C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear-gear Swap/Differential Rebuild How-To

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 05:33 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

I also want to change my rear gears myself,have had the same it's too hard for you !!!! I have 20 some years of GM Dealership experience (tech) and have a lot of those special tools !!!!! How did you decide what ratio to go to ?? I was thinking (I have 3.42) of going with 3.73 or 3.90 !!
Along with the rest of the praise you received here I also am impressed, the amount of time and effort is amazing !!!! Thank you very much !!!!
Old 12-16-2015, 05:46 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by akapounder
I also want to change my rear gears myself,have had the same it's too hard for you !!!! I have 20 some years of GM Dealership experience (tech) and have a lot of those special tools !!!!! How did you decide what ratio to go to ?? I was thinking (I have 3.42) of going with 3.73 or 3.90 !!
Along with the rest of the praise you received here I also am impressed, the amount of time and effort is amazing !!!! Thank you very much !!!!
I've had 3.42, 3.90 and 4.10. Get 4.10. It gives you more of what you are putting gears in for.

Only reason to go 3.90 is if you have a blown or nitrous car that can trap higher than 135 in the ¼ mile, if you have that much power, you'll be shifting to 5th before the stripe.
The following users liked this post:
Pounder (12-16-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 02:22 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

MAN,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, You have outdone yourself with this post. I thought the Differential Up-Grade post was good.

WOW!!!

EXCELLENT WORK!

Bill C
Old 12-17-2015, 06:12 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
MAN,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, You have outdone yourself with this post. I thought the Differential Up-Grade post was good.

WOW!!!

EXCELLENT WORK!

Bill C
Talk about beyond the call of duty !!!!!!!
Old 12-22-2016, 06:36 AM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Sub'd
Old 02-28-2017, 03:21 PM
TorqueWinsRaces
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes, I know this is an old thread. I found it because it has information I'm looking for.

This guy needs to be commended. The man made his own tools when he could clearly afford to just go buy them. Unreal. That is so cool. What an inspiration.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:58 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

One of the best how to threads on this forum.

Word to the wise who want to keep this wonderful information... I printed it to a PDF.

Pictures and even entire threads can disappear from the Forum without notice or trace. This is too good to lose!

Thanks again Its_Go_Time for this wonderful thread and taking your valuable time to help your fellow Vette enthusiasts.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:28 PM
swpitman1232
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a dilemma. Need the clutch packs in my differential replaced, contacted a shop that was highly recommended, says he does these all the time, told me his bill of material and said the LH pack is different then the RH pack. I had looked into doing this myself, but can't. All the parts lists I've read including the GM parts dept says the RH and LH is the same part number. This guy says no, they are different. Now I'm not sure if I want him doing the job.
What's your feeling?
Old 04-04-2017, 05:59 PM
tmtraylor
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by swpitman1232
I've got a dilemma. Need the clutch packs in my differential replaced, contacted a shop that was highly recommended, says he does these all the time, told me his bill of material and said the LH pack is different then the RH pack. I had looked into doing this myself, but can't. All the parts lists I've read including the GM parts dept says the RH and LH is the same part number. This guy says no, they are different. Now I'm not sure if I want him doing the job.
What's your feeling?
Some of the online parts diagrams show two different item numbers for the LH vs RH clutch pack (tonkin online) but the underlying part number is the same. That may be the issue with your guy. Get the C6Z belleville springs. Yours will be broken as all C5 belleville springs broke when the cars were driven out of the factory ;-)

It's really not a tough job to do yourself, but if that's not your cup of tea are you able to remove the differential on your own? I would send it off to RKT or RPM and never second guess the quality of the work.

Good luck!

Tim
Old 04-04-2017, 08:37 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by tmtraylor
Some of the online parts diagrams show two different item numbers for the LH vs RH clutch pack (tonkin online) but the underlying part number is the same. That may be the issue with your guy. Get the C6Z belleville springs. Yours will be broken as all C5 belleville springs broke when the cars were driven out of the factory ;-)

It's really not a tough job to do yourself, but if that's not your cup of tea are you able to remove the differential on your own? I would send it off to RKT or RPM and never second guess the quality of the work.

Good luck!

Tim

Tim,,, I agree 100% I ordered my C6 Upgrade parts from Gene Culley and BOTH clutch packs came in a box. NEITHER ONE wa any different than the other. They were interchangable side to side.

