C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help C5 automatic seems to slip out of gear at 40mph

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 12:44 PM
Scatbob
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help C5 automatic seems to slip out of gear at 40mph

Hi.... I have a 97 C5 automatic with around 57k miles on it. recently when driving around 40mph, the car will surge and rpms will fluctuate... almost like its slipping in and out of gear. When that happens, if I accelerate the rpms go up but doesn't really put power to the wheels.
I also notice when taking off from a stop, the engine will rev and car will go but really doesn;t seem like its putting full power to the wheels... other times it launches normal.
I also notice that transmission temp runs in low to mid 200's at times.. is that normal?
I don't know of any shops near me that specialize in vettes. Just wondering if this sounds like something serious or if changing trans fluid would help.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-28-2022, 02:02 PM
1wholikescars
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 62 Posts

The first thing to check is the fluid.
1- is it filled correctly? Might be leaking
2-What color is the fluid? Nice and red or burnt smelling and dark?

You could change the fluid to see if it helps.

Odds are , if the fluid is not low, there are clutches that need to be rebuilt. If you can get it out yourself, you will save some on the labor if brought to the shop.
Old 01-28-2022, 02:21 PM
Scatbob
5th Gear

Thanks for the reply!... now I just need to figure out a way to squeez under the thing to check the fluid I was thinking about changing the fluid anyway... not a lot of miles but 25 years?? guess its time

Last edited by Vetteman Jack; 01-29-2022 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:23 PM
jim993
Drifting

Received 523 Likes on 334 Posts

There is a special way to check fluid. If you don't do it right it will make things worse.

Changing the fluid and filter on a C5 A4 is fairly easy, but there are specific procedures to insure that the fluid level is correct after the change:

After replacing the filter and bolting the pan back up, fill with new fluid to the drain/ check level plug hole. Then start the engine and leave it running with the transmission in PARK.

Immediately add fluid through the drain/ check level plug hole until fluid flows out of the plug hole. It may take as much as another couple of quarts.

With your foot holding the brakes, cycle the transmission through all the gears, then back to PARK.

Go back underneath and make sure that fluid is still dribbling out of the fill/ check level plug hole. You might have to add some.

With the engine still running and the transmission in PARK, monitor transmission temperature on the DIC. When transmission temperature rises to 122 F, put the plug in the fill/ Check level hole. Keep a pan under the hole, fluid will dribble out as the transmission temperature rises.

Do NOT shut the engine down until the plug is in the fill/ check level hole. If you do, HOT fluid will gush out and the transmission will be low on fluid.

I recommend full synthetic fluid.

Keep in mind that the above procedure drains about half the fluid in the A4. The other half is in the torque converter and other works.

You will need a small hand pump to pump the fluid into the fill/ check level hole.
Old 01-29-2022, 09:39 AM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

I agree. I've done mine. BUT-As jim993 posted, DO NOT, REPEAT, DO NOT, SHUT THE ENGINE OFF WHILE THE DRAIN PLUG IS OUT!!!! Please don't ask how I know

Last edited by Vetteman Jack; 01-29-2022 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-29-2022, 12:32 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,232 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moved to C5 Tech.
Old 01-31-2022, 09:44 AM
Autotragic
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Check the servos on the side of the transmission they are real pain in the butt to do with the transmission in but it can be done. But it is probably time to service the transmission as well so I would go ahead and do that.
Old 12-26-2023, 12:56 PM
Johncastle
6th Gear

I have a very similar issue. My '17 A8 does NOT seem to like 2nd gear. On stop n go traffic, nearing a stop the downshift goes down to 3 and is stuck on the regardless of how slow you are going. Once u go to a complete stop it goes from 3 to 1, and if you tine it just right around a "rolling" stop or or stop n go traffic, it jerks when goingon 1st again. After gear 3, high rev/speeds it works brautifulky. Just that city driving niusance between 3>1

Get notified of new replies

To Help C5 automatic seems to slip out of gear at 40mph

Quick Reply: Help C5 automatic seems to slip out of gear at 40mph