C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing chain failures - what is the common cause?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 11:52 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Default timing chain failures - what is the common cause?

The thread title pretty much covers it - what is the common cause of timing set failures. Also, which timing sets seem to work best to remedy the problem?
Old 11-12-2011, 12:06 AM
Jnape
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

The harmonic balancer has a bunch to do with it. Stock ones taking a dump or an UD pully of certain brands have been a likely cause of failure.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:17 AM
69SSC5
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

common cause is bad harmonics, i.e. spending alot of time between 3,500-6,000 or so RPM's. I have always heard that this RPM range play's havoc of sorts with the harmonics of the motor. a busted chain is not a common problem for those that don't road race (scca or other). there are some rumors on the internet that say a certain brand of UD pulley is the cause of timing chain failure but when you dig deeper you will find that most the guys that bust there timing chain race their car. there is only one true harmonic damper for the LS that i am aware of and that is the ATI super damper

Last edited by 69SSC5; 11-12-2011 at 12:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-12-2011, 01:47 AM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

I think the stock timing set is crap! chain has slop and sprockets are not that great.

Cloyes makes a nice set with billet sprokets and the LS2 chain, has adjustable timing for the cam and there is zero chain slack

The only dampener for an LS engine is the ATI. Do your research and you will see.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:36 AM
69SSC5
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by printmanjackson
I think the stock timing set is crap! chain has slop and sprockets are not that great.

Cloyes makes a nice set with billet sprokets and the LS2 chain, has adjustable timing for the cam and there is zero chain slack

The only dampener for an LS engine is the ATI. Do your research and you will see.
True harmonic balancer yes. What other true harmonic balancer do you know of? not powerbond, not asp. I agree about the hex adjust timing set, great timing set
Old 11-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The STOCK OEM LS1 chain just plain SUCKS! It stretches very easy and when there is a lot of slop in the chain, the chain tries to wrap up on its self on the slack side of the chain when you change from acceleration to deceleration and vise versa.

The rollers on an LS1 chain are NOT solid!!! If you compare the LS2 chain (installed) and the LS1 chain, you can see how inferior the LS1 chain is.
If you look very close at the roller (top chain roller between my two fingers) you can see how the roller is NOT solid and has a parting line.

They frequently split in half and fall into the crank case which leads to chain failure. The LS2 chain is a little more robust BUT,, its by far NOT the best chain that you can run if your going to run the car very hard.

I have it in my 02 Z and it seems to be holding up very well!

I was one of the lucky few that got to order a chain dampener before they vanished from the GM parts counter and my block was factory drilled to allow me to install it. It helps to control the chain slap that promotes chain stretch and stress failures:

BC
The following users liked this post:
Spec Wrench Ops (07-09-2017)
Old 11-12-2011, 03:00 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Timing chain damper (no longer available but Katech had some several months ago) and the harmonic damper are the key components. ATI or stock per Kurt Urban who did a lot of work with the broken timing chains in the road race cars. ASP seems to have strong correlation with broken timing chains and I would avoid.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:15 PM
bracketshark
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rollmaster

I bought and installed A rollmaster (billit) single roller timing set, it tightened everything up no need for a chain dampener with this setup. I ordered a Katech chain first and the same slop was on that chain as the stock chain, it was unacceptable for me, I'm very satisfied with the rollmaster. Now why do chains break, along with balancer issues I think being on a rev limitor in excess has a lot to do with it, this is another reason Nascar went to belt driven timing sets. JMO
Old 11-13-2011, 02:12 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
I was one of the lucky few that got to order a chain dampener before they vanished from the GM parts counter and my block was factory drilled to allow me to install it. It helps to control the chain slap that promotes chain stretch and stress failures:

BC
So the '02 LS1/LS6 didn't have the chain dampener? What engines and what years did from the factory?
Old 11-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I think 05+ did and the LS3 has an entirely different chain dampener.

The 05, 06 dampers look very simular to the dampners for the LS1/LS6 except its black and has a different hole spacing and will not fit LS1/LS6 blocks.

Check out POST#4. Itshows the LS2 Balck Dampenerhttp://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...tensioner.html

Check out POST#29 for GMs latest chain dampener!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...er-damper.html
Old 11-13-2011, 06:11 PM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

I went down this road and in the end bought the ATI dampener and the Cloyes hex adjust timing set
Old 11-13-2011, 09:16 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
So the '02 LS1/LS6 didn't have the chain dampener? What engines and what years did from the factory?
Some special/early 97's did as well. It was part of the motor but removed to save cost. Some early cars made it out of the factory with the timing chain damper in place. Someone on LS1tech was building them, not sure if he still is or not.

Get notified of new replies

To timing chain failures - what is the common cause?

Quick Reply: timing chain failures - what is the common cause?