C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freon leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Freon leak

My wifes car apparently has a slow freon leak. For the last two years, I've had to add a can to it and then it's fine for the year. I would assume I have a a o-ring leak somewhere, but dont really have any trustworthy mechanics that wont charge based on the car.
Are there any particular areas that are more of an issue than others?
Old 05-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When you added was it the recharge with dye? If so, then a black light should reveal the problem area. You really need a set of AC gages to truly tell what's going on. They are not that expensive and it is the correct way to add.

You have o-rings at every connection point. Off the top of my head I think like 8-10, some very specific like the seals on the back of the compressor, or those on the accumulator. It could be a pin leak in the evaporator, or the compressor is at the end of it's life.

Can be a DIY if you have the right tools and lots of patience. And knowing the tricks to get at certain fasteners that none of these instructions cover! Ask me how I know this
Old 05-05-2012, 12:00 PM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not saying it's the case but compressor shaft seals are the most common leak. Most shops here swap the compressor rather than attempt changing the seal. Look for any damp areas. As the gas escapes, so does a small amout of the oil.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Order your parts from Gene Culley, save a few $.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks guys
I do have guages I use to put the freon in
Had thought about the dye, but wasn't sure how well it worked.
The car has some years on it, so I know the o-rings are getting some age on them, but I hope its not around the compressor. I hate to even swap the belt on it
Old 05-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I was there a few weeks ago. I replaced my compressor and accumulator, it's an '01 with 74K on it. Compressor was just worn out. AC-Delco stamped on the side "Made in China" of course what isn't these days.

Get notified of new replies

To Freon leak

Quick Reply: Freon leak