C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Emergency Brake Adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Redneck Slim
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

`The stock brake is weak,especially if adjusted to spec using the factory tool. Adjust so that you have to put some effort into getting the rotor/drum back on. The brake will be as strong as it can be,and drag won't be an issue. This has worked great on my car for years.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:21 PM
'02magredZ51
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeeGee
From the book:

Cycle the park brake lever three times in order to obtain proper park brake cable tension.
Not trying to hijack... sort of the same subject...

Anyone else ever had their parking brake "auto adjust" after they've shut the door? Mine adjusts (little bit of a "pop" after you pull up on the handle the third time) as it it should, but every now and then (usually after a couple stops when running errands) I'll set the brake, get out, close the door and be greeted with a "pop". If I get back in and reset the brake it feels like it auto adjusted. Thankfully the first time this happened was in my driveway (car was running and in neutral) and the car only rolled a foot or two. Since then I've never trusted it...
Old 05-03-2013, 11:15 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by '02magredZ51
Not trying to hijack... sort of the same subject...

Anyone else ever had their parking brake "auto adjust" after they've shut the door? Mine adjusts (little bit of a "pop" after you pull up on the handle the third time) as it it should, but every now and then (usually after a couple stops when running errands) I'll set the brake, get out, close the door and be greeted with a "pop". If I get back in and reset the brake it feels like it auto adjusted. Thankfully the first time this happened was in my driveway (car was running and in neutral) and the car only rolled a foot or two. Since then I've never trusted it...
after looking at the mechanics of it i don't see how it possibly could. that start ratchet really isn't that easy to turn. this system has more in common with bicycle brakes than automotive brakes. it's literally a cable/lever system not all that much different than cable brakes on a mountain bike
Old 05-04-2013, 07:15 PM
'02magredZ51
Advanced

I couldn't see any reason for it either...

It only happens every now and then... just often enough to be really annoying.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:56 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

So this pop causes the e-brake to release a little? Not normal and sounds like you have something that slips in some manner.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:00 AM
'02magredZ51
Advanced

I agree... but I never could find anything wrong. The cables are all normal, the ratchet mechanism looks fine (nothing loose and no abnormal wear). The brake holds great at about 1/2 way up. Eh... what are you gonna' do (other than leaving it in gear when I park)...
Old 05-06-2013, 06:59 AM
whisperinsam33
Racer

Is there any downside to leaving a C5 in gear when parked? I have been doing this for 50+ years with manual transmission vehicles.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:19 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Originally Posted by whisperinsam33
Is there any downside to leaving a C5 in gear when parked? I have been doing this for 50+ years with manual transmission vehicles.
None that I know of. Keep in mind, for a LONG time, GM had the column lock set up so that you had to shift the car into reverse, in order to be able to remove the key....
Old 05-06-2013, 09:40 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Redneck Slim
`The stock brake is weak,especially if adjusted to spec using the factory tool. Adjust so that you have to put some effort into getting the rotor/drum back on. The brake will be as strong as it can be,and drag won't be an issue. This has worked great on my car for years.

This

They all came adjusted like crap from the factory. When I put the rear rotors back on, I adjust out the parking brake until it just starts to give some interference.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:52 PM
'02magredZ51
Advanced

Originally Posted by whisperinsam33
Only if it's running... Kidding.

No downside.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:38 AM
SS2001SS
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Redneck Slim

When I replaced my rear rotors I didn't have the parking shoes tight enough and had to pull it back apart. I adjusted them until I could barely get the rotors on by hand. It will now hold the car on an incline.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:25 AM
trespasser8
Intermediate

Originally Posted by racebum
it's easy, all you do is grab a pair of pliers and turn this star ratchet gizmo. you'll know you're going the right way when it raises up

Thanks for the photo. It told me everything I needed to know to adjust the e-brake properly. It's no problem once the rotor is off!!
Old 08-12-2013, 12:31 AM
tycksena
Instructor

Hey I'm new to this whole DIY thing but I need to do this e-brake adjustment, it takes me at least 3 times to get the e-brake to "catch" when I park. I have never messed with brakes but this is going to be my project this week.

With that said, how do you know how far to adjust the star wheel? I read you guys saying until its hard to put the rotor back on but am still a little confused. A little more explanation would be great. Thanks!
Old 08-12-2013, 12:20 PM
trespasser8
Intermediate

Default star wheel

Originally Posted by tycksena
Hey I'm new to this whole DIY thing but I need to do this e-brake adjustment, it takes me at least 3 times to get the e-brake to "catch" when I park. I have never messed with brakes but this is going to be my project this week.

With that said, how do you know how far to adjust the star wheel? I read you guys saying until its hard to put the rotor back on but am still a little confused. A little more explanation would be great. Thanks!
Just did mine. Turn the star in or towards the vehicle. You will see more thread on the adjusting screw and the brake shoes should move slightly out. If the rotor wants to go back on to hard back off on the adjusters. Don't force it. If the rotor is to tight the ebrake can drag and the whole ebrake assembly could pop out when you re remove the rotor. Make sure the wheel turns before you reassemble everything. As far as the cable adjustment I guess the pulling up 3 times thing works? I do know after adjusting the star wheel my ebrake holds at a 45 degree angle. Have fun!
Old 08-12-2013, 02:02 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine was horrible and I have been lightly pulling mine 2-3 times every time and it holds fine now. I am too lazy right now to pull the rear rotors so it is working for me. You also might try backing up and pulling on it slightly several times. That has adjusted it on other cars in the past.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:58 PM
tycksena
Instructor

i just did this adjustment, pretty straight forward. The biggest surprise was the inner inside ring of my rotors where the drum presses against the rotor was two different sized 7.4375" and 7.5" so I had to set both star wheels at completely different settings. The only downside I see is one side might work harder than the other but it is what it is.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:27 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by SKMCOBRA
Mine was horrible and I have been lightly pulling mine 2-3 times every time and it holds fine now. I am too lazy right now to pull the rear rotors so it is working for me. You also might try backing up and pulling on it slightly several times. That has adjusted it on other cars in the past.
Won't do anything but waste your time.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Emergency Brake Adjustments

Old 08-26-2013, 09:07 AM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Won't do anything but waste your time.
no way no how will pulling up on the handle a few times OR backing up will not adjust the parking brake. not happening. sorry guys. i was looking around to see if anybody made upgraded shoes and found this thread. the mechanics of this system has no self adjusting features at all.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:05 AM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by erikszr1
no way no how will pulling up on the handle a few times OR backing up will not adjust the parking brake. not happening. sorry guys. i was looking around to see if anybody made upgraded shoes and found this thread. the mechanics of this system has no self adjusting features at all.
I can tell you that mine wouldn't hold at all and after doing the brake handle pump 2-3 times every time I use it, it will hold the car. Not the best solution but it does work until I have time to get the rear discs off.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:25 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Pumping won't adjust the brakes, but it will take slack out of the cable making them hold tighter.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 08-26-2013 at 11:31 AM.

Quick Reply: C5 Emergency Brake Adjustments