C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Anniversary Edition - Color matching Interior parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:05 PM
2000Spirit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 03 Anniversary Edition - Color matching Interior parts

I recently aquired an 03 A/E, there were a couple of plastic parts that needed replacement. As we all know the interior colors in the 03 A/E were a 1 year only production so finding these parts are nearly impossible.

Basically, the only way around the problem is to buy a new part (in black plastic) and color match it with the 03's interior. Another option is to get a salvage yard part but you might find it is very brittle and might not last. Trust me when I say you don't want to have to remove something like the Dash Pad twice!

Back to the matching process. Here's how to do it.
First it's important to realize that all plastic dyed, painted or molded will change color over the years so rather than match the broken part it's better to match with whatever the part fits into or butts up against.

Example, my HUD bezel was cracked, I color matched with the Dash pad. An interesting note, the inside of the bezel was very close to the dash color but the top side was darker.

The process is very simple once you have the paint.
1. Clean the new part to be painted, this consists of washing the item in Dawn 2 times and then letting the part air dry. Note: If you are using a salvage yard part wash with dawn, wipe down with alcohol and wash again with dawn and air dry. If the part has anything like armorall on it the paint will not flow or stick properly.

2. Using an adhesion promoter (such as SEM 38363 or 39863) apply a single medium wet coat. This coat should even and cover all area's to be painted.

3. While the adhesion promoter is still wet apply a light coat of SEM Color coat or the custom mix paint to the part. Let this dry until it begins to dull out then apply an additional finish coat. Do this in good lighting to make sure you have an even finish.

4. Let the part fully dry in a well ventilated area but not in the sun.
Wait at least 24 hours before attempting to mount the part. Keep in mind plastic parts vent for a number of days before fully curing.

Results, take a look at this picture, the new painted part that was originally black is now color matched with the dash pad. The part on the right is the old bezel (notice the glued crack on the lower left). You can see the new part matches the dash pad very well next to the old part.

What products to use:
SEM make a number of very good interior products, you will need the adhesion promoter (SEM 38363 or 39863 either will work). The promoter actually melts the plastic to improve the bonding of the paint to a plastic surface.

SEM Color Match 15883 Medium Neutral is almost a dead match to the 03 Anniversary editions interior color. If anything it is just a slight shade lighter but will provide excellent results.

I opted to have the Napa paint center mix up a custom match for my dash pad. It is basically the same makeup as the SEM color match but the color is a little deeper and looks nicer. The down side to this paint is that you must use it within 30 days or it dries in the can.
Here's the formula:

Those replacing HUD bezels, a quick tip that will prevent you from breaking your defroster vent. Do not pry it up using a screw driver from the top like many suggest. Instead when you dissassemble the dash, remove the cluster, you will then be able to pop out the vent from the bottom using your fingers and it won't shatter! The left side of it is reachable from the bottom.

Getting a part for a C5 is getting difficult enough, but when you have a one year car like the 03 A/E you have got to improvise!

Regards!
Dan
Old 03-28-2012, 08:01 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

They do mix CUSTOM colors-what's the big deal?
Old 03-28-2012, 08:16 PM
2000Spirit
Racer

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
They do mix CUSTOM colors-what's the big deal?
No big deal, just some direction for those who are not all knowledgeable or don't know what to do when they can't get the correct color part or need to know the mix to ask for.
Gheezzz, so much for trying to be helpful.

Last edited by 2000Spirit; 03-29-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:20 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

If it helps any, the 04 Commemorative Edition interior is the same.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:04 AM
2000Spirit
Racer

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Thank you for that information, thats helps!
Old 03-29-2012, 10:32 AM
mnotx
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000Spirit
No big deal, just some direction for those who are not all knowledgeable or don't know what to do when they can't get the correct color part or need to know the mix to ask for.
Gheezzz, so much for trying to be helpful.
I own an AE. I appreciate your post very much. I save these type posts for future reference. Thank you!
Old 03-31-2012, 04:15 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Similiar, but not identical.

Source: Corvette Black Book
Old 03-31-2012, 08:33 PM
2000Spirit
Racer

Originally Posted by 6GenVettes
Similiar, but not identical.

Source: Corvette Black Book
Can you elaborate as to the differences?
Old 03-31-2012, 08:59 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Can you elaborate as to the differences?
Sorry but the source did not elaborate.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:26 PM
2000Spirit
Racer

Wonder were the "source" got their info, check this out.

http://www.vettefacts.com/C5/2004.aspx

It does mention the 04 Commerative edition with the Z15 or Z16 option having a shale interior as the 03 A/E edition does. The shale vert color code is also the same rpo code as the 03 A/E vert.

If there is a difference I wonder what it would be?
Old 03-31-2012, 10:52 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Wonder were the "source" got their info, check this out.

http://www.vettefacts.com/C5/2004.aspx

It does mention the 04 Commerative edition with the Z15 or Z16 option having a shale interior as the 03 A/E edition does. The shale vert color code is also the same rpo code as the 03 A/E vert.

If there is a difference I wonder what it would be?
It's the same colors, it's parts left over from 03 and they extended the colors for the Commemorative. The shale interior helps both models look fantastic in my opinion.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:22 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Except to add under "colors" that 03 Shale interior code = 154
04 Shale interior code = 152

whereas blk interior code for 04 Z06 CE & 03 Z06 is the same (194)
Old 04-01-2012, 12:35 AM
Marine One
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran into this difficulty in trying to find sun visor clips for my 03 Anniversary car. I had no problem finding them in black, but none were to be had anywhere in neutral. I ended up just buying and installing some black ones. I only needed to replace one but bought two so that they'd at least both be the same color.

Get notified of new replies

To 03 Anniversary Edition - Color matching Interior parts

Quick Reply: 03 Anniversary Edition - Color matching Interior parts