C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to look for in used C5 manual convert?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 11:47 AM
californiajim
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default What to look for in used C5 manual convert?

Just sold a C4 and looking for a manual, red, C5 convertible.
Found one with 90,000 miles. and one with 74,000 miles.
How many miles before clutch replacement?
Where is build code, in rear glove box like c4?
Can I find service records with vin#?
What should I lookout for?
Thanks for the help.
Jim
Old 05-09-2012, 02:10 PM
R CRYSIS
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The clutch will wear out depending on how the car was driven..I don't think going over a hundred thousand is to uncommon. It also depends on weather or not the miles were freeway or city. The clutch is not very expensive to buy but the labor would be if you were not able to replace it yourself. It is not really that hard to do if you have a lift and a Manuel to help you. The option codes are in the glove box but not sure about a build sheet. The best advice I could give you is to get an 01 to 04 the C5's tend to have ABS issues at times and the 97 to 2000 EBCM is non repairable and hard to find. but the 01 to 04 is easily fixed. I have a 2000 with active handling and I wish I would have known before I bought it...Also active handling is standard equipment for the 01 to 04 and it is a nice option. The Z51 suspension option is also nice it will be listed in the codes on the glove box door. Some people have a Z51 car and don't even know it. You can also tell because it will have a power steering cooler. If you get a selective ride control the 03 to 04 is upgraded to magnetic ride control and is supposed to work better that the earlier ones just trying to give you a little info I wish I had before I bought my C5...Good luck you will love the car
Old 05-09-2012, 04:01 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

What is the year, that would help identify certain known issues.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:49 PM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bought my 99 with 71K. Clutch worked fine but I had the engine out for other reasons and took a look. The disc was worn about half way but the flywheel and plate had serious blueing and hot spots. It was a no brainer to replace it as well as the hydraulics. So as stated, no sure rule on mileage with a clutch.

Mine also seemed to have all the common issues. Oil sender, crank damper/pulley, squeaky belts, dead climate control display but no ABS problems...knock on wood.

I guess the unobtainiom EBCM could certainly be an issue. I have read most of the postings since I have been here. Yes there are some reported failures of the 97-00 units but I see many more 01-04 failures reported. The good news being the late ones are repairable. Sort of a catch 22. Actually, it turns out several looking for 97-00 EBCMs admit they just want one for a spare.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:48 PM
mikes1hog
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oldtimer

You might consider raising your top price you'll pay and look for one with lower mileage and meticulous caring for the vehicle. They are out there. You will then be able to have fun with the car and postpone the "usual" stuff that a car needs by 70-90K miles. I did what I just said, paid 26.5K for an '04 vert with 7200 miles. Take your time and look; you will find your car or you can always go to Carlisle at the end of August.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:01 AM
fendermender
Drifting

Originally Posted by mikes1hog
You might consider raising your top price you'll pay and look for one with lower mileage and meticulous caring for the vehicle. They are out there. You will then be able to have fun with the car and postpone the "usual" stuff that a car needs by 70-90K miles. I did what I just said, paid 26.5K for an '04 vert with 7200 miles. Take your time and look; you will find your car or you can always go to Carlisle at the end of August.
Mike I certainly agree with your opinion. This is especially true if you have to pay for labor. I'm in the auto body and repair bussiness so I do all my own work. Having said that I think I would have been better off doing paying jobs and just buying a mint original. But at least I know what I have when I'm done.

I was also looking last year and everyone said go to Carlisle. By the time it rolled around I still hadn't bought one but did have my eye on the one I ultimately got. I primarily went scouting parts sources but did look at the cars for sale. I just have to say it was a real disapointment as car shopping goes. I know attendance was said to be down due to the hurricane but what I did see was way over priced. My opinion is people take cars there seeking top dollar because they have a big audience. I took it as a good way to save shipping on large parts and take advantage of vendor specials. But I saw better deals on cars for sale here, Craigs, Auto Trader and ebay.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:22 AM
californiajim
Instructor

Did not know about EBCM. (I like having brakes.) Surprised someone hasn't made a retrofit or conversion for that yet.
Also heard of LS motor high oil consumption but that may just be a problem with the Z06?

I would like to find one within 2or3 hour drive from Monterey, Ca.
I went to a corvette show but nothing for sale.
Does Carlisle, Pa. have a for sale area??
Thanks.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:19 AM
mikes1hog
Pro

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by fendermender
Mike I certainly agree with your opinion. This is especially true if you have to pay for labor. I'm in the auto body and repair bussiness so I do all my own work. Having said that I think I would have been better off doing paying jobs and just buying a mint original. But at least I know what I have when I'm done.

I was also looking last year and everyone said go to Carlisle. By the time it rolled around I still hadn't bought one but did have my eye on the one I ultimately got. I primarily went scouting parts sources but did look at the cars for sale. I just have to say it was a real disapointment as car shopping goes. I know attendance was said to be down due to the hurricane but what I did see was way over priced. My opinion is people take cars there seeking top dollar because they have a big audience. I took it as a good way to save shipping on large parts and take advantage of vendor specials. But I saw better deals on cars for sale here, Craigs, Auto Trader and ebay.
You are right about the high prices at Carlisle (I bought mine off Ebay). If you do find a nice car at Carlisle, deals are made on the last day of the meet if the seller doesn't want to drag their car back to wherever.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:24 AM
mikes1hog
Pro

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by californiajim
Did not know about EBCM. (I like having brakes.) Surprised someone hasn't made a retrofit or conversion for that yet.
Also heard of LS motor high oil consumption but that may just be a problem with the Z06?

I would like to find one within 2or3 hour drive from Monterey, Ca.
I went to a corvette show but nothing for sale.
Does Carlisle, Pa. have a for sale area??
Thanks.
It's been a long time since I lived in CA (1987-1990 Lemoore NAS), but i remember car shows and sales corrals at Pomona; check out Roberts Chevrolet in Hanford CA -if he's still around, he had a big collection of chevys. Also, the Hanford and Visalia newspapers. Carlisle will have a for sale area and you can request a list of cars for sale as the event gets closer.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:27 AM
mchicia1
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't lose your brakes if the EBCM goes. Holy **** what a safety hazard that would be. You just lose your ABS and active handling.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:58 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I would not but anything earlier than an 01', Parts for earlier cars are getting hard/impossible to get.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:23 PM
californiajim
Instructor

Thanks for the help. Looks like I am looking for a 2001 - 2004.
I've been following some threads on the ECBM for 1997-2000 and haven't seen any solutions yet.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:19 PM
fendermender
Drifting

Originally Posted by californiajim
Thanks for the help. Looks like I am looking for a 2001 - 2004.
I've been following some threads on the ECBM for 1997-2000 and haven't seen any solutions yet.
An 01 is still a 11yo car. Things will start geting discontinued for them in a few years too. Good luck with your search.

Get notified of new replies

To What to look for in used C5 manual convert?

Quick Reply: What to look for in used C5 manual convert?