C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

YouTube (and this Forum) to the rescue

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:39 PM
jwalton
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default YouTube (and this Forum) to the rescue

Just wanted to say thanks to the various posts on here about diagnosing and replacing the oil pressure sensor as well as the author of the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PvlDLcyXX8

Worked like a charm and no intake manifold removal! Toughest part was disengaging the clip from the connector. Who ever knew that wire coat hangers could be so useful.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:22 AM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jwalton
Just wanted to say thanks to the various posts on here about diagnosing and replacing the oil pressure sensor as well as the author of the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PvlDLcyXX8

Worked like a charm and no intake manifold removal! Toughest part was disengaging the clip from the connector. Who ever knew that wire coat hangers could be so useful.
How long did it take?
Old 01-22-2012, 12:45 AM
routeman007
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(BIG SMILE) Congratulation!
Watched the same video.
Took me about 30 minutes.
Now we got more money for extra fuel!
Old 01-28-2012, 03:19 AM
jwalton
Advanced

Originally Posted by BigGun
How long did it take?
Do you want me to include both trips to the store?!

Actual wrenching time would be less than an hour. It took me about 20minutes to work out how to get the connector off the sensor with the magically bent coat hanger. After that, the rest was done in about 20 minutes with a lot of hand wringing and general obsesive compulsiveness.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:06 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

You should have video taped it. I (and many others) would like to see it done on a real car. I would be interested in seeing how you did the removal and install, I don't care about the connector clip, I was able to do that. Getting the socket and sensor in and out of the space was not possible on my previous 01. The clip shown has parts removed that were not discussed.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:19 PM
jwalton
Advanced

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
You should have video taped it. I (and many others) would like to see it done on a real car. I would be interested in seeing how you did the removal and install, I don't care about the connector clip, I was able to do that. Getting the socket and sensor in and out of the space was not possible on my previous 01. The clip shown has parts removed that were not discussed.
Bear with me, this is from memory...

I did a few things to aid access to the sensor that weren't shown in the video. I removed the hood seal from the drivers side and got it out of the way. Under that there is a small black plastic(?) tube that's clipped to the body and I unclipped that and pulled that out of the way as well. Up under that there's an insulated tube roughly 1" in diameter that goes across there and attaches to something with just a press fit. It's a breather hose of some kind so you can just pop it off and pull it up and out of there. There's a connector clipped to it for something else that I removed as well to be able to bend it up and out of the way, jamming it between the intake manifold and the firewall.

Then the connector from the offending oil pressure sensor comes off (eventually, and with some cussing). Then you can drop the socket on there and go to town. It's tight, but as the video says, it will drop right down onto the sensor with very little encouragement.

Putting the new one back in was an excersize of feel with my fingertips in order to get the threads started. Then pretty simple from there. I wish my socket and wobble were of the 3/8" variety instead of the 1/2" because it would have been a little easier, but 1/2" works too.

I can take some pics of the stuff I removed if that'll help.

Good luck!
Old 01-28-2012, 02:27 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Thanks for the info, I don't have to change one right now, but it's good to know that there were other things to do that weren't in the video. I tried it as shown and couldn't get it done. I'll save your instructions in case my 03 goes out on me. Thanks again.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:13 PM
kt thomas
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 oil sending unit replacement

I replaced my 05 c6 oil pressure sending unit...I cut about a 3 inch rectangle size opening under the cowl...it had to be that big in order for the 1 1/16 deep well socket to fit...took me about an hour....just remove windshield wipers and hose and rubber weatherstrip at the base of windshield....you can look at the back of the intake and see the oil sending unit...that will give you an idea of where to cut...I just drilled a big pilot hole then used a sawsall with a short blade...I damn near could cut it with a knife..but the saw was quicker...a Dremel will work to...so will a cutoff wheel...I tried to do it without cutting but I couldn't get the socket and swivel to fit behind the intake plenum...so I just went up top and cut my acess panel....I had to cut a little vertical-wise also in order for the socket to clear..I used a deep well 1 1\16 oil socket...but they had a shorter one that might clear better...but I bought the deep well anyway...my pressure was stuck on 80psi...now everything is normal again...I used long needle nosed pliers to get it started and then put the socket on and just snugged it up pretty good...I did not torque it...just went by feel.....ps.. my original had a little rubber grommet with the connector...I bought a" bwd" from Orielly ...lifetime warranty...it did not come with the little grommet so I just used my old one... But if it ever goes out again, it will be easy access and a free part...so yes you can cut a access panel on a c6.....later

Get notified of new replies

To YouTube (and this Forum) to the rescue

Quick Reply: YouTube (and this Forum) to the rescue