C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

life expectancy of F45

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 12:08 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default life expectancy of F45

How long are F45 shocks expected to last? I bought my C5 with 70k on it. Given the price I think its very unlikely that the previous owner ever changed them. I have 122k now. The struts make noise. From what I've read this is not uncommon when they get old. I have no DIC error messages about the struts being inoperative. And I've never been able to feel even the slightest difference in ride among the 3 settings. I know conventional struts are not meant to last nearly this long anyway. I think I'm going to talk myself into ditching them just using the noise as an excuse. Good move? Or are the F45 struts usually considered to be "good" until the DIC says they aren't?
Old 02-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

One of my shocks is leaking, and I have an 01 with 33k miles. I am ripping the hole system out and putting in C6Z shocks and sways

F45= Junk in my book, just my.02
Old 02-01-2012, 01:52 PM
0Tampa Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Mine are 12 years old and 31000 miles, but still work fine. No issues
Old 02-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

LMAO! I HATE the F-45 Real Time Dampening system more than you can ever imagine My wife never thought it ever worked! I cound slightly feel a difference in the different settings but it was nothing to write home about.

It was the absolute WORST RPO and a WASTE of $$$ that I have ever had on a car! I had it on my 98 Coupe and hated every minute of it. Its based on a BASE FE1 SUSPENSION so,, there no zip in that DOG!

I never had the spare cash at the time I owned the 98 Coupe to invest in getting rid of it. I ordered and picked up an 02 ZO6 in late 02 and had a WOW moment. It made the 98 even worse to drive because I saw how much better it could have been. I sold the 98 and after 40K miles of ZO6 driving and learning the limits of that car, I found that the stock shocks were at their limits.

I up-graded to C6 ZO6 shocks and had another WOW Moment. The 02 Z handles a LOT better with the new C6 ZO6 shocks. NO MORE bouncing side ways around sweeping high speed turns what had slight wash board surfaces!!!:rock :

Long Story made short; find some new or used Z-51 or C5 ZO6 suspension up grade parts:

Springs (front and rear)
Sway bars
End links
C6 ZO6 shocks

You can also find a used C6 tunnel plate for very little cash and up-grade that also. Its a lot better than the stock C5 same part!!

I’m POSITIVE that you will have a WOW moment also!

You can either install SIMs in the connectors for the electronically controlled shocks or better yet, have someone with a GM TECH 2 program the RPO Code out of the BCM. It will be GONE electronically and you can remove all the extra weight if you desire!

There’s another route you can take. Gene Culley has a C6 Z-51 package that will fit like a glove and the price new isn’t that bad. www.gmpartshouse.com

Give Gene or Patrick a call and see what they have to offer!!!

You will need a crow bar to break the grin off your face after you up grade!

Bill
Old 02-01-2012, 02:42 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

A total waste of space

If I still lived in the US I'd have replaced them years ago.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Heres a post that will help you get rid if that system!!

- C5, Disable the F45 option using Tech2,, by VODA1, http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ing-tech2.html
Old 02-01-2012, 06:18 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
LMAO! I HATE the F-45 Real Time Dampening system more than you can ever imagine My wife never thought it ever worked! I cound slightly feel a difference in the different settings but it was nothing to write home about.

It was the absolute WORST RPO and a WASTE of $$$ that I have ever had on a car! I had it on my 98 Coupe and hated every minute of it. Its based on a BASE FE1 SUSPENSION so,, there no zip in that DOG!

I never had the spare cash at the time I owned the 98 Coupe to invest in getting rid of it. I ordered and picked up an 02 ZO6 in late 02 and had a WOW moment. It made the 98 even worse to drive because I saw how much better it could have been. I sold the 98 and after 40K miles of ZO6 driving and learning the limits of that car, I found that the stock shocks were at their limits.

I up-graded to C6 ZO6 shocks and had another WOW Moment. The 02 Z handles a LOT better with the new C6 ZO6 shocks. NO MORE bouncing side ways around sweeping high speed turns what had slight wash board surfaces!!!:rock :

Long Story made short; find some new or used Z-51 or C5 ZO6 suspension up grade parts:

Springs (front and rear)
Sway bars
End links
C6 ZO6 shocks

You can also find a used C6 tunnel plate for very little cash and up-grade that also. Its a lot better than the stock C5 same part!!

You can either install SIMs in the connectors for the electronically controlled shocks or better yet, have someone with a GM TECH 2 program the RPO Code out of the BCM. It will be GONE electronically and you can remove all the extra weight if you desire!

There’s another route you can take. Gene Culley has a C6 Z-51 package that will fit like a glove and the price new isn’t that bad. www.gmpartshouse.com

Bill
Let me add...lower the car while you are at it too...huge effect on handling, in a good way!
Old 02-01-2012, 08:08 PM
japc5
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee

Springs (front and rear)
Sway bars
End links
C6 ZO6 shocks

Bill

Everything he said and then some. I had my 98 for 4 years with the F45, suck suck suck. Did the full C6 upgrade, sways, shocks at 68k. The F45 were still functional with no leaks. They are sitting in a box in my attic, I didn't have the heart to place them at the curb.

Get notified of new replies

To life expectancy of F45

Quick Reply: life expectancy of F45