C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A mouse in my heater box!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 11:43 PM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Thanks to all for the info. I pulled my blower motor out a few days ago and I'm still trying to get it cleaned up and get rid of the smell.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:26 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

How is the fan/blower motor removed? I don't have mice problems, my fan is just loud. Especially on high. On low it's no big deal. Have always thought maybe there is something in there or there is a problem with the fan.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:34 PM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 286 Posts

You guys are too much - were xrays taken of the deceased mouse to determine the angular acceleration which caused blunt force trauma?

Another trick I recall from college days (don't ask!) are those little "cakes" they throw in the bottom of the urinals - like Dan Akroyd about the marine glue - "strong stuff"!
Old 07-14-2015, 10:53 PM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN
How is the fan/blower motor removed? I don't have mice problems, my fan is just loud. Especially on high. On low it's no big deal. Have always thought maybe there is something in there or there is a problem with the fan.
It's under the panel that's below the glove box(the one with the light) unplug and remove the 3-T15 mounting screws.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:52 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

It looks like this and you have to do the LIMBO to get under the dash to access the screws. If your good with a Mirror and flash light, it may save your back.

It goes here with three screws. You can also see the motor controller mounted on te bottom of the box:

DAMN MICE!

No X Rays but,, the front feet extruded from the rotor tells the story. It was NOT happy!!!

WEEEEEEEEEE! The carnival ride from HELL!

Old 07-15-2015, 03:17 AM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So not too bad. Pull the passenger seat and lay down!!! The fan sounds like it's out of balance. So it gets louder the higher the setting.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:17 AM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN
So not too bad. Pull the passenger seat and lay down!!! The fan sounds like it's out of balance. So it gets louder the higher the setting.
Flashlight and mirror workd for me.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:05 PM
0aFe POWER
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Did it look like this????????????????

See,, the difference between you and me is,, I got the bastard! He didn't too much like the fan on full speed!!! LMAO His little legs stuck out and got hammered!!

This is what came out of the air box after the fan was fully removed and I reached in and pulled it out! You can see the hose that I adapted to my wet and dry VAC:

CALL ME (PM SENT) Had this problem and over came the smell... You most likely only solved HALF the issue. The OTHER HALF of the nest is most likely still inside the air box.. Remove the fan AGAIN. Reach up inside the the air box. When you reach in, you will dead end into the evaporator.. Run your hand straight down and feel for TRASH, TURDS, Nuts, and once ALL the trash is out, use a wet and dry VAC with a piece of rubber 1" hose adapted to fit on to the VAC hose. Go in and suck out all the remaining stuff. When you THINK THAT YOUR DONE,, look in with a light and mirror and make sure. Protect the seats and carpet and dump in some diluted bleach and water. (it does NOT take much bleach) See if the water runs out of the AIR BOX DRAIN on the passenger side of the fire wall in the engine compartment. If it doesn't run out,, you have trash and turds in the drain and you will need to get that unplugged! Once everything is 100% clean, inside remove the wiper cowl cover and make sure all that is clean!

Under the COWL was more crap!

Make sure that you clean out all the cowl water drains!!! They can stink too if that have trash in them also!

MOUSE DEFENSE!!!

RICBEAR "Go get Ozium. Turn on the blower on lo. Locate the intake vent outside. Unload the can or cans. Ozium is a bacterial eliminator.

Before putting the blower back in take some stiff wire and carefully fish in the ducts for the body. Had to do that with the truck for one.. "

Yep, Great stuff and it smells GOOD!

PM SENT

BC
Sad day for that mouse
Old 07-18-2015, 10:54 AM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

I found two possible entry points,the cowl drains and the opening at the pass wiper spindle. Anyone know of any other possible openings?
Old 07-18-2015, 12:36 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by old stingray
I found two possible entry points,the cowl drains and the opening at the pass wiper spindle. Anyone know of any other possible openings?
The COWL WELL has numerous mouse entry points. The only way INSIDE the car is the opening where the HVAC Air box gets its outside air.

The LEFT and RIGHT sides where the cowl cover closes off the well, theres an unsealed area.

All of the cowl drains have NIPPLES on them that are closed together when they are not draining:

HVAC AIR BOX drain nipple:

Mouse eye view of the NESTING AREA!

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 07-18-2015 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:25 PM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

Bill,thanks for the the info and fast response,you're the man.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:34 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Good grief what a mess. I feel for you and if it makes you feel any better your pain has perhaps helped us all.

