C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 01:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

manual transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 02:44 PM
wagner262
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default manual transmission fluid change

curious why the owners manual says that you do not need to change manual transmission fluid? is it cause you only need to change the clutch fluid? sorry probably a dumb question

100,000 Miles (160 000 km)
j Replace spark plugs. An Emission Control Service.
j Inspect spark plug wires. An Emission Control Service.
DATE
ACTUAL MILEAGE
SERVICED BY:
DATE
ACTUAL MILEAGE
SERVICED BY:
7-11
yellow blue
Scheduled Maintenance
j Change automatic transmission fluid and filter if the vehicle is mainly driven under one or more of these conditions:

In heavy city traffic where the outside temperature regularly reaches 90_F (32_C) or higher.
`Manual transmission fluid doesn’t require change.
In hilly or mountainous terrain. Uses such as high performance operation.
j If you haven’t used your vehicle under severe conditions listed previously and, therefore, haven’t changed your automatic transmission fluid, change both the fluid and filter. Manual transmission fluid doesn’t require change.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by wagner262
curious why the owners manual says that you do not need to change manual transmission fluid? is it cause you only need to change the clutch fluid? sorry probably a dumb question
Not all things in the manual can be anticipated. If your car's transmission fluid is original it would be about 12 years old. 12 yr old Dexron 3 doesn't work very well.

Expect a debate to follow as to what to use to replace the original transmission fluid. I've ran Dexron 6 in mine for over a year now and 20K plus miles. The use of Dexron 6 was suggested to me by one of the top people in transmission lubrications, and who works for General Motors. I was amazed at how much better the transmission shifts with Dexron 6. Whatever fluid you choose to use, will be better than using 12 yr old Dexron 3.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

You have an early C5. The fluid that you should use is the new standard DEXTRON ATF.

You can also use AMSOIL ATF and its a excellent upgrade and compatable with your synchro blocker rings.
Contact forum member SUBDRIVER (forum sponsor & supplier for AMSOIL) for the AMSOIL SYnthetic ATF

I changed the ATF in my 98 at 50,000 because I was having an issue with some very minor grinding when shifting into third gear.

The ATF that came out was HORRIBLE! It was very thin and had lots of wear particles in it. The crap looked like metal flake paint!

Just the new ATF made a significant improvement!

DO IT! You will NOT BE DISAPOINTED! Screw what the manual says.

BC
Old 07-29-2011, 04:52 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee

BC
unless of course, you are talking about engine oil which in that case your car will explode and your kids will turn into zombies if you use anything but what the manual says.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:00 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 77 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by baxsom
unless of course, you are talking about engine oil which in that case your car will explode and your kids will turn into zombies if you use anything but what the manual says.
...taken out of context. Bill was not referring to the type of fluid used....rather..the lack of information regarding trans fluid change specifically. In which case, I could not agree more with Bill....change the fluid on a interval.......
Old 07-29-2011, 09:37 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Royal Purple Syncromax!
Old 07-29-2011, 09:58 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
You have an early C5. The fluid that you should use is the new standard DEXTRON ATF.

You can also use AMSOIL ATF and its a excellent upgrade and compatable with your synchro blocker rings.
Contact forum member SUBDRIVER (forum sponsor & supplier for AMSOIL) for the AMSOIL SYnthetic ATF

I changed the ATF in my 98 at 50,000 because I was having an issue with some very minor grinding when shifting into third gear.

The ATF that came out was HORRIBLE! It was very thin and had lots of wear particles in it. The crap looked like metal flake paint!

Just the new ATF made a significant improvement!

BC
I will add my input to Bill's... 1997, 98 , 99 and 2000 MN6 transmission require Dex III because if the formulation..2001 and up can use Dex VI.... you are only asking for trouble putting in anything other than DexIII in an early MN6.... I just replaced my 12 year old ( 80,000 miles ) trans fluid yesterday and it looked dark and flaky.. I replaced it with Dex III.... Note... right on the trans case it says Dex III only. It has smoothed out the shift dramatically..
Old 07-30-2011, 03:11 AM
wagner262
Pro

thanks guys! just curious why the hell gm would put that in. i have a 99 idk if its been changed but looks like ill be changing it along with my rear end fluid
Old 07-30-2011, 10:07 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by wagner262
thanks guys! just curious why the hell gm would put that in. i have a 99 idk if its been changed but looks like ill be changing it along with my rear end fluid
Its easy to change and will cost you less than 20 dollars... It cost me 18 dollars and change for 5 quarts...with my discount.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:15 PM
wagner262
Pro

yeah i lift my car all the time not worried about the labor... but what discount
Old 07-30-2011, 06:57 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default A Change in my thinking

After reading a GM test document provided to me by EricD ( Thank you very much )... I have changed my thinking with respect to DexIII for an
Older C5... The New formula DexVI which is licenced by GM and backwards compatible, adds additional benefits from the original Dex III... but because DexIII is no longer licenced by GM, the oil companies can change their formula...I doubt that this will be the case but because Dex VI is a superior fluid, fully test by GM and Backwards compatible.. I would recommend it to anyone... I am so sure that this is so, that IM going to take out my 2 day old DexIII and refill with Dex VI.... Thanks again Eric...
Bill aka ET
Old 08-22-2013, 08:14 PM
dgoff
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Evil-Twin

How did the Dextron 6 work out?
Old 09-09-2013, 12:45 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

The last information I read still says that Dexron VI is only for automatic transmissions designed to use it.
GM still recommends their current version of Dexron III, which is called Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid.
Part #88861800
Old 09-09-2013, 05:42 PM
woodman300
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

maybe evil twin can tell us what gm was thinking by not ever changing the transmissioj fluid. I changed mine out at 55k and it shifts like butter. I used royal purple and have experienced no problems yet. it is a 2000 btw

Get notified of new replies

To manual transmission fluid change

Quick Reply: manual transmission fluid change