Your mechanic is not accurate. YES,, The C6 ZO6 Spring is superior to the C5 CRAP. IF,, you have to have the clutch packs and springs replaced, PLEASE do your self a favor and also purchase the C6 UpGraded output shafts. 1000000% better than the C5 OEM crap.

Here are TWO outstanding post that detail whats all about the up-grade and how simple it is:

- C5, ragtopws6 , Upgrading your C5 rear with C6 Z06 guts, : http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-z06-guts.html
-

- C5, Its_Go_Time, Output Shaft Install - Left and Right: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...post1573407966

- C5 Differential Seal replacement: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...on-photos.html
IRON MAIDEN (04-04-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 11:44 AM
swpitman1232
Cruising

Good luck!

Tim
Thank you for your input.
This guy said he does plenty of these rebuilds and argued that the clutch packs were different between sides. I asked why does it only give one part number and says two required, he didn't answer.
He also said I would probably need new bearings. OK by me ,while you're in there.
I used to have a lift and did all my own stuff, but since I moved and only have a garage floor and jack stands, at 66, I don't feel I would be able to pull the differential. He wants $1,600 to do the job, sounds really high to me.
Like I said, he was referred by several people on the forum. He only works on vettes.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:48 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,386 Likes on 836 Posts

finally found this how-to.
Bookmarked. Fantastic. Thanks!
Old 04-05-2017, 02:52 PM
tmtraylor
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by swpitman1232
Thank you for your input.
This guy said he does plenty of these rebuilds and argued that the clutch packs were different between sides. I asked why does it only give one part number and says two required, he didn't answer.
He also said I would probably need new bearings. OK by me ,while you're in there.
I used to have a lift and did all my own stuff, but since I moved and only have a garage floor and jack stands, at 66, I don't feel I would be able to pull the differential. He wants $1,600 to do the job, sounds really high to me.
Like I said, he was referred by several people on the forum. He only works on vettes.
The clutch packs are the same on both sides, he is wrong on that point. If your are not comfortable with this shop then it sounds like your other route would be to call RPM or RKT and arrange an exchange (call them either way, discuss your situation and get thier advice). Have a different shop do the labor to swap the differential. Might not be any less money but your confidence has value. Tough spot...
Old 04-05-2017, 08:11 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The clutch packs are the same on both sides, he is wrong on that point. If your are not comfortable with this shop then it sounds like your other route would be to call RPM or RKT and arrange an exchange (call them either way, discuss your situation and get thier advice). Have a different shop do the labor to swap the differential. Might not be any less money but your confidence has value. Tough spot...
I did the entire clutch swap and differential up-grade on stands in my garage. If you cant,, I highly recommend RKT (Rick Kim) The man does amazing work. Atleast, give him a call and see what he has to offer.. TRUST this man 100%!

Unless the bearings are bad (probably NOT), they DO NOT need to be replaced. Infact, adding all the improved parts does NOTHING to disturb the differential set up/alignment. Add the new parts and drive happy..
Old 11-09-2017, 09:06 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

sub'd
Old 03-04-2018, 08:39 PM
thundertruck
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

None of the photos show up in this post. Is this a temporary issue, or they gone forever?
Old 03-13-2018, 11:07 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

This thread is just another victim of Photobucket.

Last edited by GCG; 03-13-2018 at 11:10 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear-gear Swap/Differential Rebuild How-To

Old 03-13-2018, 02:12 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 981 Likes on 624 Posts

If you use the Firefox browser there is a extension that solves this problem. Go to Tools-extensions search for Photobucket Hotlink Fix
thundertruck (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 01:24 PM
thundertruck
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is that extension safe to use? Recent reviews are not too favorable.

14 reviews for this add-on

This extension secretly adds the author's affiliate link to all Amazon URLs. They did the same thing with the Chrome version of this extension (until they were called out) and likely with the Opera version as well.
Rated 1 out of 5
by Anonymous user 9c1201, 4 days ago

Doesn't work anymore. Guess they beat the script again. 3/10/18
Rated 1 out of 5
by Anonymous user 3557d5, 7 days ago

I'm not a computer genius by any stretch of the imagination, so if I am misunderstanding the ratings, please enlighten me. Looks like photobucket is waging war with it's users, and we are collateral damage.
Old 10-26-2019, 12:55 PM
Timu33
5th Gear

This is awesome I just wish photobucket didn’t block the images.

Quick Reply: Rear-gear Swap/Differential Rebuild How-To