Glad you found a solution.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:36 PM
clockman
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clockman

Originally Posted by SCOTTVETTE1989
A mouse in my heater box!!!

I just pulled my 01 Z06 out of the garage after a long winter. It stinks!!
I pulled out the blower motor and there was a nest. I cleaned the blower motor area but it still smells bad. I tried spraying deodorizer,no help. Can anyone give me instructions on how to pull the heater box out from the dash. Thanks Scott
Scott, Had the same problem 98 C5 ---almost drove me to pouring gas on the car and lighting on fire. Found the problem. There are three[3] utters on the bottom of the air box under the wipers. The front 2 are easy,but the rear is impossible to reach. Remove the 2 10mm nuts off the windshield washer tank and lift it off and toward the engine to get it out of the way. Be careful that you don't detach the washer pump line or the fluid will drain out at your feet[voice of experience] I'll bet you'll find the utters stopped up with the stinkiest funk you ever smelled. Mine smelled like dead mouse to high heaven. I hope this will help you too.
Jim C
Old 08-17-2015, 09:53 PM
clockman
Cruising

Default clockman

Luckly the interior doesn't smell. UNTILL you turn on the heat! thats why I want to pull it apart. I just haven't had a dash out of a c5 yet. Just looking for some tips.
Go under the drivers side under the hood,reach under and feel for the utters where the water and debre drains out. you'll probably find they are stopped up with funky smelling mould,organic crap that smells like a dead mouse. Pull them out and clean them with Clorox or Pinesol etc. There are 3 on the C5. The one toward the back is difficult to put back if you pull it out. The utters just snap out of the holes in the bottom of the vent/air exchange. Remove the windshield washer tank ,being careful not to pull the washer plastic line out .Set up,and toward the engine to gain access to the rear utter. I'll bet that's the problem. Good luck. Glad I wasn't the only one with the "dead mouse" syndrome.
jim
Old 08-17-2015, 10:21 PM
clockman
Cruising

Default clockman

Thanks guys for all the help. I have had the blower out and cleaned everyware i could reach,standing on my head. Removed the cowl screen and nothing was found,still stinks. I will be disassembling more this weekend.
Go to the utters as seen in the above post. With the fender off the utters are easy to see. Of course you want to pull them down, clean them and put them back. Remove the windshield washer fluid tank, being careful not to pull the sensor on the side or the small plastic pump line out of the bottom. I lifted the tank up and toward the engine to allow me to reach the rear utter. Mine were filled with funky,dead mouse smelling crap that filled the vents every time I got in the car.
All is good now
Old 08-17-2015, 10:31 PM
clockman
Cruising

Default clockman

The COWL WELL has numerous mouse entry points. The only way INSIDE the car is the opening where the HVAC Air box gets its outside air.

The LEFT and RIGHT sides where the cowl cover closes off the well, theres an unsealed area.

All of the cowl drains have NIPPLES on them that are closed together when they are not draining:

If you are still getting odor, there is a third utter at the back of the cowl box. Remove the washer fluid tank to give yourself access to the back on. Mine was full of the worst smelling funk I have ever smelled.
jim
Old 08-17-2015, 10:39 PM
clockman
Cruising

Default clockman

If you are still getting odor, there is a third utter at the back of the cowl box. Remove the washer fluid tank to give yourself access to the back on. Mine was full of the worst smelling funk I have ever smelled.
jim

Get notified of new replies

To A mouse in my heater box!!!

Old 08-17-2015, 10:42 PM
clockman
Cruising

Default clockman

Thanks to all for the info. I pulled my blower motor out a few days ago and I'm still trying to get it cleaned up and get rid of the smell.
Read down to the info on the cowl drains[utters]. They get stopped up and smell like funk!!
jim
Old 08-18-2015, 12:54 PM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

I got everything cleaned up and added a few drops of peppermint oil in the duct work,fan and heater box, it is supposed to be a mouse deterrent plus it makes the car smell great. All is good for now.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:05 PM
clockman
Cruising

Default clockman

I got everything cleaned up and added a few drops of peppermint oil in the duct work,fan and heater box, it is supposed to be a mouse deterrent plus it makes the car smell great. All is good for now.
Was there any gunk and stinky in the utters?

Quick Reply: A mouse in my heater box!!!