C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel gauge stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 02:29 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

Not sure how many have had success with the Techron but I for one am not one of them. Used it twice on empty during fill up and a few weeks after the gauge dropped to E with the stupid message.

So I suppose its one of the sending units right? Though it's been roughly a month since it's happened and hasn't happened again. Guess I don't know what to think.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:20 PM
bkalkwarf
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Techron isn't an instant fix. It'll get better over a few months , if you use Techron with every fill-up and only use Top-Tier gas. Once the problem is gone, continue to use Techron monthly Quality gas is critical. The problem is believed to be related to sulfur deposits on the sending unit, and Top Tier gas contains minimal sulfur.

When I first got my car, I used the cheapest 'premium' fuel I could find. I started to have the E problem constantly. Once some other owners told me to use Techron and Top Tier, It took nearly all summer one year to fix the problem - and it never goes away permanently. I've seen it twice this summer. However, I'm willing to deal with that as opposed to the cost for new sending units. Besides, I've seen posts from owners who have dropped the tanks to replace the sending units, and the problem returns because of crummy gas.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:07 PM
pcbunn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also tried Techron but saw no results even though I have always used Chevron gas exclusively. Then I started using Stabil fuel stabilizer at the end of each driving season when car was basically sitting in the garage. The gas gauge issue went away and has never reared its ugly head again. Still using Chevron gas and Stabil in the winter so maybe that has something to do with it, I can't say for sure but at least the issue is gone it seems for good.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:58 PM
Harleyyac
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Worked for me. I will only use Top tier and Techron .MAybe Seafoam once or twice a year.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:28 PM
VetteFTW
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I got shell gas and some techron, and after 7 years of my gage not working, IT WORKS! I have tried so many times with techron, but the shell gas must have really done it. I am so happy.

Quick Reply: fuel gauge stopped working