C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can My Chevy dealer do a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 06:27 PM
trainor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can My Chevy dealer do a tune?

I'm gonna install a CAI and Cat Backs. I was told to get the tune. My Chevy dealer says that they can do the tune as can any shop that has the program which they say almost all shops have. Is this true or do I need to go to a speed shop. I'm a little confused. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:32 PM
mitchcole
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trainor
I'm gonna install a CAI and Cat Backs. I was told to get the tune. My Chevy dealer says that they can do the tune as can any shop that has the program which they say almost all shops have. Is this true or do I need to go to a speed shop. I'm a little confused. Thanks in advance.
1. Most dealers won't do a custom tune.
2. You have no need for a tune. The CAI and cat backs don't make a big enough difference to need a tune.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:32 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

Perhaps things have changed, but I've never heard of any dealership service department downloading anything but a stock tune.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:35 PM
trainor
Racer

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Perhaps things have changed, but I've never heard of any dealership service department downloading anything but a stock tune.
That is what he said at the dealership that the stock tune would work. Didn't sound right to me at the time. I was told that I do need the tune with the CAI and Cat Backs now I'm told not to do it?
Old 11-17-2011, 06:48 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

That is what he said at the dealership that the stock tune would work. Didn't sound right to me at the time. I was told that I do need the tune with the CAI and Cat Backs now I'm told not to do it?
You most certainly do not need at tune for a catback system (with the exception of a ***** out 3" racing exhaust system). For 99% of the aftermarket air intake systems, the PCM should adapt fine. Now......if you have never had any tune at all, a good tuner can pick up a few horsepower left on the table with a stock tune.....but the dealership is not going to do this. Sorry, but it sounds like the dealership is blowing smoke up your ***. I wonder how many people actually fall for this nonsense?
Old 11-17-2011, 06:54 PM
trainor
Racer

You most certainly do not need at tune for a catback system (with the exception of a ***** out 3" racing exhaust system). For 99% of the aftermarket air intake systems, the PCM should adapt fine. Now......if you have never had any tune at all, a good tuner can pick up a few horsepower left on the table with a stock tune.....but the dealership is not going to do this. Sorry, but it sounds like the dealership is blowing smoke up your ***. I wonder how many people actually fall for this nonsense?
The car has 100k on it and I'm at 4500 ft above sea level. Does this lean me towards a help with a tune or not. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:58 PM
Lothar34
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The car has 100k on it and I'm at 4500 ft above sea level. Does this lean me towards a help with a tune or not. Thanks for your help.
Probably not. One of the benefits of retuning an LS1 is that you can set it up for 93 octane and get more power out of it. At 4500ft you probably don't have 93, so it won't help you there, and you don't need the tune for the catback and CAI.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:02 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You don't need a tune for those kind of mods.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:17 PM
Vicarious.
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

You don't need a tune!

If you still REALLY feel like you GOTTA have a tune, send it by mail to Frost. The guy is amazing and will do it very cheap and fast.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The STEALERSHIP is NOT authorized to modify your tune other to flash in a stock updated tune or flash in a mod that is authorized by specific repair campaigns. SORRY,, but,, there NOT going to do anything for you.

Adding minimal mods like a cat back will NOT effect the tune. However,, the addition of a cold air intake like a VARARAM can benefit from tuning only cause it will screw the MAF tables and you will run a little rich and loose a few MPG. Its NOT really necessary.

As others have recommended,, SKIP the TUNE until you do some more substantial mods like headers or a cam..

BC
Old 11-17-2011, 11:13 PM
Bubbletop409
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Here's my experience with a dealer tune. I purchased a used 2002 at the beginning of 05, the vehicle already had the first GM recall. Not long after GM issued the second recall where they actually removed the column lock, and that was also done. Fast forward a couple of years and three trips on a roll back due to the fuel shut off issue, I do some research during the third trip and find it is an easy cure to reprogram the computer and solve the issue. I ask the dealer to please do the reprogram and they refuse, all this while still under extended warranty. So I find a local tuner, pay $100.00 for the retune, and not an issue since.

