C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cut a hole to bleed the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 01:06 PM
halltim
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cut a hole to bleed the clutch

Has anyone with a C5 done this? I'm having trouble finding more info.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tra...-yourself.html

I've been having battling the "pedal stuck to floor" issues for a while now and i'm tired of pulling the exhaust/cover etc off to bleed the clutch. I purchased a remote bleeder but found out (the hard way) that it can't be installed without the whole shebang removed so it's useless to me unless I get to the point where i'm changing the clutch.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by halltim
Has anyone with a C5 done this? I'm having trouble finding more info.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tra...-yourself.html

I've been having battling the "pedal stuck to floor" issues for a while now and i'm tired of pulling the exhaust/cover etc off to bleed the clutch. I purchased a remote bleeder but found out (the hard way) that it can't be installed without the whole shebang removed so it's useless to me unless I get to the point where i'm changing the clutch.
Why cut a hole to do something that doesn't require it, or a remote bleeder?

Just do this: LINK
Old 01-12-2012, 03:45 PM
halltim
Advanced

Thanks for the response. Unless i'm reading wrong your method is just to remove air. I would like to be able to flush the entire system frequently. So I am still interested in cutting this hole if it's not too bad on a C5.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:53 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for the response. Unless i'm reading wrong your method is just to remove air. I would like to be able to flush the entire system frequently. So I am still interested in cutting this hole if it's not too bad on a C5.
Sounds like a great idea.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:52 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

halltim

I understand your dilemma as I was in the same position before I installed a remote bleeder line and clutch when my transmission took a poop.

Unfortunately, as far as I know the only option other than cutting a hole is to continually do the Ranger method of draining and refilling the reservoir. Or, bite the bullet and do a clutch or transmission job at which time you can install a remote bleeder line.

Cutting a hole might be a reasonable alternative. I know I cut two holes in the back deck of my car so I can easily reach the adjusters on my after market rear shocks. Just keep in mind that cutting a hole is not easily repaired if you decide you don't want it anymore. Even if you do cut a hole you need a blocking plate/plug. The hard part might be figuring out where to cut the hole. If you're lucky someone here has done it and can give you measurements on where to cut. If you do cut a hole start with a small hole to check for placement, then enlarge the hole in the direction you need for maximum function.

Good luck.

Dog
Old 01-12-2012, 05:01 PM
halltim
Advanced

Originally Posted by meldog21
halltim

I understand your dilemma as I was in the same position before I installed a remote bleeder line and clutch when my transmission took a poop.

Unfortunately, as far as I know the only option other than cutting a hole is to continually do the Ranger method of draining and refilling the reservoir. Or, bite the bullet and do a clutch or transmission job at which time you can install a remote bleeder line.

Cutting a hole might be a reasonable alternative. I know I cut two holes in the back deck of my car so I can easily reach the adjusters on my after market rear shocks. Just keep in mind that cutting a hole is not easily repaired if you decide you don't want it anymore. Even if you do cut a hole you need a blocking plate/plug. The hard part might be figuring out where to cut the hole. If you're lucky someone here has done it and can give you measurements on where to cut. If you do cut a hole start with a small hole to check for placement, then enlarge the hole in the direction you need for maximum function.

Good luck.

Dog
Thanks Dog - I don't mind cutting a hole in the car so i'm hoping a C5 owner on here has done it before and would have some general measurements for me to get started as you mentioned.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:04 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

....so i'm hoping a C5 owner on here has done it before and would have some general measurements for me to get started as you mentioned.
I think you are going to be that C5 owner....
Old 01-12-2012, 05:05 PM
halltim
Advanced

Originally Posted by lucky131969
I think you are going to be that C5 owner....
hahah
Old 01-12-2012, 05:08 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

hahah
Seriously. I've been on the forum for 5 years, and have never read about anyone attempting this. So it looks like you might be breaking new ground. Make sure you post pics of the process.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:46 PM
halltim
Advanced

Now that I think about it, I bet no one has done it because all the fluid would make a mess in the tunnel. I'm sure it's flammable as well.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Deviant LS6
Instructor

It's not that bad to bleed the clutch. Get the car up in the air, remove the midpipe and tunnel plate. Bam, bleeder is now accessible.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:56 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Deviant LS6
It's not that bad to bleed the clutch. Get the car up in the air, remove the midpipe and tunnel plate. Bam, bleeder is now accessible.

Deviant LS6, Evidently you dont have long tube headers , in order to accomplish this?
Your profile didn't state whether you had them or not.

Last edited by bumble-z; 01-13-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:47 PM
GOTHAM VETTE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend doing it right and installing a remote bleeder system. It seems you're getting some smart a$$ answers on the question, but I think the right one is to spend the time and $100 to know the job is done properly.

I understand the frustration that goes with trying to bleed the clutch assemble using the factory system, but do it once and get it over with.

The common consensus is that the TPE bleeder is the one to go with.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Trios
Drifting

I think it'd be easier to find someone doing a clutch replacement and have them measure out where the bleeder is while it's easily accessible. Or, perhaps you could head to a local Vette shop and see if they could measure on a car they're working on (probably some $ for their time). Either way, I'd want to know for sure where the bleeder is before I cut a hole in my car, but it doesn't seem like a bad idea so long as said location is easily hidden and you properly block the hole from water & noise infiltration.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:46 AM
GOTHAM VETTE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was under the car last night and glanced up in this area while I have my headers, tourque tube, etc. etc. out.

Another important thing to remember on the Vette, the fuel lines run right by where you would need to drill
Old 01-13-2012, 01:01 PM
halltim
Advanced

Originally Posted by GOTHAM VETTE
Was under the car last night and glanced up in this area while I have my headers, tourque tube, etc. etc. out.

Another important thing to remember on the Vette, the fuel lines run right by where you would need to drill
I've decided against this. The main reason i was thinking of doing this was to easily flush the entire system often, but i didn't think about how much fluid will be dumped on the exhaust etc.

I think i'll focus on finding a way to install my remote bleeder without removing the torque tube... if the bleeder was longer it wouldn't be a problem so i'm on the hunt for a extension of some sorts.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:15 PM
mchicia1
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just do it the right way and remove the TT, if you have the time/tools. Do it right, do it once.

Get notified of new replies

To cut a hole to bleed the clutch

Old 01-13-2012, 01:17 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 259 Posts

You could easily pop a tube over the nozzle and point the output into a bottle or down below. There is not very much fluid in the entire system (that's one of the problems).

You would go down in history if you figure this out. Plus there is a huge aftermarket for trap doors to cover the hole.

Some are born great. Some have greatness thrust upon them.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:35 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mchicia1
Just do it the right way and remove the TT, if you have the time/tools. Do it right, do it once.
The job isn't all that bad; just time consuming...
Old 01-13-2012, 01:58 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

I've decided against this. The main reason i was thinking of doing this was to easily flush the entire system often, but i didn't think about how much fluid will be dumped on the exhaust etc.

I think i'll focus on finding a way to install my remote bleeder without removing the torque tube... if the bleeder was longer it wouldn't be a problem so i'm on the hunt for a extension of some sorts.
If you don't have long tube headers, this job can be done by removing the x/h pipe, tunnel plate & inspection plate.
There are pictured write up's of this proceedure being done.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: cut a hole to bleed the clutch