C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 A/C Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2023, 03:20 PM
rocketrod777
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1998 A/C Problems

Just heard back from my mechanic. He said my Vette will need a new compressor and a new condenser. The driver side A/C blows hot; the passenger side blows cool.
Is this a dual system?

he wants to charge me $1800 for new compressor and new condensor…

What should I do? Rod
Old 02-10-2023, 04:55 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,122 Likes on 1,687 Posts

This condition can be a system low on Freon so maybe it’s time to take your car to another Tech…did he throw some gauges on it ???…maybe find yourself an AC repair shop…doesn’t sound like your mechanic is too sharp !!…I see you’re in the Great State of Florida so there are many down here…if you are low on Freon there is a leak somewhere…fix that first !!…WHY did he say you need those parts ????
Old 02-10-2023, 06:36 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

Mine had the same symptoms. It was low on freon. It's 25 years old. It leaked a little. I added some. That was several years ago. Get the freon that has leak repair in it.

Your tech is taking the high road. If you replace everything, everything will work like new. In that way he's correct. You're paying.

He's putting his kid through college. He has a boat payment. His girlfriend needs a new bracelet. You need a/c. Perfect together.

Old 02-13-2023, 07:57 AM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 664 Likes on 532 Posts

$1800 seems high to me. I’d start with a second opinion from a A/C shop, or borrow a set of gages. I’ve had good luck with Ice Cold Air on Colonial, and hear good things about Riker’s on Central Florida. Many of the compressor warranties require charging the condenser and receiver/drier at the same time. Stand alone parts prices run from the $200s to over a $K. Removal and replacement takes several hours, with several compressor tutorials indicating the water pump needs to come out.
Delphi (the original supplier) compressors run $260ish on Amazon, Four Seasons and similar closer to $400 at the ‘zone.

Get notified of new replies

To 1998 A/C Problems

Quick Reply: 1998 A/C Problems