C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help finding a good clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 05:12 PM
NamzooG
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help finding a good clutch

Hello I was wondering hat would be a good clutch to put in the 02 c5 zo6 I need to replace the throw out bearing and I figured It would be a good time to change the clutch my car only has a X-pipe exhaust and no mods to the engine. any help would be nice thanks
Old 07-29-2013, 06:47 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

I am not experienced enough to give advice around here, but I selected the McCloud RST clutch with a McCloud steel flywheel . My primary decision points were cost and drivability. I went with the stock GM throw out bearing and reservoir , although from the high line model.

Both goals were met, with an additional cost to balance the assembly. I would have gotten a lighter flywheel had I known that my teenage son would have little interest in driving the car, but it was also my first experience with selecting non factory clutch parts, so , not wanting to make a mistake , went conservative.

Car drives easily, with a little lighter clutch feel, and you can modulate the clutch as much as needed easily.

The one concern I found in shopping for this stuff is that the main market is for performance clutches, race stuff that is quick, like an on -off switch. Good for most customers, since the drivability people mostly buy stock, I assume, but bad for sales since a racing style clutch limits sales to non performance customers.

So I had to kind of read between the lines to find out about drivability, since nobody selling clutches to the mass market is going to say these clutches are tough to drive around town, even when most of their customers accept the unavoidable trade offs between performance and other design concerns.

The company offered advice over the phone , and was easy to reach. In the future, I can rebuild the part. PLus, they make an entire assembly, so a beginner, me, can select parts that will match optimally, and not spend money on stuff that works conceptually, but is a combo that is shunned by experienced builders as not optimal .

Quick Reply: Need help finding a good clutch