C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

some questions about stall converters

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Bluesteve1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default some questions about stall converters

After doing a little research on modding an A4, I’ve noticed that people say that a stall is one of the “best bang for your buck” mods you can do. I’m going to be looking for a stall to buy, but I have no idea where to start (Brands, which kind, cheapest place to buy, etc). I want the car to still be a daily driver(even though I only drive it on weekends lol) and comfortable to drive. I have a few questions about a stall: do they affect gas mileage and do they only help with launching from the line (track, red light, etc). Sorry I don’t know too much about stalls. what goes into installing one(plan on doingthe job myself with some buddies)?
Old 10-02-2012, 10:30 PM
67ermine
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A stall will also help from a roll in that it will get motor into higher rpm power band quicker. So, say I have a 3600 converter and I'm cruising at 2000 rpm when I punch it the RPM instantly jump to 3600 like slipping a clutch. Because they slip more they build up heat so, you will want a auxiliary trans cooler. Save some money for new tires, also.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:57 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A higher stall converter and gears are the wonder upgrade for autos. I would do both at the same time. They will compliment each other well and require the same labor. Fuel economy will suffer a little in town as the engine will be in higher rpms in each gear as you speed up. Highway wont make a difference because the converter will be locked up and act the same as stock.
The benefit is not only from the launch, like 67er said, it will bring you to a more useful rpm instantaneously when you mash the peddle. A good converter around 3200 to 3600 with lower gears like 3.42's will make an incredible increase in acceleration. Sticky tires will be needed to make full use of the setup and tuning will be needed for shift points etc.

Look up Yank converters and read some of their info. I went with their SS3200 converter. Very high quality brand and well recommended by members of this forum. Pricey, but worth it. You can always call them and get info for your particular setup.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Bluesteve1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NukeC5
A good converter around 3200 to 3600 with lower gears like 3.42's will make an incredible increase in acceleration. Sticky tires will be needed to make full use of the setup and tuning will be needed for shift points etc.
thanks for the info I will probably go with a 3200 stall when I get it. Did you install it yourself?
I have 3.15s right now so would it be a waste to upgrade to 3.42s? also would a mail order tune be able to take care of the stall or would I need to go to a dyno?

My car currentily has Falken FK 452s right now. Is that pretty good tire or should I go with a Nitto or other brand?
Old 10-04-2012, 12:43 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesteve1
thanks for the info I will probably go with a 3200 stall when I get it. Did you install it yourself?
I have 3.15s right now so would it be a waste to upgrade to 3.42s? also would a mail order tune be able to take care of the stall or would I need to go to a dyno?

My car currentily has Falken FK 452s right now. Is that pretty good tire or should I go with a Nitto or other brand?
No, I actually canceled my appointment to install today. I'm still in the middle of this job myself! I decided to do a torque tube rebuild and hardened output diff shafts while I'm at it, that way any power I throw at it in the future will be fine through the drive train. I do have the 3.42 diff installed currently. My info is coming form previous vehicles and ones I have experienced.
If you have 3.15's, I personally would keep them. They are a great all around gear for performance and fuel economy. A 2.73 is a for sure, but you would not notice as much from changing your 3.15 gears. Also a 3200 stall would work great with 3.15's. I was told by Yank that most 3.42 guys go with a 3600, but for a primarily street vehicle, the manners of the 3200 would be the way to go. So for the 3.15's a 3000 to 3200 would be my recommendation. But I would call the place you are buying the converter and get their opinion.

Save the money on the diff and get a good converter and cooler setup. Possibly upgrade the torque tube couplers to polyurithane and replace the bearings while you are at it. Then you will have a nice trustworthy setup.

Oh, and your tires should be fine. They are Falken's ultra-high performance street tire, so unless you are cammed or supercharged or something, they should handle a bolt on's car with a higher stall converter fine. Of course, if they do not, then change them. Wait though. And a mail order tune can be ordered to come with all the new specs you need. I however tried this when I changed the diff with no luck. I went in for a real tune and my problems of redlining where gone. I recommend a real tune from a competent shop.

Get notified of new replies

To some questions about stall converters

Quick Reply: some questions about stall converters