C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new build done. broken rocker arms.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:39 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I would look them over real well before shipping just in case they are trying to tell you something.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:56 PM
Underdogg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

like what?
Old 05-04-2012, 07:38 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

For any signs that there is other cracking that might indicate an issue with the valve train itself unless YT knows they had issues with a lot of fabrication.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Underdogg
Racer

Well the way it was explained to me is the engineering dept would be forwarded my email and after evaluating the info and pictures, if they could deduct that it was a product fault and not one of my own, then the entire set would be replaced free of charge. Which it will be.

I would think that if they were of the belief that this was my fault, the rockers would not be warrantied and I would be stuck buying another set and reevaluating my valve train set up.

If this new set breaks, then I will contact Doug and make a payment for the second set of rockers and will begin trying to establish what is wrong on my end of things. However I don't think that is the case. But IF this was my fault then I will pay for the parts I received under warranty and deal with my valve train problems on my own. I feel that Yella Terra and The Mako Group have handled this very well and I have no ill feelings toward any of this situation. There has been times where I've bought new parts for various projects and they didn't work out. I know it happens. It's a part of mass producing any product.

I just hope I can find all the needle bearings that are scattered around the head. Anyone have any idea on how many bearings there is supposed to be in each bearing??

Last edited by Underdogg; 05-04-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:08 PM
MikeV
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do the PT on the others before you send them back just for the hell of it. Let us know what you find.

Mike V
Old 05-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Underdogg
Racer

I will try and do that. Should have them all off this afternoon after i get off work.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:27 PM
MikeV
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you do the PT?

Mike V
Old 05-12-2012, 06:37 PM
miami993c297
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeV
Did you do the PT?

Mike V
Do you mean Piston To Valve clearance or PTV Clearance?

Christian
Old 05-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Underdogg
Racer

penetrant testing is what he means.

no sadly i didnt have time. i have been out of town for work every week and have been very busy. i did get them all off and found another one on the passenger side to be completely broke in half. and found another one with a hair line crack.

they have all been sent to mississippi to Doug Smith. once they get there on monday i should be having another set shipped to me.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:25 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

Best of luck man.

Ron
Old 05-14-2012, 07:43 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

With that many cracked rockers, I would thoroughly go through the valve train setup before installing the new ones. Check wipe and shim accordingly. Then check all clearances:

Pushrod to cup
Rocker to retainer
Retainer to valve seal

Something just seems amiss here.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:03 PM
Underdogg
Racer

Originally Posted by vettenuts
With that many cracked rockers, I would thoroughly go through the valve train setup before installing the new ones. Check wipe and shim accordingly. Then check all clearances:

Pushrod to cup
Rocker to retainer
Retainer to valve seal

Something just seems amiss here.

i agree. but in the back of my mind, it is very odd that the only rockers to break or fail were intake rockers. i would think that if i had set up something wrong then more than just 3 intake rockers would have gone bad, but thats just my opinion...
Old 06-13-2012, 11:37 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

What was the final outcome of this problem you had with the rocker arms? Any updates since installing the new rocker arms?
Old 06-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Underdogg
Racer

i havent received the new set yet. after 3 months of calling and calling and calling. being pushed back and pushed back. they finally said id be getting a new set. i talked to Doug thursday mid day and he said he would be dropping my set in the out box this past friday.

sorry for the long wait in response, im almost done with this car and its been on the back of my mind. once this new set gets installed and made sure that everything is ok i will be putting the car up for sale. i think it is time to move on.

kinda sucks but my heart isnt in the car modding thing anymore. ive decided to get back into drag racing crotch rockets and a truck would suit me better for the trips back and forth to the track on the weekends.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:32 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Any updates? Im looking at upgrading to YT's in my LS3. I loved them in my LS1.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new build done. broken rocker arms.