So when GM starts having finanical problems in 09 they bombard me with e-mail offers for all sorts of deals, and I respond telling them I have been a loyal GM customer my entire life, have never asked for a thing, but feel I should be reimbursed for my expense, since I was still under warranty and after three tries the problem was fixed by my own inititive. They denied my request for the $ 100.00, but said they would give me Guardian Care for a year, which amounted to FIVE Mobil 1 oil and filter changes, the retail price was $ 125.00 per visit.

The service writer once ask me why I change my oil so often, and I told him cause they were paying the bill, and reminded him it would have been much cheaper for the dealer to reprogram or reimburse me the hundred bucks, but my engine did get a very good flushing.

GM has since lost my loyalty.

Last edited by Bubbletop409; 11-17-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:27 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

A tune could help make a difference if you have an auto. Not because you would gain much power but because the tuner can do some tweaks to the auto tranny operation. Many user have reported that a good tune will make an auto car seem to come alive. I have a six speed so I can't say on a Vette, but I have done some tuning on a LT1 with an auto and you can really make some cool changes to how an auto operates through tuning.

Peter
Old 11-17-2011, 11:49 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
A tune could help make a difference if you have an auto. Not because you would gain much power but because the tuner can do some tweaks to the auto tranny operation. Many user have reported that a good tune will make an auto car seem to come alive. I have a six speed so I can't say on a Vette, but I have done some tuning on a LT1 with an auto and you can really make some cool changes to how an auto operates through tuning.

Peter
Peter

GOOD POINT!! Yep,, Automatics do benifit alot from reprogramming the pressures and shift points!

BC
Old 11-18-2011, 03:08 AM
David426
Safety Car

Received 130 Likes on 39 Posts

Cat backs are NOT a performance mod with the stock exhaust manifolds and stock cats.. They are a sound mod only.. As far as the Dealership doing a custom tune, I say "Run Forest Run".. Go to a local Speed shop that specializes with the LS series motors or get someone that has experience with a custome tune software.. Going to a Dealership for a tune would be like going to McDonalds and asking them to cook you a Prime Grade Rib Roast.. Even if the Dealer has the software, which I seriously doubt, The Technician will have little or no experience with using it. Chuck Cow does mail order tunes for under $200.. You will have to pull out your PCM and send it off.. Its best just to wait until you do a full exhaust, and/or cam. I will say that I had a custom tune on my 99 C5 and my 02 Z06, both with only CAI. The 99 C5 had a cat back Borla Stinger exhaust, which made no difference.. The 99 C5 A4 went from 290 rwhp bone stock to 298 rwhp with CAI and Bolrla cat back to 316rwhp after tune. and my Z06 went from 352 bone stock to 362 with CAI to 380rwhp after tune..

Last edited by David426; 11-18-2011 at 03:53 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:48 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

As said NO chevy dealer will do anything other than a factory tune.
Do some real mods then worry about it.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:10 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We are prevented by law to do anything but a factory tune,nor do we have the proper programs for any such things at our dealership.I would think all dealerships would have the same gov controls.A good after market tuner may help you pick up a few hidden ponies.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:06 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Not a good idea....

Not a good idea.... I can send you the EFI LIVE AUTOCAL and we can do the whole thing

thru your e-mail...Click the link in my signature for information on autocal.

If you send me your e-mail, I'll send you my autocal video to watch.

It is your BEST option without me coming there.

Call any time.

Chuck CoW

Get notified of new replies

To Can My Chevy dealer do a tune?

Old 11-18-2011, 01:29 PM
99 vett babycar
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 11-18-2011, 02:39 PM
voda1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Service department definition of a tune: spark plugs, fuel filter, pcv.
Forum definition of tune: reprogram pcm using custom tuning software.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:06 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Very GOOD point!

Originally Posted by voda1
Service department definition of a tune: spark plugs, fuel filter, pcv.
Forum definition of tune: reprogram pcm using custom tuning software.
Very GOOD point!

You would be surprised to know that new customers ask me about "TUNES"

for these cars and they're actually thinking about plugs and wires....

Boy are they surprised when they get MY TUNE!
Chuck CoW

Quick Reply: Can My Chevy dealer do a tune?