C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

couple of stock suspension upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 05:25 PM
andy9743
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple of stock suspension upgrade questions

1999 frc over 100k everything is stock suspension wise. finally had a chance today to put it up in the air and take a look at things. sways are stock with the plastic end links, stock shocks. planning to replace the end links with metal and i found some bilsteins for a good price in the for sales last week and jumped on them. anything else to order while im at it? the bushings for the sways looked so so...these are just rubber, replace as well? also front drivers tire has movement when you grab it and move side to side. solid top to bottom side to side has considerable play. all the rest of the tires are good left to right and top to bottom. tie rod? ball joint? ran out of time to dig into it any further.

thanks guys!
Old 12-03-2012, 12:34 AM
superjet701k
Pro

Originally Posted by andy9743
1999 frc over 100k everything is stock suspension wise. finally had a chance today to put it up in the air and take a look at things. sways are stock with the plastic end links, stock shocks. planning to replace the end links with metal and i found some bilsteins for a good price in the for sales last week and jumped on them. anything else to order while im at it? the bushings for the sways looked so so...these are just rubber, replace as well? also front drivers tire has movement when you grab it and move side to side. solid top to bottom side to side has considerable play. all the rest of the tires are good left to right and top to bottom. tie rod? ball joint? ran out of time to dig into it any further.

thanks guys!
. I have 2004 z51 front sway bar and a 1 inch rear sway bar 125 bucks plus shipping . Pm me for more info.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:43 PM
tomlink
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 124 Posts

I added Bilstein Sport shocks to my C5 last year. It felt better than the stock shocks but I wasn't really impressed. Then I purchased a set of C6 Z51 sway bars and Pfadt poly bushings from partstaxi.com for $200. It really woke up the suspension, I guess I must have had some slop in the sway bushings as the car now really feels sure-footed (handles way better than when new), damped, and still has a great ride. Best $200 upgrade you can do for your C5. BTW, I have the metal end-links.

Last edited by tomlink; 12-03-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:56 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I would definitely replace the shocks, sway bar end links and bushings. The A Arm bushings should be OK if the car has seen street only duty. You have a problem requiring immediate attention on the drivers front. It could be a bad ball joint, tie rod end or based on the symptoms, probably the hub. Thoroughly check out all joints, etc. and replace as necessary. Then enjoy the new ride !
Old 12-04-2012, 09:43 AM
andy9743
Racer

Thanks guys I'll look to upgrade the sways with some poly mounts.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:34 AM
andy9743
Racer

Superjet you have a pm!
Old 12-04-2012, 04:55 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

ZO6 sway bars and links and shocks w/ base springs. That's the setup I had on my car.

Get notified of new replies

To couple of stock suspension upgrade questions

Quick Reply: couple of stock suspension upgrade questions