C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car randomly not starting.. Ignition switch or theft deterrent system

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 05:40 PM
Boosted93
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car randomly not starting.. Ignition switch or theft deterrent system

Hey guys in the last week my c5 has been randomly not starting.. At first i thought it might be the key and i needed a spare anyways soo i got one made today.. Well after the gym it didnt start

Here is some basic info.. it will do it random.. i take the key out and play with it and it will start after a while (ive searched and have heard it takes 3 mins if its theft related?)

One time the car didnt start and i kept messing with it sooo much that i thought i had flooded it cause i would start it (after messing wtih it) and it would just die (sounds like theft detterent.. fuel cut off??)

Would a bad idnition switch trigger the theft deterrent system?? Also i dont have the key noob/alarm for the car would this have anything to do with it??

Anyways any info would be great.. its gettin really annyoing :/
Old 08-31-2012, 07:54 PM
Boosted93
Intermediate

will do next time it dont start
Old 09-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Boosted93
Intermediate

Well i went out to my car right now to get the codes and noticed that when i put the key in the security light was flashing.. soo i tryed to start it and nothing.. waitied 3 mins and it started right up

Codes are
Pcm P1571 H
pcm P1631 H C

HVAc B0333 H

Any input??
Old 09-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Boosted93
Intermediate

Looks like P1631H is ...Theft Deterrent System Password Incorrect
Old 09-02-2012, 07:24 AM
Boosted93
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
The pellet on the key is not being read correctly. This sets a security code that prevents the car from staring. Couple of options:

1) try your backup key.

2) use the eraser on a pencil to clean the resistor pellet on the key and then use a lint free cloth to wipe it off.

3) Get a container of electrical contact cleaner ( Radio Shack has it for certain) and spray a little into the key slot on the ignition cylinder. The insert and remove the key at least a dozen times wiping it clean with a lint free cloth between insertions.

The Ignition Cylinder has a fine wire inside the ket slot that wipes across the resistor pellet reading it. The wire can get a layer of oxidation built up in it.

Do you have a lot of STUFF hanging on the key chain that the ignition key is on? If yes, loose the unnecessary stuff on the chain and you will avoid unnecessary wear on the ignition cylinder due to the weight of the stuff.

I will have to get the electical contact cleaner and give it a try.. I just got a new key made the other day soo its deff not the keys..

What else can i try guys or start replacing?? Waiting 3 mins is becoming VERY annyoing
Old 09-08-2012, 10:45 PM
Boosted93
Intermediate

Soo i cleaned the ignition yesterday with electical contact cleaner and it seems to help the situation but didnt solve it... Anyone else have ideas or should i just go ahead and repalce the ignition??
Old 09-17-2012, 04:11 AM
Boosted93
Intermediate

Bump bump guys any input on what parts to change out?? Ive been searching a little but would like some first hand input.. thanks
Old 09-17-2012, 04:17 AM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted93
Soo i cleaned the ignition yesterday with electical contact cleaner and it seems to help the situation but didnt solve it... Anyone else have ideas or should i just go ahead and repalce the ignition??
How did it help it? Did it temporarily alleviate the problem? Take a look at this thread before you throw parts at it: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ch-repair.html

You'll be able to clean the cylinder a little better while it's out too...
Old 09-17-2012, 06:24 PM
Boosted93
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cdkcorvette7
How did it help it? Did it temporarily alleviate the problem? Take a look at this thread before you throw parts at it: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ch-repair.html

You'll be able to clean the cylinder a little better while it's out too...

It seem to not happen as much.. Ive search around and it seems like ppl just replace the ignition switch then get a locks man re key there keys.. id just like input before doing that.. I dont think its the contacts on the igntion switch itself
Old 09-17-2012, 10:34 PM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Could very well be the fuel line from the filter to the tank with the check valve--letting the gas back into the tank and not keeping it pressurized to the fuel rails--hard start until the fuel pump keeps pumping--have it checked--
Old 09-18-2012, 01:52 PM
chrisj
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I had similar issues once, but I think mine were different.

I had major electrical gremlins. I had a bad positive lead wire (prior battery had leaked and corroded the wire). I had a bad electrical component in the drivers door. I had several communication codes that were being thrown because of the bad electrical component in the drivers door.

After all that was fixed, turns out I just needed a starter.....

Also, if this issue continues or isn't related to the ignition, take a look at the threads on here about checking/cleaning your grounds.

chris
Old 09-19-2012, 12:06 AM
Boosted93
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chrisj
I had similar issues once, but I think mine were different.

I had major electrical gremlins. I had a bad positive lead wire (prior battery had leaked and corroded the wire). I had a bad electrical component in the drivers door. I had several communication codes that were being thrown because of the bad electrical component in the drivers door.

After all that was fixed, turns out I just needed a starter.....

Also, if this issue continues or isn't related to the ignition, take a look at the threads on here about checking/cleaning your grounds.

chris
Ive cleaned the grounds.. it seems to only do it when i unlock my car with my keys
Old 09-19-2012, 12:13 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Mine dose that every now and then. Some times removing and replacing the key works. Sometimes it still wont start. The wiggling the shift **** will fix it.

Get notified of new replies

To Car randomly not starting.. Ignition switch or theft deterrent system

Quick Reply: Car randomly not starting.. Ignition switch or theft deterrent system