C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers Side Headlight door wont close.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 08:55 PM
MarkHull323
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Drivers Side Headlight door wont close.

When I turn my headlights off, both door close, then the drivers side headlight door pops up about halfway. I found a couple of posts on here that are a couple of years old, that deal with that. The problem is that the white rubber bumpers mounted near the headlight motor are either worn or missing. The earlier posts cite a technical service bulletin that has a part number for the bumpers, and also directs the technician to shim the motor bolts with washers.
That is super!!!! Visited the Chevy dealership, only to find that the parts are dis-continued. The dealer di however offer to sell me a new headlight assy, that has new bumpers, for about $700.00 (I am not going to be stupid and spend 700 bucks to get my hands on a 2 dollar part.)I managed to try a temporary fix, by pulling the rubber bumper from the top rear of headlight door assy, and putting it on the metal tab near the motor. (it was missing)
That solved the problem!!! But now I am missing the bumper at the top rear of headlight assy. Dont know what problems that may end up causing.
For any of you other corvette owners that may have the same problem, I did find that the rubber bumpers are now carried at ecklers, for only $1.99 ea. am going to order a few. http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1997-2004.html

Quick Reply: Drivers Side Headlight door wont close.