C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broken fender tab on a 01

Old 10-27-2011, 11:54 AM
ljkooze
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken fender tab on a 01

The passenger's side bottom fender tab which holds the fender to the frame snapped off. Now the fender sticks out a bit at the bottom since there is no screw holding the fender to the frame. Is there a simple fix for this problem?
Old 10-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

If you have the broken tab, a body shop can to bond it to the fender. The downside is the repair won't likely be permanent and won't look as good as new. If you remove the fender, I can't imagine a body shop charging more than an hour's labor for it.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:27 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 259 Posts

Is it the tab on the fender or the tab on the rocker panel that is broken off?

Mine is missing the rocker panel tab so I just run a long screw through the fender tab into the the frame. It ain't great but it doesn't flap in the breeze.

If it's the fender, there should be enough meat on the bottom to take a long sheet metal screw and a "fender" washer (wow! that is where that comes from...) and screw it into the frame.

Do this on a warm day or warm the fender up with a hair dryer so it can bend without breaking.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:31 PM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Like Tech says, it can be glued. I use Fusor products for these repairs and the plastic adhesive is really strong. As sugested, you should take it to a shop. It would not pay to buy he adhesive cartridge and special applicator gun for one small repair.

I doubt anyone would notice the repair since it is under the car. Unless you are a field mouse.

Get notified of new replies

To broken fender tab on a 01

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: broken fender tab on a 01