C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand new c6 z06 shocks leaking slightly?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 07:10 PM
SuzukiDan7
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Brand new c6 z06 shocks leaking slightly?

I just bought a set of new 2010 z06 shocks from a member here, who never installed them. He did not take them out of the box so he did not see the oil weep.

They are just barely weeping a little oil around the tops by the rod, the rod also has a slight amount of oil on them. All 4 shocks are doing a similar thing, so it made me wonder if this is something that can happen normally? Maybe the shocks were just overfilled slightly ?
I've been compressing and releasing them and do not hear any air bubbles, and fluid doesnt shoot out of them, but if they sit for a while there will be just enough oil on the tops to wet a small corner of a paper towel.

I'm going to keep an eye on them to see if the leaks continue, but just wanted to see if anyone else had ever noticed something like this?
Old 11-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Wipe off the oil and monitor.. Were the shocks a BITCH to compress when you installed them or were they just a little tough to compress??

BC
Old 11-21-2011, 08:48 AM
SuzukiDan7
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Wipe off the oil and monitor.. Were the shocks a BITCH to compress when you installed them or were they just a little tough to compress??

BC
Well, its tough to say if our definitions of 'a bitch' vs 'a little tough' to compress are the same, so best I can do is describe what I did and hope it gives you an idea.

I took one rear shock off my 02 z06 which has 85k miles on it. The old shock has no signs of oil leaks nor are any air bubbles heard when compressing.
When compressing side by side, the old and new shocks seem to compress with about the same amount of force. I'm 6'2" 185 and I need to really lean a lot of weight on them to compress both at the same time. When I release them both, the old z06 shock decompresses at a slower rate, I'd say that one takes about 5 seconds to get back to full length while the new c6 z06 shock takes about 4 seconds.

The new shock did seem to push back out with about the same force, maybe a little harder to compress than the old one but not by much, if any. They feel very similar honestly. Biggest difference I noticed was the new one rebounds to full length faster. Both of the new rear shocks act the same.
Thanks for the help!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:43 AM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

SuzukiDan can you give us an update on these? Anyone else had this problem with new C6 Zo6 shocks leaking oil out of the box?
Old 09-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

New shocks should NOT leak oil or the nitrogen charge at all.

IF,, you see oil,,, ,, some of the nitrogen charge is GONE! Unless you were GRUNTING and using your body weight against the ground to compress the shocks,, they are NOT fully charged and substandard!

It is very difficult to compress and hold these shocks in the fully compressed position.

Most of us have to use tie wraps or coat hanger wire to keep the shocks compressed while we put them in position and then cut the tie wrap or wire and allow them to expand into place.

Bill
Old 05-20-2022, 05:20 PM
Joshclifford84
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Still wondering this today. I'm 280 and have to put my weight on them to compress. They feel like my OEM R-spec shocks so I'm guessing were good.

Get notified of new replies

To Brand new c6 z06 shocks leaking slightly?

Quick Reply: Brand new c6 z06 shocks leaking slightly?