C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a GOOD alternative to Headlight insulators/tab stops/bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 03:49 PM
red-in-la
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Did you use the solid brass gear or the one with the rubber insert?
Peter
The bronze gear had the rubber insulator. Certainly makes a racket compared to the passenger side. Wondering if I could get more grease in there. Problem is, the housing is all nice and sealed now. Maybe drill a small hole and insert some kind of syringe (?) with grease?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...e-47-99-a.html

Used that kit.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:19 PM
ryrob
Instructor

Did you use the solid brass gear or the one with the rubber insert?

Peter
I used the solid gears from Brent Franker, no rubber insert...they are actually hardened aluminum now (price of brass went up). Both headlights have the new gears installed.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:44 AM
red-in-la
Instructor

Originally Posted by ryrob
I used the solid gears from Brent Franker, no rubber insert...they are actually hardened aluminum now (price of brass went up). Both headlights have the new gears installed.
Are they noisey?
Old 02-05-2012, 01:15 PM
ryrob
Instructor

Originally Posted by red-in-la
Are they noisey?

No, not at all. I made sure I greased them up pretty good before sealing up the housing. Everything worked fine.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:32 PM
ryrob
Instructor

So, the same thing happened last night - I flipped the headlight switch and nothing happened. Flipped it a few times and the Driver's Side came up (keep in mind that it used to be the other way around before the new HLCM). Finally after a few more flips both lights popped up.

What's going on here guys??
Old 02-05-2012, 03:24 PM
red-in-la
Instructor

Would I be correct in assuming you have gone back and rechecked all the plugs and connection... As in taking them apart and reseating them?
My car has a couple of wires where the PO tried to open a plug by pulling on the wires with a set of pliers.
Anyway, when the lights haven't come up have you tried wiggling connectors / wires instead of repeatedly flipping the light switch? Just an idea...
Old 02-05-2012, 03:57 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

My feeling on the solid gears is that they jamb pretty hard when they hit the stop since there is no rubber to act as a buffer. I have no idea what to recommend to try and fix it.

My bumpers do look about like yours but they've been on the car much longer. A certain amount of indentation would be normal.

I guess you could look at the old module and see if there is a low ohm resistor used to sense the current. It might be possible to increase the resistance slightly and lower the force.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:02 PM
ryrob
Instructor

My feeling on the solid gears is that they jamb pretty hard when they hit the stop since there is no rubber to act as a buffer. I have no idea what to recommend to try and fix it.

My bumpers do look about like yours but they've been on the car much longer. A certain amount of indentation would be normal.

I guess you could look at the old module and see if there is a low ohm resistor used to sense the current. It might be possible to increase the resistance slightly and lower the force.

Good point about the solid gears Peter, but the thing that makes me doubt them as the culprit is the fact that my problem has been almost completely isolated to one headlight (first the DS, now the PS) and not both. Both headlights have the solid gear.

What are the chances that my headlight switch is bad?
Old 02-06-2012, 12:21 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

I'm quite positive that it's the same control signal for both lights.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:22 AM
ryrob
Instructor

Originally Posted by red-in-la
Would I be correct in assuming you have gone back and rechecked all the plugs and connection... As in taking them apart and reseating them?
My car has a couple of wires where the PO tried to open a plug by pulling on the wires with a set of pliers.
Anyway, when the lights haven't come up have you tried wiggling connectors / wires instead of repeatedly flipping the light switch? Just an idea...
Good idea, I'm going to check the connections tomorrow. The reason I haven't in the past is because I am (or was) 95% sure that the reason the headlights were getting stuck in the down position is because the manual ***** were being overtightened by the headlight motor/hlcm. So it was more a of a mechanical issue than a problem with the wiring. I'm starting to consider every possibility now though because we're running out of options.

The lights are definitely working better with the new HLCM installed, but the random misfires still have me wondering what the real deal is...

Anybody?
Old 02-07-2012, 05:42 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Good idea, I'm going to check the connections tomorrow. The reason I haven't in the past is because I am (or was) 95% sure that the reason the headlights were getting stuck in the down position is because the manual ***** were being overtightened by the headlight motor/hlcm. So it was more a of a mechanical issue than a problem with the wiring. I'm starting to consider every possibility now though because we're running out of options.

The lights are definitely working better with the new HLCM installed, but the random misfires still have me wondering what the real deal is...

Anybody?
How long after you installed the new gears did this problem become noticeable?
Old 02-07-2012, 07:22 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by ICUALL
You can order from Ecklers

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1997-2004.html

Corvette Headlight Stop Bumper, 1997-2004
  • Reproduction Of Original
Simple $2.00 fix.....and I had to find some hard plastic hose. Who knew.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:53 AM
ryrob
Instructor

Originally Posted by Choreo
How long after you installed the new gears did this problem become noticeable?
That's the thing - the problem arose BEFORE the new gear in the DS headlight was installed. The driver's side would get stuck just about every time and I'd have to get out of the car and loosen the manual ****. This was with the factory gear still in place. It eventually stripped and I replaced it with the solid gear to match the passenger side. So the problem has occurred with both types of gears in place. You think they are jamming though?

