C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car overheats over 1500 rpm. Temp is fine at idle....need help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 07:42 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

When I cleaned mine out I then put a light behind the radiators to actually "SEE" through them. THAT'S the only way to make sure all debris is blown out.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:30 PM
vettefan84
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Fans turn off at highway speeds, leaving only flow through air circulation to exchange heat, at low speeds the fans are on and help force air through your partially clogged radiator and ac condenser.. clean then both out, best way is from the back toward the front of the car... the radiator sits behind the ac condenser, so if either is clogged you will have a problem..its best if you remove the top radiator shroud , 4 bolts... then clean out the ac condenser using a long wand and an air compressor.. once you clean out the condenser..put a piece of cardboard to protect the condenser from being clogged again with debris from the radiator as you clean it... you can use a long brush too.. they sell dryer brushes at home depot to clean out your clothes dryer vent.
I know i.m late here but my question is...is better if i take out the radiator to clean it out of the car? Or i can use air pression with the radiator installed? Also cleaning the condenser of course
Old 04-03-2019, 08:29 PM
Myle Inniss
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same here!

Originally Posted by XLR8BYU
Will do. Thanks for your help.
Don't listen to him. You're right to question why it only happens durring acceleration. My car started this today as well. It can be a bad starter disrupting the ecu or just a bad ecu. I'm going to find out myself soon.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:10 AM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Hmmm....eight year old thread. I hope you have trusted mechanic to take care of your car. A starter or ecu is not going to cause your car to overheat.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:03 PM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

And considering OP actually did resolve their issue eight years ago, AND the original poster who said "clean it out FIRST" was 100% correct ... yeah.

Your ECU is not causing the engine to overheat by the way. Hard acceleration naturally means a lot more temperature. Start a new thread with ALL the symptoms and exactly what you're doing, and I am sure we can help prod you in a useful direction.

Quick Reply: Car overheats over 1500 rpm. Temp is fine at idle....need help ASAP