C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is the mileage really stored in the C5 corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 03:58 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Default Where is the mileage really stored in the C5 corvette?

So I have been reading and reading all over the forum and web on this. I have yet to find a true solid answer.

From what I have read it would appear that the mileage is stored in the IPC (instrument panel cluster) main motherboard. If you swap this board into a new or donor IPC you would appear to be ok?

I also have read that if you just swap in a new or used IPC without reprogramming it or swapping out the boards that you will in a way double your mileage? You would in fact get your stock mileage (which must be stored somewhere else other then the IPC and readable through the OBD2 port), plus whatever mileage has been stored in the chip on the new/donor IPC motherboard. So if you had 10,000 on your car + new/donor IPC has 10,000 miles stored in it's chip...when you put that IPC in your car, you will show 20,000? I dunno if this is true it is just what I read.

This got me to thinking when I get inspected...are they asking me for mileage to write it down or are they comparing the number to make sure it matches that of what their computer is reading coming out of my OBD2 port.

Any tuners or guys who have ever worked at the inspection places ever see the mileage when reading information out the OBD2 port?

Last edited by XtremeVette; 09-25-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:37 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 76 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by XtremeVette
I also have read that if you just swap in a new or used IPC without reprogramming it or swapping out the boards that you will in a way double your mileage? You would in fact get your stock mileage (which must be stored somewhere else other then the IPC and readable through the OBD2 port), plus whatever mileage has been stored in the chip on the new/donor IPC motherboard.
Please provide a link. I have never heard (nor experienced) this information.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:41 PM
heavymetals
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

So I have been reading and reading all over the forum and web on this. I have yet to find a true solid answer.

From what I have read it would appear that the mileage is stored in the IPC (instrument panel cluster) main motherboard. If you swap this board into a new or donor IPC you would appear to be ok?

I also have read that if you just swap in a new or used IPC without reprogramming it or swapping out the boards that you will in a way double your mileage? You would in fact get your stock mileage (which must be stored somewhere else other then the IPC and readable through the OBD2 port), plus whatever mileage has been stored in the chip on the new/donor IPC motherboard. So if you had 10,000 on your car + new/donor IPC has 10,000 miles stored in it's chip...when you put that IPC in your car, you will show 20,000? I dunno if this is true it is just what I read.

This got me to thinking when I get inspected...are they asking me for mileage to write it down or are they comparing the number to make sure it matches that of what their computer is reading coming out of my OBD2 port.

Any tuners or guys who have ever worked at the inspection places ever see the mileage when reading information out the OBD2 port?
The mileage is in the IPC.

"This value is permanently stored in the EEPROM of the IPC. If an odometer malfunction occurs or if the IPC must be replaced, an authorized Delco service center must be contacted to program proper vehicle specifics (including mileage) for the IPC. "

There are several "authorized" places that do repair/replacement.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:41 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky131969

This is a subject that always sends flags up for me. We've even had someone post up here that they were going to trade their car in asking how to turn the odometer back - which is a Federal crime IIRC.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:56 PM
heavymetals
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Here is a link to a repair service:

http://www.mrwhizard.com/

From their disclaimer:

"Odometer setting and reprogramming with notarized proof of mileage. "
Old 09-25-2012, 05:03 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Here is the link lucky. I know I have seen you in just about every IPC /mileage related thread. Scroll down...even Bill Curlee is questioning it. Doesn't seem right but at the same time...doesn't seem right that the IPC is the only place that stores the mileage? If that was the case, all it would take is someone to purchase a cluster from ebay and throw it in there with 10,000 or so miles less and nobody would probably catch on?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...er-change.html
Old 09-25-2012, 05:06 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by heavymetals
The mileage is in the IPC.

"This value is permanently stored in the EEPROM of the IPC. If an odometer malfunction occurs or if the IPC must be replaced, an authorized Delco service center must be contacted to program proper vehicle specifics (including mileage) for the IPC. "

There are several "authorized" places that do repair/replacement.
No no...Iam not disagreeing. I completely believe the mileage is stored on that chip in the IPC. I also am very curious if the car itself stores it in another place as well and the chip every mile is "updated". That to me would make more sense? I dunno. Only way I guess we would know is if someone can plug into the OBD2 port and read the mileage while the IPC is out of the car. If they can well that would rule that theory out? Just curious is all.

Just had another thought...what if someone was to disconnect the IPC and drive the car for 5,000 miles and then reconnected it? Would it still show the original mileage before the disconnect? I dunno guys...just sounds way to easy to be able to tamper with the mileage...even if you did it inadvertently. I know I can get to my IPC to disconnect it in 30 mins or less. If it is true that this is the only place it stores your mileage...good thing I didn't take it for a trip while I worked on my IPC.....hmmmm ponders...

Last edited by XtremeVette; 09-25-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:39 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by WKMCD

This is a subject that always sends flags up for me. We've even had someone post up here that they were going to trade their car in asking how to turn the odometer back - which is a Federal crime IIRC.
Well that's great and I can understand your concern but no funny business going on here. Just a member looking to try and figure it all out. Iam not a noob, been around Corvettes and the IPCs for quite some time now. Iam not a supporting vendor yet so I can't get into specifics on the IPC work I do. That is why it may have come off a bit shady....my apologies if it did.

