C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent diff leak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 04:35 PM
jjaaam
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Intermittent diff leak?

My 2003 has developed a case of leaky butt, but it seems to be fairly sporadic. I've gotten to the point where I check the garage floor every time I take it out. Sometimes it looks like a drop or two, and other times it can go for over a week or two without leaking at all.

At what point should I bite the bullet and get it fixed?

One thing I'm wondering about is if it's leaking at all when I'm driving. Will pressure cause it to leak? The amount of leaks in the garage isn't extreme, but it's there. My concern is that it's leaking while I'm driving and that there may be a lot less fluid in the diff than I think there is. I don't have a lift so I really don't have an easy way to check the fluid level.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:39 PM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

Where's it leaking from?
Old 06-25-2019, 07:00 PM
jjaaam
Pro

Originally Posted by gimp
Where's it leaking from?
Not sure if it's coming from an axle seal or from the diff cover. I haven't put it up on jack stands to shimmy under it to see.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:40 PM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

My 2c: Get underneath, see if you can figure out where it's leaking; good chance you won't be able to tell for sure, in that case, clean the diff and trans to be fairly shiny, then wait a couple weeks, and you'll really see where the leak is.

Oh, and before you clean it, top it off with fluid to make sure you've got enough.

Chances are (caveat emptor) it's not gonna suddenly dump fluid. Chances are that if you wait a month, you'll have a better idea of the leak location and cost to repair.

Alternatively, just bring it right in to the shop and have 'em freshen up everything that wants freshening, and don't worry about it for another 15 years.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:43 AM
lunaticfringe007
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Have you noticed how you were driving before the leaks? I was talking to a mechanic and they told me that there is a vent tube on these and when people drive hard or long distances at high speed they do tend to lose a little fluid out of that tube.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:57 AM
jjaaam
Pro

Originally Posted by lunaticfringe007
Have you noticed how you were driving before the leaks? I was talking to a mechanic and they told me that there is a vent tube on these and when people drive hard or long distances at high speed they do tend to lose a little fluid out of that tube.
Yeah, I’ve heard that too. Problem with that is I’ve had it for five years now and it’s never leaked a drop on my garage floor until this year. No change in how I’ve been driving it.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:00 PM
Simtech
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

The vent tube is actually a vent cap and they have a tendency to get stuck shut. When they get stuck it can cause pressure inside the diff and cause leaks. If you can reach up on top of the diff and move/jiggle(technical term) it then it can vent and your problem might go away. Google for a pic that will help you find it. Good Luck, mine leaked only when it was cold ( well in south Alabama 40 degrees is cold) until I did this.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:56 PM
jjaaam
Pro

Originally Posted by Simtech
The vent tube is actually a vent cap and they have a tendency to get stuck shut. When they get stuck it can cause pressure inside the diff and cause leaks. If you can reach up on top of the diff and move/jiggle(technical term) it then it can vent and your problem might go away. Google for a pic that will help you find it. Good Luck, mine leaked only when it was cold ( well in south Alabama 40 degrees is cold) until I did this.
Good to know - I’ll give that a shot. Thanks!
Old 06-29-2019, 02:05 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Corvette differential vent and sensor by froggy

Get notified of new replies

To Intermittent diff leak?

Quick Reply: Intermittent diff leak?