shorter shaft, too.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...tallation.html
Old 07-17-2011, 12:11 AM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I went with the Hurst Plus. Awesome short throw shifter...I can hit all gears hard and fast. At first it was stiff. Then I learned you need to put alot of shifting miles for it to soften up. It is now like butter and I love how you cant miss 2nd to third powershift due to the spring that centers it for you. Also I have no noise because I used lots of teflon tape on the threads before putting the stock **** back on.

I know its not just me being "used" to it because anyone can hop in my car and drive it with no complaints.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:40 AM
BOUT X
Corvette Cowboy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

all you stay tuned to this thread a vendor here is going to have what you all want very soon i will not mention any more until i finish making it

Pops
Old 07-17-2011, 10:11 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I find the stock shifter to be fine, although I agree the **** is kinda "eh" both from an appearance and comfort perspective.

Is it smooth as a BMW? No...and if I wanted that I'd buy one. I'll take mine a little notchy as homage to the M-22, thank you very much. I like my Corvettes just a little raw...
Old 07-17-2011, 06:56 PM
road dog
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get an RSD snap shifter and new fluid and the venom mod and belive me night and day
Old 07-17-2011, 07:06 PM
p1bz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the stiffness, and am actually not impressed with these t-56's. I have one in my Mazda with a B&M ripper, and it is fine, but my z06 is worlds stiffer. I just did an ebay shifter "exact same as B&M" less than 30 bucks shipped, antivenom mod, and Royal Purple with TX7 treatment, made a HUGE differance, but still not as good as an old 5.0 mustang. LOL The Anti-venom mod works.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:47 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Anxiously waiting for it.....

Originally Posted by BOUT X
all you stay tuned to this thread a vendor here is going to have what you all want very soon i will not mention any more until i finish making it

Pops
Old 07-17-2011, 11:00 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettebob1
All of you guys complaining about shift effort on your C5's need to learn what actually causes the problem.
It's really not much to do with the shifter itself, sure you can change the feel some by using different ratio shifters but that isn't the real problem.
The real issue is the reflected inertia of the clutch disc, if you replace the single disc with a smaller diameter dual disc you will find a world of difference.

The first sentence is correct, and so is the second. Your opinion goes off track starting with, "The real issue..." I've had the stock shifter, then tried the BPP. Then I did the anti-venom mod, and put RP in the trans. Next up was the C6Z shifter, and now I have the newer style MGW, with C6 ****.(only part that was good) Then I changed to a dual disc clutch and lighter flywheel, with a Tick master. Throughout all these changes, there was nothing significantly different in the notchiness of the shifts. This is a by product of our internal shift rail transmissions, at least the Tremecs that're in our cars. There's no getting totally rid of the problem, IMO. Maybe a customized tranny, but I kind of doubt it. I will say, my preference, of all these component failures, is the MGW shifter. It's stiff, and notchy, but at least it's accurate, and short throw. No Tremec will shift as smoothly as a good 'ol Muncie, IMO.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:27 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by zeevette
No Tremec will shift as smoothly as a good 'ol Muncie, IMO.
Ummm...which Muncie? I can't say having spent years behind an M-22 that anyone would call it "smooth"...?
Old 07-18-2011, 07:59 AM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

I like the B&M Ripper that's on my 02Z.Fresh Amsoil ATD fluid AND the anti-venom mod really made my shifting much better.

IMO...of course.

\db2
carolina
Old 07-18-2011, 09:19 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by billla
Ummm...which Muncie? I can't say having spent years behind an M-22 that anyone would call it "smooth"...?
I had a M21 in my SS350 Camaro, and though it had really long throws, I could do no-lift shifts with ease.
ElectricBluZ06 (05-09-2023)
Old 07-19-2011, 01:39 AM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Man that muncie musta been one hell of a transmisson. Im 26 and have had a 99SS Camaro for 3 years (hydroplane totaled) and now my 01Z for almost 4 years and he STILL talks about that transmission!
Old 11-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Twisted99
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by baxsom
You have to be the first person that has ever not liked the C6 shifter. I switched my hurst out for a shortened one and love it.
I'm another that hated it. It seemed only slightly better than the stock C5 shifter.

Originally Posted by Steve454
Same here!

My wife bought the B&M for me for Christmas in 03 and I thought it was awesome. Then last year I'm reading about the C6Z06 shifter, so I bought one used, HATED it, sold it. A few weeks later got a newer ripper and put the C6 **** on it, better than the c5/c6 stock shifters, but today I decided to put the "original" B&M back, perfection, well, except for the ****.

anyone want to buy a 2nd gen ripper
Old 11-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Qweklain
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another element that can mess with the shifting are the bushings and alignment of the shift-box.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Vicarious.
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettebob1
All of you guys complaining about shift effort on your C5's need to learn what actually causes the problem.
It's really not much to do with the shifter itself, sure you can change the feel some by using different ratio shifters but that isn't the real problem.
The real issue is the reflected inertia of the clutch disc, if you replace the single disc with a smaller diameter dual disc you will find a world of difference.
With that logic, would you say that having an LS7 clutch would make your shifts even harder? Larger diameter + dual disc
Old 02-14-2022, 02:48 PM
Goat 2 Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 467 Likes on 275 Posts

Where are the directions on how to do this? The links show nothing on this..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I don't think a C6 shifter helps at all