C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5th gear grind fixed, bad reverse lockout solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 12:15 PM
_r2h
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgeorge27@gmail.com
I am in this same boat. I had to replace the old one with the new "updated" one, but have issues after getting the new one installed. The one locks me out of reverse 100% of the time, but 1-6 work fine. I put the new solenoid in from GM and now I can't get to 1,3,5,6, but 2,4 and reverse work....any ideas? please help..have a car show in 2 days for charity and car isnt working...
I think this is going to involve more than just the reverse lock out solenoid. The solenoid is only suppose to lock out reverse at the appropriate times (moving forward), not lock out your forward moving gears.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:10 PM
ebatters
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it's not likley - but could this problem have anything to do with difficulty engaging 1st gear from a standing stop? I've changed out fluid and seen no improvement - this happens about 50% of time. 2001 78K miles
Old 12-29-2012, 08:35 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

First gear is difficult for any transmission to sync up. The T 56 does a pretty good job. If your having issues selecting 1st gear, you could have damaged synchros.

How does it feel getting into 1st from engine on dead stop, slow roll down shifting and engine off? Does cold or hot make a difference?

BC
Old 12-29-2012, 09:45 PM
ebatters
Advanced

Dead stop is the issue - slow roll seems to be fine...Cold or hot does not seem to make a diff. Engine off - no issue noted.
Unfortunately, I'm in Afghanistan for a while and can't test it more - but I want to be able to point a mechanic to the potential fix while other work is being done and it's on a lift.
Thanks
Old 12-30-2012, 12:24 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ebatters
Dead stop is the issue - slow roll seems to be fine...Cold or hot does not seem to make a diff. Engine off - no issue noted.
Unfortunately, I'm in Afghanistan for a while and can't test it more - but I want to be able to point a mechanic to the potential fix while other work is being done and it's on a lift.
Thanks
First,,, THANK YOU for serving! Stay Safe and come home soon!!

I driven several C5 that had finikey dead stop engagment issues. Its most likely a slightly worn synchro issue. I have learned to ever so slightly engage the clutch while pressing forward on the shift handle and it usually resolves the issue.

However,, If you have never serviced your clutch hydraulic system, have them flush/bleed the master/slave.

The expert with this system is Rick Kim, Contact him by e-mail and see if he has any recommendations for you to provide the mechanics.

Unless you want the trans removed and rebuilt, I wouldnt worry too much about it

RKT56

http://rkt56.com
Phone number: 301-257-0930
205 Bucheimer Road, #C
Frederick, MD 21701

See what Rick has to say. I trust his recommendations 100%

Bill Curlee
Old 04-12-2013, 05:28 PM
maxG
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just wanted to post my experience.
It took me a while and the method of using a 1/4 socket with 13mm worked well.
i would caution though when putting the solenoid assembly back into the tranny that you be sure it seats properly. Mine went in **** eyed the first 2 times and the stupid single bolt was happy to thread in quite a ways before i noticed by feeling with my hands that there was an odd gap. Once i got it right it still didnt seat completely flush but it was aligned properly. I figured best not strip out the aluminum threads on the housing and the O ring sealed it up just fine.

in one pic you can see the zip tie i was using as a feeler gage lol.
that was the one where it seated straight.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:03 PM
COS C5
Navigator

A very informative post. I removed the assembly and seperated the solenoid. The plunger was stuck in the out position. Tapped it lightly and it loosend up, but would stick every now and then when testing it with a 12v source. I sprayed some lube around the plunger and worked it until it didn't stick any longer. Reinstalled and it functions now, no more inadvertant reverse gear grinds. I understand this is a temp fix at best so ordered the replacement piece for the perm solution. Thanks again for the good posts.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:17 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Marking this for later when I get the car in the air, thank you
I've ground reverse twice at speed and was not happy with the sound
Old 10-27-2013, 11:32 PM
COS C5
Navigator

I installed the new solenoid. The temp fix lasted less than a few hundred miles. You must be very careful not to cross thread the mounting bolt and have the Trans in Rev. when installing the solenoid. It should slip all the way in when installing it, if it doesn't then check the position of the gear lever.

When installing the solenoid assembly on the transmission you should be able to push it most of the way in before installing the mounting bolt. If you can't , then you have the shift lever in the wrong position. It's been a couple of months since I installed mine, but I think I had to have the lever in reverse to get the assembly to slide and seat into the trans. If the assembly is not sliding in most of the way then change the position of your lever so it will. bottom line, don't force it to seat, change the position of the shift lever to allow it to fit properly, N or R not hard to figure out. I wrote what I recalled doing.

Last edited by COS C5; 12-17-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:03 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by COS C5
I installed the new solenoid. The temp fix lasted less than a few hundred miles. You must be very careful not to cross thread the mounting bolt and have the Trans in Rev. when installing the solenoid. It should slip all the way in when installing it, if it doesn't then check the position of the gear lever.
Please rephrase this part just in case you did not mean it this way
Old 12-13-2013, 12:17 PM
emmett77
Heel & Toe

I think I'm having this issue now, at least intermittently. Can someone please confirm the statement regarding having the tranny in reverse during installation of a new solenoid?
Old 03-04-2014, 12:41 PM
150kWh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 84REDCROSSFIRE
UPDATE......9/21/11

Reverse lockout solenoid is acting up again after working all summer flawlessly. I was gonna just relube it again, but now GM has a new updated part. Old GM# was 12523300, new GM# is 19178634 and is cheaper than the old one ($87.18 shipped GM PartsHouse). New solenoid looks redesigned, i will post pics of both when I get a chance to swap them out. So maybe GM got the new one right........... can only hope
UPDATE ... Mar 2014

FYI 19178634 is still the valid number, even though it doesn't show up in certain forum vendor's C5 listings, when you search it's listed as "Transmission Saftey/Start Warning", and when you email them they say it works on a 2002 even though listed as a '97-'01 part.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:55 AM
David Tatlonghari
4th Gear

i have a 2001 base corvette. 5th gear wont go through it just grinds so bad. 1st to 4th gear works just fine. any help would be appreaciated.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:23 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

I know Iam resurrecting a years ago post...anybody have the pictures showing where it is along with how to take it out?

Quick Reply: 5th gear grind fixed, bad reverse lockout solenoid