C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 01:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

How To Check A4 Transmission Fluid Level

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 08:58 AM
jreedphx
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank You for this posting. I have found it very helpful. The temperature ranges made perfect sense after reading this post for the first time. I had forgotten about Fluid expansion at temperature.

I filled my transmission up and had it perfect at the 104 degree mark.

Thanks again

JR
Old 06-24-2015, 08:52 AM
chuckeb84
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicksilver Vert 01
The question "How do you check the automatic transmission fluid level on a C5" seems to be asked quite often. I've answered specific questions about it many times in the past, so I thought a write-up of the fluid level check procedure might be helpful to new owners of A4 equipped C5's.

Since the transmission on a C5 is located rearward of the engine compartment, a traditional dip stick and fill tube does not exist. This makes checking or adding fluid a bit more difficult, and requires a specific procedure to be followed exactly for accurate fluid level checks.

1. Start the engine and allow the engine to idle until the transmission fluid temperature, as displayed on the DIC, is between 86 degrees F and 122 degrees F. (104 degrees F is EXACTLY in the middle of the recommended temperature range for checking the fluid level.)

2. Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through the gear ranges, pausing a few seconds in each range. Return the shift lever to the PARK position.

3. If necessary, raise the vehicle high enough to gain clearance to the transmission fill plug. The fill plug is located on the LEFT SIDE of the transmission pan. The vehicle must remain in a LEVEL position when raised.

Caution: The engine must be running when the transmission fill plug is removed, or excessive fluid loss will occur. Since the actual fluid level is unknown, stand clear when removing the fill plug. Do not turn the engine off with the fill plug removed, as you can be injured by hot transmission fluid being expelled out of the oil fill opening.

4. If needed, add automatic transmission fluid until the fluid starts to drain from the threaded plug hole. Be sure to replace the fill plug BEFORE turning off the engine.
Thanks
Old 06-24-2015, 06:04 PM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by chuckeb84
Thanks
Originally Posted by jreedphx
Thank You for this posting. I have found it very helpful. The temperature ranges made perfect sense after reading this post for the first time. I had forgotten about Fluid expansion at temperature.

I filled my transmission up and had it perfect at the 104 degree mark.

Thanks again

JR
Glad you found my write-up helpful. Thanks for your replies!

Quick Reply: How To Check A4 Transmission Fluid Level