C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B&B Longtubes and mid pipe question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 11:41 PM
98lingvet
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B&B Longtubes and mid pipe question

I have the B&B longtube on my 98 C5 with the Borla Stinger exhaust. I am wating to know what mid pipes I can get. Im not too sure whats on there now. Im thinking I want to go catless. What are my options for midpipes?
Old 06-08-2012, 05:17 AM
98lingvet
Advanced

Bump!!!
Old 06-08-2012, 06:33 AM
c5vette211
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '14

This will depend on what kind of sound you are going for or if you have to pass inspections with cats or if you are trying to achieve max performance. I have XS long tube with 3" catless xpipe and borla straight pipes. It is loud as SH** at WOT but thats what I wanted and I dont have inspections so also take a picture of what is on there if you dont know and Im sure someone can identify them... a little more info could help the question along.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:33 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Removing the STOCK "H" pipe is a good mod---Replace it with any aftermarket "X" pipe--- I used a unniversal X pipe availiable from most anyone --They fit perfectly and are only about $75--had my local muffler shop install it--- You can buy vehilcle specific x pipes--There are several for the C5 C6's--However be prepared to pay the "Corvette Tax"--Prices can range from $250-$450 !!!
The X pipe usually QUIETS the sound down and gives the exhaust more of a race car rasphy sound--especially at WOT---The H pipe gives the sound more of the low rumble sound---Depends on what you like---I prefer the race car sound--There can be some annoying resonance with the X pipe depending on which cat back system you install
Old 06-11-2012, 12:49 AM
98lingvet
Advanced

Im really wondering about the mid pipes with cats or no cats. Is the X or H pipe seperate from the mid pipes with the cats? Im wanting to go with no cats and need to know what pipes to get that will fit with my B&B long tubes.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:09 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

What is driving your burning desire to go CAT less??

It will get louder, but, you only gain approx 10 hp...

You also need to know that you will have a more aggressive exhaust smell.

If you were running forced induction and lots of HP, YES,, the CATs can become a impedance to power and performance.

On a mostly stock C5,, IMHO, leave them alone and spend money on a good set of headers, VARARAM and a tune. You will be MUCH happier.

The X pipe will most likely add little if any power. Its done more for changing the sound than anything.

I have a complete Stainless Works 3" system and it comes with an X pipe.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:10 PM
98lingvet
Advanced

Current mods are: Ported FAST intake, Ported TB, Volant CAI, Lingenfelter built Ported heads with 62 cc chambers, TSP TQ V2 cam, B&B Longtubes, Corsa X pipe, unknown mid pipes/ cats and a Borla Stinger axle back.

Im just wanting to get the most free flowing exhaust the get the best driveablilty and performance. I dont even know if I have high flow cats at the moment. I know i want something more free flowing for sure.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:15 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Agree with Bill---going catless is not going to net you much HP---C5 exhaust systems are pretty well desingned from the factory--Yes maybe 5-8 RWHP with a good cat-back system and another 6-8 RWHP by going catless--
The "annoying " factor goes up however 100% both as an occupant or as an observer--The resonance is horrible--
Really the best way to get a more free flowing exhaust is to get headers--Either long tubes if laws allow or even just shorties---Another option is to get a used set of exhaust manifolds from an early Z06---They are cast iron but look like a shorty headers with individual runners and a nice collector system--also they appear stock -I used a set for years before i got my LT's---HP gain was about 10-12 RWHP over your stock 98 stainless manifolds-
And finally there is the ethical issue of not doing your part to keep our air clean !!
Old 06-12-2012, 01:18 PM
c5vette211
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by tblu92
Agree with Bill---going catless is not going to net you much HP---C5 exhaust systems are pretty well desingned from the factory--Yes maybe 5-8 RWHP with a good cat-back system and another 6-8 RWHP by going catless--
The "annoying " factor goes up however 100% both as an occupant or as an observer--The resonance is horrible--
Really the best way to get a more free flowing exhaust is to get headers--Either long tubes if laws allow or even just shorties---Another option is to get a used set of exhaust manifolds from an early Z06---They are cast iron but look like a shorty headers with individual runners and a nice collector system--also they appear stock -I used a set for years before i got my LT's---HP gain was about 10-12 RWHP over your stock 98 stainless manifolds-
And finally there is the ethical issue of not doing your part to keep our air clean !!
The op states he already has longtube B&B....
Old 06-12-2012, 01:35 PM
c5vette211
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by 98lingvet
Im really wondering about the mid pipes with cats or no cats. Is the X or H pipe seperate from the mid pipes with the cats? Im wanting to go with no cats and need to know what pipes to get that will fit with my B&B long tubes.
In the stock setup the H pipe is in the rear of the midpipe aft of the cats. If you want no cats you have a few options you can do resonators instead of cats, sraight pipe, or xpipe. get the B&B off road midpipe xpipe 2 3/4" fitment should be good this will bolt to your catback system as well.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:25 PM
98lingvet
Advanced

Since I have B&B Longtubes do I have to buy the B&B catted mid pipes? I looked under the car yesterday and noticeed that it still has the stock cats on it.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:29 PM
98lingvet
Advanced

Default keep our air clean

Originally Posted by tblu92
Do burnouts and burning rubber keep our air clean? Nice avatar pic.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:19 AM
c5vette211
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by 98lingvet
Since I have B&B Longtubes do I have to buy the B&B catted mid pipes? I looked under the car yesterday and noticeed that it still has the stock cats on it.
you do not have to use the B&B you just have to make sure that the diameter of the mid pipe flange is the same as the flange on the headers. Any vendor you call will be able to help you through this process if you talk to their tech line and tell them what headers you have they can set you up with the rest with any brand.

Get notified of new replies

To B&B Longtubes and mid pipe question

Quick Reply: B&B Longtubes and mid pipe question