C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carbon fiber radio antenna

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 09:47 PM
2525ken
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carbon fiber radio antenna

Ok gang I know I am a rookie to these vetts but my radio antenna broke and I was told to put a carbon fiber and it was simple deal. now after 3 hours it is still not in. I have a 01 and this has become a pain in the rear. help. thanks ken
Old 04-17-2012, 07:04 AM
Birdman
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm....confused.

You were told to put on a carbon fiber radio antenna? Why? Didn't know they even made those, nor do I feel that it would be very receptive. An antenna (assuming you broke it on the stalk that sticks out) is a quick and simple thing to swap out..you unscrew one and screw in the other.

Is it power or fixed?

Pics?
Old 04-17-2012, 01:46 PM
2525ken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Birdman
I'm....confused.

You were told to put on a carbon fiber radio antenna? Why? Didn't know they even made those, nor do I feel that it would be very receptive. An antenna (assuming you broke it on the stalk that sticks out) is a quick and simple thing to swap out..you unscrew one and screw in the other.

Is it power or fixed?

Pics?
birdman< I really did not break my atenna. The cord broke on my retractable radio and instead of replacing the motor ( I dont hear a sound when the radio is turned on) I understand that you could just put a stubby on that gave the same reception. After getting into it, it was obvious that we need some mods and I dont know where to go.thanks ken
Old 04-17-2012, 10:50 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

You don't hear static?

Which mods does it look like you need? I've never gone from a motorized one to a fixed, but I would figure it simpler than the reverse. Wouldn't you just unbolt the mechanized assembly, put on the stubby ones, and hook the main antenna wire up to it?

Maybe someone else will chime in for ya..
Old 04-18-2012, 05:01 PM
2525ken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Birdman
You don't hear static?

Which mods does it look like you need? I've never gone from a motorized one to a fixed, but I would figure it simpler than the reverse. Wouldn't you just unbolt the mechanized assembly, put on the stubby ones, and hook the main antenna wire up to it?

Maybe someone else will chime in for ya..
Birdman I am no mechanic but here is what I have done. I have a 01 vert that the antenna raises and lowers. After taking out the antenna and the white cable out you have the black spacer with a brass grommet in the middle. I purchased the shorty stubby from ebay for 11.95 that has a fiber steel piece that is about a 1 1/2 or two inches long that is just a little to big to put into the brass grommet. I took and turned in on the grinder just enough to let it fit into the grommet and then skrewed the stubby into it and took a little JBweld and let it seal. It is my understanding that the brass grommet is grounded and it is getting good reception. Wish I had taken pics but I was so thrilled with myself I did not think till the deal was done. hope this helps. ken

Get notified of new replies

To carbon fiber radio antenna

Quick Reply: carbon fiber radio antenna