C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 power steering leak. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 09:33 PM
NEB1
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C5 power steering leak. Please help

I noticed I have a significant power steering fluid leak (drivers side)
Does anyone know of a product or rebuild kit to fix the leak? Had a friend who is a mechanic look at it and he says its fixable if I can find a new gasket or rebuild kit. Has a anyone else had this problem and how was it fixed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:53 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Check and make sure it's not the high pressure hose. They are failure prone on these cars.

If it's leaking significantly then you'll have to replace parts.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:58 PM
NEB1
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply. He did mention something ballooning up and said it could burst if we don't fix it soon. Iv heard rebuilding or solving a major issue with the power steering can be costly and/or difficult to find a fix for. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:02 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by NEB1
Thanks for the reply. He did mention something ballooning up and said it could burst if we don't fix it soon. Iv heard rebuilding or solving a major issue with the power steering can be costly and/or difficult to find a fix for. Thanks for the help.
A line isn't very expensive and it's relatively easy to replace. However, how can anyone provide much help when you don't seem to know where the leak is?
Old 04-09-2012, 11:58 AM
NEB1
Intermediate

Sorry about that, the appeared to be where the shaft meets the actual power steering gear on the drivers side. My mechanic said the seal is bad.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:48 PM
nowhereman
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
A line isn't very expensive and it's relatively easy to replace. However, how can anyone provide much help when you don't seem to know where the leak is?
Sorry to bring this thread back - I have searched but didn't find any help on this topic.

Yesterday my '98 sprung a leak in the high pressure line connecting the pump to the rack. Even up on the lift, it is unclear to me what the procedure is to replace this line. This is my first Vette, and I've only owned the car for two days- I haven't had a chance to pick up a service manual yet. Can someone give me a basic rundown? What all has to come out? Thanks in advance...

Doug
Old 06-30-2012, 11:06 PM
Zeus-of-Boost
Burning Brakes

wow what a freaking coinsidence. im about to replace my pressure hose in a couple days and wondering the same thing. Im not sure if its coming from my hose or not but for 15$ it prob wouldnt hurt to swap it out for a new one. BUMP FOR INFO
Old 07-01-2012, 07:48 PM
nowhereman
4th Gear

OK, I got lucky - I was able to loosen both fittings from the top of the car without removing anything. All I did was drain the reservoir first. Jacked the car up to reinstall new hose from the bottom, then tightened from the top. Not a bad job at all.

Still not sure what I would have faced had the fittings not come loose. It would have been much worse, that's for sure...
Old 08-21-2013, 11:50 AM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default C5 power steering leak

Originally Posted by NEB1
I noticed I have a significant power steering fluid leak (drivers side)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
I have had a long time PS leak in my 01 Coupe. The guys a the local shop checked it and were pretty sure the high pressure line was the source of the leak. To make a long story shorter, I had the hose replaced and there was no leaks until the next morning when there was fresh PS fluid on floor near the left front. I returned to the shop and they put it up on the rack and could not find a leak. It was their assessment that "they" overfilled and what I was seeing was coming out of the tank and it has probably found the correct level. The dip stick warns you not to overfill. Something tells me I have been overfilling it for long time.

If yours is leaking double-check the lever and DO NOT overfill.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 power steering leak. Please help

Quick Reply: C5 power steering leak. Please help