Last edited by XtremeVette; 09-25-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:43 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Here is the link lucky. I know I have seen you in just about every IPC /mileage related thread. Scroll down...even Bill Curlee is questioning it. Doesn't seem right but at the same time...doesn't seem right that the IPC is the only place that stores the mileage? If that was the case, all it would take is someone to purchase a cluster from ebay and throw it in there with 10,000 or so miles less and nobody would probably catch on?
Not sure what is soo shocking about this......it's been this way since odometers have been in cars. You find a cluster with a lower mileage, and swap them out.

...and why does it not "seem right", that the IPC be the sole holder of the mileage data? It's always been that way, the cluster stores the mileage, whether in mechanical, or digital format. So yes, if your odometer is good, and your IPC has otherwise taken a dump, you can transfer the board over to a good IPC. While this is not exactly "legal", there is nothing dishonest about it, because you are transferring the actual mileage of the vehicle. Now.......if your odometer has gone bad, and you install an IPC with lower mileage in your car....then you take your chances of getting caught.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:53 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Not sure what is soo shocking about this......it's been this way since odometers have been in cars. You find a cluster with a lower mileage, and swap them out.

...and why does it not "seem right", that the IPC be the sole holder of the mileage data? It's always been that way, the cluster stores the mileage, whether in mechanical, or digital format. So yes, if your odometer is good, and your IPC has otherwise taken a dump, you can transfer the board over to a good IPC. While this is not exactly "legal", there is nothing dishonest about it, because you are transferring the actual mileage of the vehicle. Now.......if your odometer has gone bad, and you install an IPC with lower mileage in your car....then you take your chances of getting caught.

hmmm very VERY interesting...well good to know man. I'll be sure to keep it in the back of my mind to never drive the car while working on or repairing an IPC. I'll be able to also pass it on to my customers as well.

Thanks Lucky...appreciate the info.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:19 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Actually, the 90-96 vettes have the mileage in the body control module, and it is not reprogramable and a bitch to replace. The C5's have it in the instrument panel as pre 1990s do. I think that the OP was concerned that it may be in the BCM too.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:23 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by zr1fred
Actually, the 90-96 vettes have the mileage in the body control module, and it is not reprogramable and a bitch to replace. The C5's have it in the instrument panel as pre 1990s do. I think that the OP was concerned that it may be in the BCM too.
Good to know. I'll add that fact to my list, of why I'll never own a C4.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:15 AM
whitesmokels1
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's my story.
I have a '98 with no HUD option. The car had 152K miles on it.
I bought a used 02 cluster, hud projector, harness and dash with 61K miles.
When I swapped it all out, the odo read 61K miles. No doubling mileage here. (well on the DIC, that is. not sure about BCM)
Old 09-26-2012, 10:19 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by whitesmokels1
....not sure about BCM
Nothing to do with the BCM. I knew that post would cause confusion.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:20 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by whitesmokels1
Here's my story.
I have a '98 with no HUD option. The car had 152K miles on it.
I bought a used 02 cluster, hud projector, harness and dash with 61K miles.
When I swapped it all out, the odo read 61K miles. No doubling mileage here. (well on the DIC, that is. not sure about BCM)
Nah if it were going to do that, it would show up on the DIC as being the accumulated mileage. I think the guy that said the mileage doubled was misinformed or something...been reading more today and besides that 1 post...I have yet to find anybody else reporting it working that way.

Did you have any issues with getting it inspected after you did the cluster swap? That's a pretty hefty jump for someone not to notice. 152K and now you only have 61K.

Last edited by XtremeVette; 09-26-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:36 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

BCM contains ZERO mileage data. Ive replaced several BCMs and had no mileage changes or mismatches.

The IPCs are plug and play.

Heres a post on whats inside one!

- C5 Gage Cluster disassembly - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...post1570380674

- C5 Gage Cluster Post - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...post1570380878
Old 09-26-2012, 10:33 PM
bracketshark
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced a instrument cluster in a C-4 (96) vette with a unit out of a wrecked car and the original milage remained on the Odometer. I was told the BCM held the milage on those cars. I assumed the C5's were the same, just a thought?

Get notified of new replies

To Where is the mileage really stored in the C5 corvette?

Old 09-26-2012, 10:38 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by bracketshark
I assumed the C5's were the same....
Nope.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:22 PM
whitesmokels1
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you have any issues with getting it inspected after you did the cluster swap? That's a pretty hefty jump for someone not to notice. 152K and now you only have 61K.
I just did the swap about 6 months ago and have not had to get it inspected yet. I plan on getting it programmed before I do.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:16 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Well that's great and I can understand your concern but no funny business going on here. Just a member looking to try and figure it all out. Iam not a noob, been around Corvettes and the IPCs for quite some time now. Iam not a supporting vendor yet so I can't get into specifics on the IPC work I do. That is why it may have come off a bit shady....my apologies if it did.
Really looking forward to anything you are working on Jeff. It has GOT to be interesting.

I also have little doubt it will be unique and very well thought out.

Quick Reply: Where is the mileage really stored in the C5 corvette?