C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A mouse in my heater box!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 01:03 AM
John Holmes
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by old stingray
I got everything cleaned up and added a few drops of peppermint oil in the duct work,fan and heater box, it is supposed to be a mouse deterrent plus it makes the car smell great. All is good for now.
12 gauge double barrel, like Joe the dumbass Biden suggests, just open the door and fire two blasts from that shotgun and it'll scare everything away. You can go back inside and get plastered with no worries.
Trust me, this works.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:12 PM
volare71
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It happened to me too. If you can believe, in the middle of August in Central Arizona. My C5 was parked in the carport for two weeks and the second time I drove it the fan made a racket but fortunately no smell. Under the plastic valve overlays I could see mouse nesting materials.
Though this forum, I love it, I was able to find the blower behind the glove box and remove the plastic undercover and the computer carpeted cover.

I used a rather large mirror to expose the fan and with a 5mm. (not 6mm. previously described) I removed the three fan securing sheet metal screws. The fan was a tight fit but with al little coaxing I dropped the fan basket and there he or she was. A large dead mouse in the basket. I cleaned the basket and the ducts as best I could with Pinesol and replaced the fan. The plastic undercover is held by two large gray plastic trim fasteners in front, a protruding bolt in the rear and a large tab behind the carpeted box cover on the center console side.

The direct view with the mirror was very helpful and everything straight forward.

My garage is strewn with Victor traps baited with peanut butter. this is my best bait.

Diligence my Brothers. The cucarachas y ratones are out to get us!
Old 07-07-2018, 06:20 PM
dtnaylor
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Did it look like this????????????????

See,, the difference between you and me is,, I got the bastard! He didn't too much like the fan on full speed!!! LMAO His little legs stuck out and got hammered!!

This is what came out of the air box after the fan was fully removed and I reached in and pulled it out! You can see the hose that I adapted to my wet and dry VAC:

CALL ME (PM SENT) Had this problem and over came the smell... You most likely only solved HALF the issue. The OTHER HALF of the nest is most likely still inside the air box.. Remove the fan AGAIN. Reach up inside the the air box. When you reach in, you will dead end into the evaporator.. Run your hand straight down and feel for TRASH, TURDS, Nuts, and once ALL the trash is out, use a wet and dry VAC with a piece of rubber 1" hose adapted to fit on to the VAC hose. Go in and suck out all the remaining stuff. When you THINK THAT YOUR DONE,, look in with a light and mirror and make sure. Protect the seats and carpet and dump in some diluted bleach and water. (it does NOT take much bleach) See if the water runs out of the AIR BOX DRAIN on the passenger side of the fire wall in the engine compartment. If it doesn't run out,, you have trash and turds in the drain and you will need to get that unplugged! Once everything is 100% clean, inside remove the wiper cowl cover and make sure all that is clean!

Under the COWL was more crap!

Make sure that you clean out all the cowl water drains!!! They can stink too if that have trash in them also!

MOUSE DEFENSE!!!

RICBEAR "Go get Ozium. Turn on the blower on lo. Locate the intake vent outside. Unload the can or cans. Ozium is a bacterial eliminator.

Before putting the blower back in take some stiff wire and carefully fish in the ducts for the body. Had to do that with the truck for one.. "

Yep, Great stuff and it smells GOOD!

PM SENT

BC
Hi, I'm new to Corvette Forum and I saw you tip about cleaning out under the Cowl. Thanks for posting, taking that thing off, shop vacing the crap out of the HVAC intake, then blasting it with Ozium working perfectly. Thanks again.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:46 PM
grassblaster
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Where do I stop these mice from entering my car?
they seem to have easy acess to the blower area.
Can I screen off the intake on the HVAC ? I think I saw it was behind the wiper plate?

Quick Reply: A mouse in my heater box!!!