C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the best flowing heads for a 5.7?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 01:41 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

I never said AFR heads were junk. In fact, for a street application, they're probably a good choice.

My thought is, if your building a street application, then you are certainly not building a max effort engine. So, if that's the case, why spend a bunch of money on high dollar heads when a stock set of 243s with a little work done to them will work exceptionally well?

IMHO the only reason why anyone would buy high dollar heads for a street application is for dyno bragging rights. And that's fine, if that's what they want. To me, it seems like a waste of money.

Last edited by C5 Pete; 05-07-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:46 PM
All_Motor_C5LS6
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by capthuff
i never said afr heads were junk. In fact, for a street application, they're probably a good choice.

My thought is, if your building a street application, then you are certainly not building a max effort engine. So, if that's the case, why spend a bunch of money on high dollar heads when a stock set of 243s with a little work done to them will work exceptionally well?

Imho the only reason why anyone would buy high dollar heads for a street application is for dyno bragging rights. And that's fine, if that's what they want. To me, it seems like a waste of money.
amen brotha!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:23 PM
LSOHOLIC
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Well...........lots of great post made.

You stated that dyno#'s and making 400+ to the tire is what is important to you, so............this is my opinion, 243's can and are the best bang for the buck. In most builds, being all out or a conservative build the 243's are with in 10-15 rwhp of the aftermarket heads. And let it be known not all of the "aftermarket" heads can hold a candle to a set of 243's work by the right guy. Just because they are aftermarket does not mean the port, seat, throat, csa etc....are better than a set of worked 243's. A head is only as good as the creator/designer.

As stated earlier...243's and TFS own the 346" N/A records. IMHO, the TEA 243 is the best factory port job available (for the price), that being said TEA does TFS machining and custom work. And FYI they share the same building....

Just remember that peak flow numbers do not show the whole picture, coefficient of discharge and curtain area are the kings on the block. Average flow in a big factor as well as velocity and efficiency of the chamber to the bore size. The TEA 243 was specifically designed for a 3.898" bore and does very well doing so.

Here is a guy who made 495rwhp with a set of TEA 243's and a mild cam.......
http://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomete...m-numbers.html

And the great thing is...you can actually talk to B.Tooley, the guy who created the port, chamber, seat..etc program for the TEA 243.

All this being said, you will need to factor in the cost of the 243's + the port work if you go that route. Sh*t, you may hit 400rwhp with 243's without port work.

Good luck with your project.......... What cam and manifold do you plan on running ??

Thanks............
Old 05-07-2012, 11:21 PM
Kainedogg
Rass Claat Viper
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LSOHOLIC
Well...........lots of great post made.

You stated that dyno#'s and making 400+ to the tire is what is important to you, so............this is my opinion, 243's can and are the best bang for the buck. In most builds, being all out or a conservative build the 243's are with in 10-15 rwhp of the aftermarket heads. And let it be known not all of the "aftermarket" heads can hold a candle to a set of 243's work by the right guy. Just because they are aftermarket does not mean the port, seat, throat, csa etc....are better than a set of worked 243's. A head is only as good as the creator/designer.

As stated earlier...243's and TFS own the 346" N/A records. IMHO, the TEA 243 is the best factory port job available (for the price), that being said TEA does TFS machining and custom work. And FYI they share the same building....

Just remember that peak flow numbers do not show the whole picture, coefficient of discharge and curtain area are the kings on the block. Average flow in a big factor as well as velocity and efficiency of the chamber to the bore size. The TEA 243 was specifically designed for a 3.898" bore and does very well doing so.

Here is a guy who made 495rwhp with a set of TEA 243's and a mild cam.......
http://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomete...m-numbers.html

And the great thing is...you can actually talk to B.Tooley, the guy who created the port, chamber, seat..etc program for the TEA 243.

All this being said, you will need to factor in the cost of the 243's + the port work if you go that route. Sh*t, you may hit 400rwhp with 243's without port work.

Good luck with your project.......... What cam and manifold do you plan on running ??

Thanks............

Thanks for the awesome post man. I will certainly keep my eyes peeled for the 243's, they just seem like a win win move. The car presently has an LS6 intake and Texas Speed Torquer V2 cam. Definitely not my first choice but it came with the car...and took a lot of getting to used to...actually I am still not use to it. I think it inadvertently prompted me to write this post because I want heads and cam to match. Figure 400hp and a nice area under the curve will make for a pleasant car to drive and something that put me solidly in the 12's on factor 3.15's.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:51 PM
Vicarious.
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kainedogg
Thanks for the awesome post man. I will certainly keep my eyes peeled for the 243's, they just seem like a win win move. The car presently has an LS6 intake and Texas Speed Torquer V2 cam. Definitely not my first choice but it came with the car...and took a lot of getting to used to...actually I am still not use to it. I think it inadvertently prompted me to write this post because I want heads and cam to match. Figure 400hp and a nice area under the curve will make for a pleasant car to drive and something that put me solidly in the 12's on factor 3.15's.
If you are specifically looking for "area under the curve" pay special attention to the information out there about not getting CNC ports that are too large for your build.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:20 AM
LSOHOLIC
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NassyBlue
If you are specifically looking for "area under the curve" pay special attention to the information out there about not getting CNC ports that are too large for your build.
Good point......most cathedral heads with well developed programs will not have a large runner. The TEA stage II is a 224cc runner, if the head is developed correctly it does not take a huge runner to get the job done. Velocity is a important thing, a runner to flow 300cfm @ .550" lift w/224cc runner vs a head with 300cfm @ .550" w/245 runner..........who has the velocity edge ?? And who's building power under the curve ??

Thanks............
Old 05-08-2012, 02:09 PM
Kainedogg
Rass Claat Viper
Support Corvetteforum!

This has been a useful thread thus far.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Kainedogg
Rass Claat Viper
Support Corvetteforum!

Just read this thread again as I keep my eyes peeled for a 243 deal. Lots of good information here.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:24 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

I've got the stock 243 heads from my 01 Z for sale. $500 obo
Old 12-08-2012, 11:30 PM
Kainedogg
Rass Claat Viper
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Huff, but I just missed a set for $350 shipped on this site a few days ago, so I am hoping my vigilance (initially, lack thereof) will pay off with a similar deal. Your price is damn fair however.

Quick Reply: What are the best flowing heads for a 5.7?