Originally Posted by runner140*
Simple $2.00 fix.....and I had to find some hard plastic hose. Who knew.
This has already been tried. Eckler's reproduction stops are brittle and it actually split in half after a week of taking the force of the headlight coming down. What type of hard plastic hosing did you use? I haven't found anything (hosing or otherwise) that has held up.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

That's the thing - the problem arose BEFORE the new gear in the DS headlight was installed. The driver's side would get stuck just about every time and I'd have to get out of the car and loosen the manual ****. This was with the factory gear still in place. It eventually stripped and I replaced it with the solid gear to match the passenger side. So the problem has occurred with both types of gears in place. You think they are jamming though?

This has already been tried. Eckler's reproduction stops are brittle and it actually split in half after a week of taking the force of the headlight coming down. What type of hard plastic hosing did you use? I haven't found anything (hosing or otherwise) that has held up.

I was just thinking that the motor itself may be putting out too much power (with any gears) or it is not responding to the "stop" signal quickly enough. I am not sure if the headlight motors work like the window motors? But the window motors shift the motor armature to shut off. If they are similar in design maybe it is just taking too much power to get the armature to shift?
Old 02-07-2012, 11:47 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

The teeth on the plastic gears will get damaged enough to do this. I replaced mine when it was at that stage and a group of about 3 or 4 teeth were pretty badly damaged. They will start to "fold over" and bind in the worm drive gear.

Originally Posted by Choreo
I was just thinking that the motor itself may be putting out too much power (with any gears) or it is not responding to the "stop" signal quickly enough. I am not sure if the headlight motors work like the window motors? But the window motors shift the motor armature to shut off. If they are similar in design maybe it is just taking too much power to get the armature to shift?
The armatures don't shift. The power goes through the control module and it turns the motors on and off.

Got a link to some pics of these window motors with these shifting armatures? I'd like to see how it could shift back if the shifting is what turns the power off. And also how it's held from bouncing back on a bump in the road and moving the window by itself. I always understood the motors were controlled by relays in the door control modules that sometimes fail and need to be replaced but I've never really looked at the window motors very closely.

Peter

Last edited by lionelhutz; 02-07-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:21 AM
ryrob
Instructor

The teeth on the plastic gears will get damaged enough to do this. I replaced mine when it was at that stage and a group of about 3 or 4 teeth were pretty badly damaged. They will start to "fold over" and bind in the worm drive gear.

Peter

The problem with the DS headlight not popping up didn't go away after I installed the new gear and got rid of the plastic one, however.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Did you send them back or tell them? What I did was take a piece of fuel hose and cut it. Then I took a small hose clamp the ones you put say on a fuel line and I cut it. I put that into the fuel hose and inserted that as a stop tab. It hits the rubber part but it's not to soft because the metal piece of the hose clamp is the middle. It doesn't look pretty but it does the job and has been going strong for over a year.

Get notified of new replies

To Need a GOOD alternative to Headlight insulators/tab stops/bumpers

Old 02-08-2012, 12:38 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

The problem with the DS headlight not popping up didn't go away after I installed the new gear and got rid of the plastic one, however.
Well, the plastic gear wearing is a very common cause of the headlight sticking.

Did you possibly damage the motor in some way or assemble it improperly? Is the motor loose on the housing? Was the worm gear damaged?

Try taking the arm off the motor, rotating the motor 1/2 turn and putting the arm back on.

The rotate trick made my motor work for the rest of the summer. My motors have screws so I just bought a $10 Dorman plastic gear and stuck it in. For some reason, it's a little noisier now but the headlight goes up and down fine.

Peter
Old 02-08-2012, 01:04 PM
ryrob
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chicago1
Did you send them back or tell them? What I did was take a piece of fuel hose and cut it. Then I took a small hose clamp the ones you put say on a fuel line and I cut it. I put that into the fuel hose and inserted that as a stop tab. It hits the rubber part but it's not to soft because the metal piece of the hose clamp is the middle. It doesn't look pretty but it does the job and has been going strong for over a year.

The gear replacement was not meant to fix the headlight getting stuck. I replaced the gear because the plastic one had stripped and was making that awful sound that we all know very well.

That's a pretty good idea putting the metal piece inside the rubber fuel hose! I may have to try that down the road. Thanks.

Well, the plastic gear wearing is a very common cause of the headlight sticking.

Did you possibly damage the motor in some way or assemble it improperly? Is the motor loose on the housing? Was the worm gear damaged?

Try taking the arm off the motor, rotating the motor 1/2 turn and putting the arm back on.

The rotate trick made my motor work for the rest of the summer. My motors have screws so I just bought a $10 Dorman plastic gear and stuck it in. For some reason, it's a little noisier now but the headlight goes up and down fine.

Peter
The rotate trick sounds interesting, I understand how it could work. But if the gears are over-rotating or the currrent/force on the motors is too strong, wouldn't the motor just overtighten on the very next cycle of headlights closing?
Old 02-15-2012, 10:12 PM
ryrob
Instructor

Alright fellas, I'm fed up. Turned my lights on to leave work and everything worked fine. Got to the gym and after working out I went to flip the headlights up - nothing (on either side). Had to get out and turn both manual ***** a half turn. And of course, everything opened just fine. I'm at the point of wanting to sell this car due to this headlight issue (no I don't want the fixed headlight option). Here are my only 2 ideas left:

1. Try different gears, other than the hardened aluminum

2. Replace both headlight actuator motors. This would cost me about $460 but if it's a sure fix I'll gladly pay it at this point.

Heavily leaning toward #2, what are anyone's thoughts?

Quick Reply: Need a GOOD alternative to Headlight insulators/tab stops/bumpers