C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 bumper cover prep and paint questions...

Old 06-01-2012, 12:53 AM
Jondamnit
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C5 bumper cover prep and paint questions...

My C5 rear bumper has a section of paint chipped off and loose/bubbled areas after a very low speed impact. The bumper cover is fine. No creases cuts of even nicks in the plastic. In fact it is not deformed in any way. The exposed plastic is smooth and not oxidized. The paint itself the only issue.

What is the best way to,
1st: Remove the bubbled paint in the affected area?

2nd: Feather out the good paint surrounding the exposed plastic area?

3rd: Any other prep tricks before actually painting the surface?

Thanks for any replies... J
Old 06-01-2012, 01:22 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

WHEW! Remove any loose paint from damaged area. Sand the area and taper the repair in from NO paint to clearcoat in a 4" area around the NO paint area. SEAL prime and paint the area being careful to mask off with loose tape.. BLOCK Sand! Paint coat again, sand and clearcoat and polish.

BC
Old 06-01-2012, 06:41 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Take the fascia off, makes it easier to work on and you don't have to mask off the whole car. There is safe stripper if you want to take all the paint off. If you worried about matching the rest of the car you might want to blend the repair with the rest of the cover and reclear the whole fascia.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Jondamnit
Instructor

Thanks, I plan to just paint and blend into the non affected paint. I've read threads on this and it seem there are a few different views on paint removal. Some going as agressive as a 50 grit which might be good for plastic repair not in my case... What do you think? 320 grit?
Old 06-01-2012, 08:44 AM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
Take the fascia off, makes it easier to work on and you don't have to mask off the whole car. There is safe stripper if you want to take all the paint off. If you worried about matching the rest of the car you might want to blend the repair with the rest of the cover and reclear the whole fascia.

I can't believe how many times I see fascias that were painted on the car by other shops. Overspray on the lights ect. Probably took longer to tape and mask than it would have been to remove the cover.

If it's peeling like that, it was refinished at some point. You really need to get all the loose paint off. If I were doing it, I would take it off down to the original paint surface. I just did this to my front one as I bought it used and it had been repainted. I used a combination of a DA sander, media blast and hand sanding. Then two coats of primer surfacer, more hand sanding with 400, epoxy sealer, base and clear. Then sanding again and buff. Lot of work.

FWIW, the covers rarely match the rest of the car from new. Look at some new cars in a parking lot sometime. PPG even has a poster they put out for shops to explain the reasons. They will not warrant a color match on bumper covers or other plastic trim.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:52 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

A friend owns a high end body shop and said the same about getting the covers to match perfect no matter what. Silver being the worst.

Is the paint special for these flexible parts? My front cover is horrible on the underside.

Ron
Old 06-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

I was quoted a price of $716 to R&R the rear fascia, sand, prime, and paint. The day after I bought my Vette it was clipped on the driver's side corner in a Wal Mart parking lot and the paint spider-webbed. Does that sound reasonable?
Old 06-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Paul Wood
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I was quoted a price of $716 to R&R the rear fascia, sand, prime, and paint. The day after I bought my Vette it was clipped on the driver's side corner in a Wal Mart parking lot and the paint spider-webbed. Does that sound reasonable?
YES. If it is a reputable shop and they will give you a warranty. Good Luck.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:35 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

If it was repainted already, strip it all. Thick paint chips easily.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:42 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,339 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by fendermender

I can't believe how many times I see fascias that were painted on the car by other shops. Overspray on the lights ect. Probably took longer to tape and mask than it would have been to remove the cover.

If it's peeling like that, it was refinished at some point. You really need to get all the loose paint off. If I were doing it, I would take it off down to the original paint surface. I just did this to my front one as I bought it used and it had been repainted. I used a combination of a DA sander, media blast and hand sanding. Then two coats of primer surfacer, more hand sanding with 400, epoxy sealer, base and clear. Then sanding again and buff. Lot of work.

FWIW, the covers rarely match the rest of the car from new. Look at some new cars in a parking lot sometime. PPG even has a poster they put out for shops to explain the reasons. They will not warrant a color match on bumper covers or other plastic trim.
Could you elaborate on what "media" you used? I've been looking for an effective way to strip urethane bumpers for a LONG time, with no good answers....
Old 06-01-2012, 03:36 PM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Could you elaborate on what "media" you used? I've been looking for an effective way to strip urethane bumpers for a LONG time, with no good answers....
Yeah they are a PITA. The spray can stuff they sell is a joke. I have used white sand with varying degrees of success. If the repaint is thick and it wasn't prepared well, it will blow right off down to the OE finish. I did a Dodge Caravan frt once and it blew it all off in minutes. On this one I used the DA on the surfaces where it would work. Around the lamp and brake duct openings the last guy evidently didn't sand too good and the sand blaster blew it right off. A go over with 150 gets it smooth enough for primer surfacer.

Be interesting to know what the outfits do that recondition them.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Wood
YES. If it is a reputable shop and they will give you a warranty. Good Luck.
Yes, it does come with a warranty. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Jondamnit
Instructor

Thanks all...! I plan to do most of the prep while it's on the car and then remove it to paint. just seems like it will be easier to work on that way. the color is Artic White so as long as the color/shade is anywhere near original it should be fine... Much better looking the the zebra *** I'm sporting now...
Old 06-01-2012, 06:41 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,339 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by fendermender
....Be interesting to know what the outfits do that recondition them.

I've painted a few cars in my lifetime, and I know you shouldn't "pile the paint on", especially on a semi-flexible part like a urethane bumper. That's why I'd like to find a way to strip the OE finish, so I can get to the bare surface, and start fresh.

I've seen a number of magazine articles, as well as a few "internet how-to's", and all they say is to give the bumper a quick wet sand. Somehow or other, I don't think a quick wet sand is the right way to start a good refinish....

Get notified of new replies

To C5 bumper cover prep and paint questions...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 bumper cover prep and paint questions...