C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle and hesitation problems dirt gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 08:10 AM
elctron02
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Idle and hesitation problems dirty gas

Need some advice before i start.
Had no past problems. Car was sitting for several weeks on E (hardly any gas). ( i know thats where i went wrong).
Car drove fine to gas station. Filled up 15 plus gallons. Immediately the rmps were dropping below 500 and sometimes to 100. The car didnt shut off. It stayed running. Hesitating when trying to drive.

My guess, the tank had dirt or water. The filter needs replacment.
pump too?

What do you guys think?

Car has 35k 2002 6 speed. Never changed the gas filter, injectors, or plugs.

Please advise.
Thank you
John

Last edited by elctron02; 08-19-2012 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Mispelled word
Old 08-19-2012, 09:05 AM
ssrallyred
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

If it were me I would just drive it for awhile and see if it clears up on its on. If it was running fine when you parked it and all you did was fill it up I dought it is from the gas, you just dont see that being the cause today with any type of volume filling station. Just take it out for a nice drive and worst case it will set a code IF there is a real problem and go from there. Just a side note I tend to change the fuel filter every 30K but thats just me.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:13 AM
happiedazs
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Dump A bottle or two of Techron in the gas tank and run that tank out before you start throwing parts at your baby --- I'll bet all problems disappear.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:45 PM
andrec10
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by happiedazs
Dump A bottle or two of Techron in the gas tank and run that tank out before you start throwing parts at your baby --- I'll bet all problems disappear.

And Advance Auto Parts has buy one bottle, get the next for a $1.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Banditz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dirt in gas? No..Bad gas? Unlikely unless you bought gas at some really crappy old station where you had more teeth than 8 of the customer's and employees there...

Your issue, I would bet ALOT of money on..is water in the fuel tank. When a tank is empty it causes water build up on the inside surface's sometime's when condition's are right. You did not say how far the gas station was. But seeming as the car was on empty as you say I would bet it was pretty darn close. odd's are you drove fine because she was only running on the fuel in the line's and sucked up what remained of the gas right as you got to the station. Water in gas will "bubble" on the bottom of the tank. Odd's are you sucked some of that up and it's in the line's now. the ONLY thing you can do is either drain out the entire system in which is VERY complicated and expensive. OR you can go to the store, get yourself some HEET in a bottle. Pour that in and drive your baby around. I am sure within no time at all with you doing that she will be purring like a kitten again. MAY wanna get two bottles, but one should do it.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Banditz
Racer

Originally Posted by happiedazs
I LOVE techron for the sensor issues we have, BUT am not sure if its meant to combine with water like HEET is. So i can not say this will work for sure or not. BUT if it's acohol based like HEET is then it "Should" work as well. Just like using additive's for what they are designed for. But again, for all I know they may even have it right on the bottle that it will work for water in gas, Just cant remember if it does or not.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:54 PM
elctron02
Instructor

So i bought a few different types. I put 2 in. I had a full tank. The car wont start at first. Then she turned over. It had a rough idle for awhile. It shut off a couple of times. Then she started to run better. She was able stay on around 750 rpms. Took it around the block. Not great but bettter. I still think i need a new filter and possibly a pump?
Now hear this. As im trying to on this problem, i now cant get the car in reverse. Never had a problem with reverse. Whats going on with my c5. I dont even drive it hard. Never raced. Could it be a solenoid?
Old 08-19-2012, 09:20 PM
Banditz
Racer

What "types" did you put in? If you did not put any thing in meant to get water out then you wont solve your issue. As far as filter goes, it's never a bad thing to change. BUT for what it's worth, once the additive gets in the fuel system pretty good there will be NO water anywhere left in the system. Including the filter.. that stuff does exactly what it's meant to do! Otherwise I would not have told you to put it in...

Now, as for reverse..I imagine the first thing to do is turn the car off and try again to slide her into reverse. Post up if that works.. On the old t5's i could tell you whatever you wanted to know, i rebuilt three of them to World class specs and beyond. But with these 6 speed fawker's I just dont know buddy. Good luck and I am sure someone with more info on the trans will post up!
Old 08-19-2012, 11:26 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 184 Posts

With water in the fuel, the car will be very hard to start, idle poorly until it is hot and then (usually) run OK. Is this what you are seeing?
Old 08-20-2012, 06:37 AM
elctron02
Instructor

Yes. I probably need to run the car till no gas a few times

QUOTE=jcgunn;1581614526]With water in the fuel, the car will be very hard to start, idle poorly until it is hot and then (usually) run OK. Is this what you are seeing?[/QUOTE]

Get notified of new replies

To Idle and hesitation problems dirt gas

Quick Reply: Idle and hesitation problems dirt gas