C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making my own exhaust, do I need backpressure?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 03:44 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Making my own exhaust, do I need backpressure?

I've made a few custom exhaust systems for motorcycles, but never for a car. I'm kicking around the idea of making my own system for my C5 when I take out the cats. The car is track only, so I'm not concerned about inspection. Right now the exhaust is stock. Do I need to do anything special to create backpressure? I know on motorcycles this is an issue. At this point I'm 100% ignorant when it comes to cars.

Last edited by moespeeds; 03-20-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:05 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Nope

the pipe itself is enough
Old 03-20-2012, 05:07 PM
Lothar34
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have yet to hear any reasonable explanation why you would want resistance on the exhaust stroke.

If there was a benefit to backpressure, why don't these people work it in?:
Old 03-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

To gain the most benefit, you may need to do a tune. People usually get a tune when they install headers.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:18 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar34
If there was a benefit to backpressure, why don't these people work it in?:
Probably because they don't use those to get groceries.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:22 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

And they're operating at peak rpm for only 1000-1320 ft at a time...
Old 03-20-2012, 05:38 PM
R CRYSIS
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Supercharged cars don't need back pressure like a N.A. car. That's why dragsters run Zoomy headers. I have found that a little back pressure in a well made exhaust actually helps in throttle response and low end torque. If you look at a sprint cup car you will see that they run an exhaust system through an X pipe and out the side but with no mufflers. I race motorcycles also and I have seen just what you are talking about when guys take off there muffler and the bike falls on it's face. It is also a 4 cycle engine. IMHO I think if you ran pipes out the back of the car even with no muffler it would be enough. That's pretty much what some of the systems out there already are
Old 03-20-2012, 06:06 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Yeah what I was planning was to eliminate cat, then make an x pipe, and delete the mufflers off the stock pipe. What's with the split to 4 tips is it Just for show? Can I run two tips?
Old 03-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Bakerking31
Racer

Originally Posted by moespeeds
Yeah what I was planning was to eliminate cat, then make an x pipe, and delete the mufflers off the stock pipe. What's with the split to 4 tips is it Just for show? Can I run two tips?
4 tips is just for show, you can do 2 and it will just look different.

That setup will have plenty of back pressure so its not a worry, as long as you have an X or H pipe you will be fine.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Lothar34
Drifting

Originally Posted by wcsinx
Probably because they don't use those to get groceries.
No, but that doesn't really answer the question either.

For whichever piston is on the exhaust stroke, there is another somewhere else on the power stroke. It's already overcoming the resistance of the friction, the drivetrain, and maybe intake vacuum. Why would adding resistance via exhaust pressure help the engine?
Old 03-20-2012, 07:02 PM
R CRYSIS
Instructor

I have had this explained to me before by a friend of mine who builds some of the fastest motors around for pro stock(I actually met Warren Johnson in his shop!!!) but I am not going to pretend to be an expert. It has something to do with the scavenging effect that the cylinders have one each other if the exhaust is done properly with an X pipe and the velocity it has coming out of the port. I have heard about a test where Flowmaster actually got more horsepower and torque with there exhaust with an X pipe out of a big block chevy in a Chevelle than they could get with open headers. I think it also is different depending on the engine and the application.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Lothar34
Drifting

Yeah scavenging is great, but that's a way to take advantage of the resistance in long pipes. If you don't have the resistance though...
Old 03-20-2012, 07:30 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

When I ditch the cats will I need O2 sims?

I'm no expert but I know from direct experience on motorcycles that if you don't run some kind of back pressure on short pipes you noticeably lose low end and it's a raging bitch to tune. That's also on a carburated engine using 1930's farm tractor technology...
Old 03-20-2012, 07:38 PM
Lothar34
Drifting

When I ditch the cats will I need O2 sims?
If you're just racing then you don't need sims, but the CEL will keep coming on.

If you're going to tune it then you can set the rear O2s to report ready all the time and not have to deal with the CEL.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:42 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

No, but that doesn't really answer the question either.
I'll spell it out for you.

Streetability

Yes, you will get more peak power, but the engine's low and mid range characteristics will suffer in every way.

Yeah scavenging is great, but that's a way to take advantage of the resistance in long pipes. If you don't have the resistance though...
Then by all means cut the exhaust system off your C5 and see how that works out for you.

Last edited by wcsinx; 03-20-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:46 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Can I just cut open those mufflers and gut them, or should I cut them out and run them straight? Gutting them would save me the time of welding on new tips and lining it all up.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:56 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Can I just cut open those mufflers and gut them, or should I cut them out and run them straight? Gutting them would save me the time of welding on new tips and lining it all up.
Gutted mufflers sound like azz IMHO. I would just run straights. Just be sure you get a proper x-pipe if you do because you'll sound like a motorboat at idle otherwise.

Get notified of new replies

To Making my own exhaust, do I need backpressure?

Old 03-20-2012, 11:15 PM
Lothar34
Drifting

Then by all means cut the exhaust system off your C5 and see how that works out for you.
It would sound like ***, and since it's a passenger car the exhaust needs to exit behind the cabin.

Still if I was doing a complete custom exhaust, I wouldn't try to work extra backpressure into my design.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:46 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Yes, you will get more peak power, but the engine's low and mid range characteristics will suffer in every way.
Exactly. This is why you should NOT have 4 inch diameter pipes unless your engine output is high enough.

I recall many years ago, Lingenfelter found that combined with a twin turbo monster engine, a set of Borla Stingers (cat-back) gained him a significant amount of horsepower over combining the same engine with stock exhaust. I believe the Borla gain was something like 100 HP.
Of course, if you simply throw on a set of Stingers with a stock engine, your gain will be minimal because a stock engine can't fully take advantage of a more open exhaust. A less -restrictive intake will benefit slightly.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:52 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Geeze;

Backpressure - dumb and useless explanation perpetuated by word of mouth and the internet.

Flow Velocity - what you really want, especially close to the heads.

Flow velocity is what's set up in headers to cause scavanging as already mentioned. It just happens that you will get some resistance to flow due to having a certain pipe diameter and flow rate. Ideally, you don't want it.

You NEVER want to intentionally restrict the exhaust on your car.

I'm no expert but I know from direct experience on motorcycles that if you don't run some kind of back pressure on short pipes you noticeably lose low end and it's a raging bitch to tune. That's also on a carburated engine using 1930's farm tractor technology...
Relatively large diameter and short pipes = poor flow velocity

Quick Reply: Making my own exhaust, do I need backpressure?